Headphone/Headset for High Level CS:GO

Hello, I currently find my self lost amidst so many opinions (usually for the same item, some people say it’s very good, and others say it’s horrible and not suitable for games). With that in mind, I came to ask you for help… please, i’m super lost kk.

My focus’s CS:GO high level (I’ll listen songs and watch movies too, but casually, is not the focus).
The headphone can be closed or open back, I just want something really nice for my use.
I intend to start without a dac/amp and can purchase it in the future, if it’s necessary.
I currently have a Kraken Multi Platform, but its sounds are too confusing, I often find myself lost amidst the game sounds.
I will buy in USA, my budget is around $220 for the headphone (I will use with a modmic, if it’s necessary).

I accept other recommendations as well, but for now what I found were these:
Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee;
Sennheiser 560S;
Sennheiser Game Zero ( or PC37X or Game One );
Beyerdynamic 770 PRO ( or TYGR 300R );
Hyper X Cloud II ( I’m actually afraid all those above aren’t as good as him. Please give me a opnion about this ).

I appreciate any help, thanks SO MUCH.

Is this console or pc? If pc what motherboard are you planning to use to drive these without an amp/dac?

would work and is very well rounded but is slightly demanding in power… will need a strong motherboard to full drive.

better than the 58x jubilee but still reference grade neutrality.

your better off throwing it in a trash can in comparison to the other headphones on this list. PC38x would be decently alright but still not as good as the headphones from beyer

DT 770 pro is a V signature… it has a little bit too much in the bass but is still extremely good. Tygr 300r is essentially one of the best for gaming in general at its price as you can find them even B stock from beyer for like… $150

hmm, not sure why your worried they aren’t as good as a hyperx? hyperx clouds are based on takstar pro 82… they are decent but comparing this to the sennheiser or beyers? not even remotely close in terms of performance. I would recommend crossing this off your list.

1 Like

I have a PC, with a NZXT B550 N7 motherboard. I’m planning to start without an amp/dac, and in the future, if necessary, get one.
I just read everything you typed. But, despite everything, I continued with some doubts:

Would the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R be better than the 560S in fps games? Like CS: GO, or valorant, in terms of positional audio and sound separation? (not considering values, just performance).

Would I need a dac/amplifier to improve the performance of one of these headphones in gaming?

And lastly, the 58X Jubilee, from what I’ve researched, looks like a great headset. But for games, it doesn’t perform well, right? Compared to others in the same value range (or even cheaper). Why? What makes you unable, for example, to locate enemies as correctly (or other aspects) as others?

(Audio) gear really doesn’t matter when it comes to competitive advantage. Sure, you should play with headphones, but that is basically it.

I was top 1% in non FPS games, top 25% in some FPS games and have friends playing in private CS:GO leagues which are exclusive for global rank players, with a combined 50$ spend for mouse+keyboard+headphones. (edit: one uses 60hz 100$ monitor as well)

1 Like

This is very interesting. Analyzing the budget of the mouse, keyboard, headphone and monitor that you exemplified, it is concluded that, despite having many very expensive options, they don’t matter that much?

I’m just gonna say you don’t realize how big of an advantage you can get out of audio tuned directly for fps games. The reason you placed that well was your game sense and reliable teammates. You’d shit bricks if you heard a proper fps centered headphone setup and you are just plain wrong saying headphones in general are all good enough. It comes down to the simple fact that you don’t know what you’re missing out on or you’ll never hear the difference anyways because not everyone can. The difference is colossal from entry level to high end.

1 Like

This is very interesting. Analyzing the budget of the mouse, keyboard, headphone and monitor that you exemplified, it is concluded that, despite having many very expensive options, they don’t matter that much?

I made the statement that gear in general doesn’t matter much. Does it make a difference? Maybe, but skill is around two orders of magnitude more important. If you are top 50% and you get better gear the gear itself won’t even put you in top 49%.

I further claim that audio gear in specific doesn’t deviate from the general rule. That claim isn’t exemplified by the general rule, but is true in and of itself. Please go and get the cheapest somewhat competent 5$ IEM (like a kz ate) and listen to this and then tell me that cheap headphones aren’t good enough for locating enemies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA).

I’m just gonna say you don’t realize how big of an advantage you can get out of audio tuned directly for fps games […] You’d shit bricks if you heard a proper fps centered headphone setup and you are just plain wrong saying headphones in general are all good enough. It comes down to the simple fact that you don’t know what you’re missing out on […]

I did play fps games with audio equipment costing well above 1k$ (HD800 and Xonar Essence ST) and I’m just gonna say, that the advantage you speak of does not exist.

[…] or you’ll never hear the difference anyways because not everyone can.

Lol. If you can’t hear the difference, why get the equipment in the first place :smiley: Do you know the story " The Emperor’s New Clothes"… this is “it is so much better and if you disagree with me, it is because your ears suck” :smiley:

The reason you placed that well was your game sense and reliable teammates

What do you know about my teammates? If I play competitive, I usually play solo/with matchmade teammates, so there is no reliability when it comes to mates. What you say about game sense is correct and is the key here!

Let me make this clear: When playing FPS games it is extremely important to be able to locate your enemies! I am always baffled when I play something like Valorant about how often in spectator mode I can clearly see that my teammates arent able to tell where the enemies are. This ability to locate an enemy is one crucial input for your game sense. And that is where it’s relevancy stops. Good ability to locate an enemy is crucial, but that alone puts you maybe from top 50% to top 45-40%. But any headphone does this!

Note that I am talking about competitive advantage! If you want a nicer headphone, a more comfortable headphone, a more convenient headphone, a more pleasant headphone for music listening, etc. I am all for it. If you want a wider soundstage or better imaging, if you want a more immersive sound I will be the least person to stop you. Just don’t think you will get a competitive advantage.

1 Like

Top 25% in an fps is pathetically easy. Hell, top 1% is fairly easy if you have fps skills. If you aren’t getting anything from good audio, it’s because you can’t hear. It’s not an emperors new clothes thing, it’s real. I’m done entertaining this. It’s not a small advantage. Source gear itself can make a huge difference especially when it comes to noise floor which makes near silent sounds stand out really well. I wallbang people using dead silence all day long in call of duty just by hearing them. Nobody on a pair of razer headphones hooked up to their motherboard is going to be capable of that. Nobody.

I’ll keep using my he1000se and modded gl2000s and keep stomping people with sound cheats, you can keep placing in the bottom 75%.

1 Like

Well, I completely understand what you said.
in fact, I’m looking for another headphone, simply because I think my kraken often gets the sounds pretty messy in the middle of the game, and also, I often don’t hear some crucial details.
But, on the other hand, I didn’t expect that headphones in general wouldn’t have big differences in terms of games, I thought it was something broader.
Anyway, I appreciate your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Pokrog, could you recommend a good headset for competitive fps? I bet your HE1000SE is awesome, but unfortunately it would be too much for me, I’m looking for something around $220.

Let’s agree to disagree then.

This is hilarious though… as a bottom 75%er I was easily able to wallbang people across the map neither having seen or heared them at all :smiley:

Depends on the game and person. Tygr has more soundstage in comparison and very close to even imaging meaning it can place sounds from further away. In comparison though tygr has slightly recessive mids making those specific sounds a bit quieter while 560s is more mids so they are better in that frequency. Most of your sound placement in fps come from highs or treble which both have raised and excel at… both are exceptional choices with 560s being neutral bright and tygr being a very subtle v shape meaning more bass and treble… bass on tygr is not an issue.

Both are low requirement as long as you have the power your fine as they dont scale to the degree of say like dt 880 at 600 ohms

It performs extremely well and is very rounded it’s just 560s due to the nature of its signature makes it better for fps specifically

Imaging(accuracy of the placement), soundstage(how far can the sound be placed), and emphasis on the correct sound signature frequencies are what put them apart

1 Like

@Falenkor will always steer you right

1 Like

Also I forgot… every pro player sponsored by razer can do that btw.

(well they do use an audio interface at events though afaik)
(that is a Razer Hammerhead IEM btw)

Man, thank you so much, you really helped me a lot.
And I bet it helped many others, I’ve seen several posts here, where you collaborated :slight_smile:

My last questions:
Is my motherboard, NZXT B550 N7, relatively good at audio?
It can handle even how many ohms, more or less? I don’t know if I can trust the technical file, I’m very new in the audiophile world.

Keeping in mind a detachable cable headphone, is there any upgrades I can make to the cables to make them better?
If yes, which one?
If not, what would be the advantage of a detachable cable?

This is a heavily opinionated remark that I full on disagree… just because you did well doesnt mean good audio doesn’t help let alone provide advantage.

^ this… especially in bigger fps…

They go hand in hand less your competing in the big leagues which everyone uses the same stuff to keep things fair

Your more than welcome to disagree but as you can see many here believe otherwise… getting snarky over it goes nowhere… if we cant keep things civil see yourself out(that goes to any of you)… move on agree to disagree.

@Pokrog let’s stay on track yea?

I try to atleast lol.

I’m a little busy to check on this atm I’d have to check the specs later.

So tygrs are attached cable but can be modded to be detached… personally I cant hear the difference in cables but results vary since we all hear differently. Detached cables are better imo since you can replace them… only disadvantage is accidentally yanking it that I can think of.

1 Like

Didn’t intend to be snarky and reading it back, I don’t know what you think is snarky about my remark. I was pointing out that the way he discusses the topic wasn’t productive.

In a constructive discussion you can say: “Audio gear makes a huge difference” - the fact that it’s an opinion is implied.
In a constructive discussion you can’t say: “You’d shit bricks if you heard a proper fps centered headphone setup and you are just plain wrong saying headphones in general are all good enough. It comes down to the simple fact that you don’t know what you’re missing out on or you’ll never hear the difference anyways because not everyone can.”
The latter (unsnarkley) translates to: “You are either too poor or you are half-deaf if you don’t agree with my opinion”

1 Like

Would look into that mb of yours, its using the codec that typically comes with op amps or smart amps in the back ports… if that’s the case you should be fairly fine with the headphones… it just may not be good for say 250 ohm beyers

actually home to check that…

Realtek® ALC1220 Codec- 8-Channel High Definition Audio, 32-bit /192KHz DAC- 120dB SNR DAC with Differential Amplifier
NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier for Front Panel Audio Connector (Supports up to 600 Ohm impedance headsets)

^ there we go… yeah so the motherboard does have the op amps installed on it… just make sure its the right ports being used and your fine to run these… should do fine even with around 250 ohm beyers just dont trust the 600 ohm statement as I can almost guarantee that to be bs or just not sound that great.

@vers3h

SMFC here, and while I’m not the greatest, I’d like to think I’m at least decent.
I’ve tried quite a few headphones in CS and the one I usually go to is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700x. Probably the best headphone for competitive games in this price bracket afaik. It does need the rubberband mod to be fully comfortable, plus I had to replace the earpads for Brainwawz XL because my ears are rather pointy, but it’s my favourite gaming headphone.

The 58X and 560S should both be pretty good, with the 560S being better suited to CS due to it’s sound signature. I’ve played quite a few games with my HD600, and while it’s REALLY clear, I do sometimes (though rarely) have trouble with verticality (Vertigo and Nuke are a bit confusing, though not as much as with most, if not all, gaming headsets). I’d forgo the Game Zero, One and PC37x for the PC38X, it’s just better.

The 770 Pro is quite good, no issues with imaging and it has rather clear top-end, but the subs are a bit too strong for my tastes… in CS at least. Haven’t acutally tried the TYGR, so no comments from me there.

As far as the Cloud II goes, it’s not really bad, but it’s not particularly good either.

Perfect, more focused on maintenance then.

That’s so cool !! I bought it, but I wasn’t focused on the audio configuration, because I didn’t know this world kk
finally, I am very grateful for the affection, attention and reception from all of you, it was crucial to clear all my doubts !! :slight_smile:

Could you tell me if this fact would happen with the 560S, 58x, Game Zero or the ATH-AD700x as well? I play a lot of Vertigo and Nuke (almost all maps actually)
I’m almost set to take the 560S (I loved the look of the 58x Jubilee and it was my first choice before, but I’ve seen several people commenting that the 560S would be much better than it when it comes to FPS games) and a modmic.
I also think about Game Zero, in case I don’t have a lot of money at the time, it seems to me a relatively good option, and mainly, cheap.