Headphone for 60/40 music and gaming

Haha, yea. If only I had them lol

Would not mind to be honest. Worthy cause :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t exactly want to A/B, but itā€™s cool listening to one full song, then going back with a different set of cans. Makes it interesting and makes you really think about what you really feel / think vs gut reactions.

Decembrists - Ooooo I do like this. Not exactly my cup of tea here, but still a good tune. This is my favorite thing by them tbh. Then again Iā€™m a sucker for The Chieftains so hey.
Monsune - Tasssstyyyyy. I like this a lot. Thatā€™s going on a playlist. Cheers :slight_smile:
Czarface - Now I gotta listen to more by him. Specific songā€™s not my cup of tea, but the references, mixing, and groove got me curious.
MF Doom - Goddammmmmnnnnnn. That intro tho. Again, not my cup of tea, but fuck thatā€™s hilarious an dthe backing/mixing/groove is 11/10.

Hereā€™s some shenangians from my spotify profile. Feel free to browse or skip lol

Also, cause why the fuck not. My favorite rendition of this tuneā€¦

1 Like

Oh wow! ive never heard the ships will sail, and Iā€™m def gonna give that spotify a good listening to. Yeah, DOOM and Czar have some of the most insane production Iā€™ve heard, and anything mixed by Madlib is pretty much gold. Monsune was a random one I found, but I was incredibly happy that I did. Lol, you got discord? I need new music recs, I currently have 1900+ songs on spotify but the goal is at least 3k

1 Like

Yea, the off-beat / non-rhyming at times kinda throw me off of the vocals and lyrics of the last two, but the backing brings me right back every time. Well balanced grooves are the shit.

Yea definitely. Itā€™s Pr3ssAltF4#9314

I know how you feel. Iā€™m regularly going on music exploration expeditions. All reccommendations are appreciated lol. Iā€™m running up on 5k liked songs and many more in disparate playlists lol. Still growing, but Iā€™ve mainly switched to tidal unless I canā€™t find it there (so most irish/scottish/yiddish music RIP).

Also, better equipment has made some songs that I wouldnā€™t have considered with stock gear not just bearable but enjoyable. Itā€™s one of the big reasons Iā€™ve jumped off the deep end and am going for a lot of DIY / expensive gear. Iā€™m finding myself getting into shit that was anathema to me before. Iā€™m also reappreciating / revisiting a lot of old stuff that I can now find more details / musicality in. Itā€™s really cool

I think Iā€™ve honestly adapted it to it after listening to rap by the OGs, it seems to be something they utilize often. DOOM, Czar, Biggie, Aesop, and Em all give me examples off the top of where they lean on that heavily. But that productionā€¦ shit is heavenly.

wait, what kind of music has been made acceptable with better equipment?

1 Like

Example of where the LvR channel is more tastefully mixed in

Yea exactly. When I went investigating early rap I was thrown off by it. Early hip-hop removes a lot of it and I got into that much more. I think itā€™s an acquired taste, so I have to listen to more of it to really appreciate it.

Fuck yes. I could literally just have that playing with no vocals and Iā€™d be a happy boi.

The fact that DOOM has basically every one of his songs available on spotify in instrumental form (i believe) is a blessing lmao

1 Like

All of it lol. Literally everything. Being able to pull out more minor details, getting more details, and being able to pick the headset / ampfor the mood / song makes it much easier to appreciate any given style / genre / song / album at any given time imo. Been getting into more lo-fi (which I HATED during college) lately. The PM-50s and sundaras with my tubey boi give them the appropriate treatment to make them suitably engaging / do justice to what they should be.

I really do think owning multiple headphones / amps is the absolute best thing you can do to give you better overall enjoyment / initiative to explore. Opened up a lot of fronts for me.

1 Like

Oh, thats interesting, I hadnā€™t even considered songs or genres that I may not only not be a fan of but actively dislike could be made enjoyable to me with the right cans. I personally really hate country and screamo, I canā€™t imagine being made to like screamo but with the right cans I can see myself even enjoying country.

Yea. Decidedly not a fan of country or screamo. I think a lot of that is that good cans / sources / amps bring out the bad aspects of poorly mixed or recorded songs too. Country has a LOT of that. Old school bluegrass / folk / appalachia howeverā€¦

Screamo I havenā€™t really done too much of. I think thatā€™s a mood that I donā€™t super appreciate. But thatā€™s just me.

For example. I was a moderate fan of Led Zeppelin / The Who before good hardware. Now? Iā€™m a fucking diehard goddamn. The shit that this hardware brings out of these recordings is fucking magical. Kinda flipped what I listened to.

The worst part is I know thereā€™s more to pull out, but my wallet can only take so much lol

1 Like

Yeah, im right there with you almost exactly. County i cant do, but anything folk or bluegrass Iā€™m in love with. For folk, I cannot give enough praise to harley poe. My one wish is that, someday, Herschell Goes to Heaven one day lands on spotify. Transvestives Can Be Cannibals Too is also a great shout.

Also, the strangest and debatably my favorite song of all time period is a two way tie between one called The Devilā€™s Train by the Lab Rats, which is sadly only on youtube, and The Bus is Late by Satelite High, which is also unfortunately stuck on youtube. Both are rap but also tell stories like folk songs and have insane production and fuck all i want is to be able to stream them man.

Fuck, now I need to relisten to both of those. Itā€™s been ages since I just enjoyed those two masterpieces.

Holy fuck, I forgot how good Devilā€™s train is. Absolutely the best story telling song I have ever heard imo.

1 Like

Mmmm yes. Hereā€™s an interesting one. Thoughts on the Punch Brothers? Hereā€™s a good album imo. And literally everything Chris Thile has ever done. Heā€™s the front man for the Punch Brothers btw.

Smithsonian recording has more production and music value than most country that comes out today. From like 1930-1950 or something? Idk. Still better than country music despite itā€™s flaws.

Folk revival stuff. Yay Tom Paxton. I would pay both my nuts to see a gaslight concert.

Doc Watson. The best almost blind man to ever touch a guitar.

Much more modern

Dunno why the fuck this is in my bluegrass & appalachia playlist but fuck it, yo-yo ma is a goddamn genius

Another modern bluegrass tune

Prolly my favorite modern take on a bluegrass tune. For reference Iā€™m a yank at heart but fuck this gets me.

1 Like

Welp, time to binge, haha

1 Like

And I would be remiss if I didnā€™t throw at least one Pete Seeger tune in there.

One Chris Thile real bluegrass tune

And one Phil Ochs tune

1 Like

Iā€™m going through the spotify list, and randomly found Oxford, Ms by David Knowles. Iā€™ve never heard that, and this song is nothing short of incredible, i love this fucking vibe

1 Like

Another one of my favorites. Has made it onto a bunch of playlists.

1 Like

i canā€™t fault you for that, his shit is gas, im glad i discovered him lmao

@Pr3ssAltF4 thanks for the detailed review/breakdown/comparison. Iā€™ll be listening to the songs you listed on a 4xx and hopefully I can understand what you are describing. Iā€™m new to the hobbyā€¦ =)

1 Like

I finally ended up getting a pair of original X2ā€™s, and now im already going back and forth between the 770ā€™s and the X2ā€™s, god iā€™ve caught the audiophile fever lmao

1 Like

Would highly recommend picking up a pair of 4XXs afterwards. Whichever one you really like more will give you a good idea of what to look for later down the line.

Donā€™t worry, thereā€™s still gobs of improvement and new stuff to discover after the 770s :stuck_out_tongue:

Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks man! Iā€™m actually really tempted to jump for Argons or Verum Ones, but i might snag the 6xxs or 4xxs before that. Oh god, decisions decisions. Thankfully i have a little cash now, lol.