Headphones for Gaming, Streaming and Music

Hey!
I’ve spent some time looking around for some headphones but to no luck. I need some headphones for gaming and listening to some music, I’d like to spend around £200 but can go up to £350 if it is worth it.
Currently, I’m using M50x’s that I got about 4 years ago, a JDS Labs EL Amp II that I recently bought and a GoXLR, which is great but has a terrible headphone amp, hence my recent acquisition of a new amp. (I’m aware the GoXLR doesn’t have the greatest DAC but it’s super useful for everything else I do)

I don’t have too many requirements for them, just something that will sound amazing to my untrained ears however avoiding sound leakage so my mic doesn’t pick them up would be nice (I’m using a Shure SM7b that’s really near my mouth) Good imaging is important for me if possible! I’m going to use these headphones for a long time so I really want them to last.

I originally was looking at a pair of closed back headphones like the DT1770 pro’s but have seen some mixed review on them. I’ve also been eyeing up the DT880 600ohms but need a second opinion
If anyone else has any other suggestions for headphones I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

The 880 600 ohm would be a pretty solid choice for what you are looking for, what type of music do you listen to, and also how often are you gaming/streaming vs music? I mean a 770 250 ohm is pretty solid if isolation and prevention of leak is extremely important (the 880 does have some leak but setting your mic gain and listening at a reasonable volume with a sm7b it shouldn’t be an issue imo)

1 Like

hmm, could you describe what you mean by this? Sounds like you want a closed back for starters but theres a lot of different styles of headphones. Some people like bass others like vocals some just like a very well rounded headphone. Going to second the questions here alongside m0n on what type of music do you listen too and the like that would help

1 Like

Mainly I listen to electronic/sythwave music with a bit of rock and metal. Isolation is pretty important to me but I’m currently using my m50x’s with velour pads that leak a lot of noise. As long as the noise leakage isn’t super extreme I should be ok.

Gotcha, then at that price range the 880 600 is pretty solid, good match with the el amp ii imo. They will leak but it won’t be too bad imo. They are pretty neutral so good for streaming and monitoring, great for gaming with very accurate imaging and staging, and for music they are pretty great performers imo for something neutral yet impressive. Also comfort is great (go for the 880 600 premium), and they are very durable headphones

Regarding the 1770, personally I am not a fan as I think they were poorly tuned and come off sloppy and unrefined. The 177x go is pretty sweet and mainly corrects the tuning issue but isn’t going to be something you can get ahold of easily where you are

Other open options might leak too much and cause issues, and I think some of the other closed backs that suit your needs would get too high in price imo. The akg k371 might be up your alley, but isn’t the best for comp gaming imo although is solid for music and content creation

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! The 880’s look great from everything I’ve heard so I’m gonna save my money over the 1770 pro’s.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Going to agree here with the 1770 being inferior to the 177x go. Also will agree that the dt 880s do sound good here But will also say the dt 770s are good too if you wanted a closed back with more bass. Both are Bright headphones. If you wanted a warm headphone without TOO much leakeage while being open shp9500 and fidelio x2 hr are good suggestions just not the greatest for competitive. Balanced sounding headphones I would definitely point to the HD 598, HD 558 for more bass, or the 58x Jubilee. Lastly, if you wanted a very good planar I would say the Sundara from hifiman is great for an all rounder

1 Like

I’m a pretty casual gamer here so as long as they sound good and have half decent imaging I should be good!

Personally for streaming I think if you are going to accurately eq and balance things I wouldn’t suggest the x2 hr imo, it’s not going to do well for that

Way too much leak for streaming imo, although good headphones

Solid pick, not as good imaging and spatial recreation as the beyers imo, but a bit more warmer and thicker for music, neutral enough for most average things you would do for setting up a stream

1 Like

Still waking up. just now realized this has streaming okay yeah no definitely dont go x2 hr or sundara in that regard lmao. At least not for streaming. Was trying to mention other headphones due to the sole fact that not everyone enjoys a brighter headphone and there is some people who have very large distaste for raised treble

1 Like

his tastes sound like mine
if so, i think the 177x go, right?

1 Like

Pretty damn hard to find outside NA from my experience, but it is a good choice

1 Like

Currently I’ve been very happy with my M50x’s and my Bose qc 35 ii for travelling, how do they compare to those?

i missed where he said he wasnt in NA lol
my b

1 Like

Hmm would argons or aeons be accessible? Those are pretty nice. MMX 300 is said to be like the argons too since he has access to beyer

1 Like

I had a look on massdrop, Looks like I should be able to get the 177x GO shipped to the UK pretty easily so that’s still an option!

Hmmmm, argons are nice, but imo for comp gaming a bit harder to work with, and a bit too unbalanced for doing any content creations, and harder to find outside the us, but those would be a more fun pick. mmx 300 is solid but it’s pretty pricey for what it is, along with an unneeded mic.

Aeons would work well but that would most likely be pushing the budget

Huh, that would be pretty great if you can do that and they aren’t crazy expensive

1 Like

well he said hes a casual gamer is why I mentioned them and the mic on the mmx300 would be nice for someone who wants to chat.

The 177x is a absolutely fantastic headphone imo especially for casual gaming.

1 Like

But is it nicer than an sm7b lol

2 Likes

Point taken!

1 Like