Hearing protection

So in my new job, I’m working around a lot of semis and people working with power equipment (so what can be a noisy environment). With that in mind, I still need to be able to communicate clearly. I’ve noticed that with the ANC I’ve used, they can hinder my ability to hear another person talking to me.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to something that could help me protect my hearing? Or are standard foam ear plugs probably the best way to go?

well, ANC firearm muffs are really good at shutting down loud noises while letting you hear conversations and such. however I don’t know if the cutoff is low enough to take out the noises you’re dealing with.

2 Likes

Not cheap but maybe?..

1 Like

Wouldn’t recommend foam earplugs all day cause they expand and irritate the ear canal
Something like this is better or some HP like hearing protection like this that shouldn’t isolate too much

1 Like

I may look into the universal fit version. I’ve no idea how long those would take to get to me since I’m in the US
That $115 US shipped (with the faster shipping option) is kinda steep, and that’s on the one that isn’t custom.

1 Like

I have used this type of hearing protection and it works pretty well, especially if you have to try and communicate with others. I ended up going with full on ANC because of the relentless noise I have to endure daily. That said, these BeyerDynamic Lagoons have been outstanding.

The problem I have is I don’t know that I could get away with headphones.

I’m daft. I should have immediately mentioned Etymotic, since their claim to fame and majority focus is on hearing protection. they’ve got them down to science. I would consider reaching out and letting them know your situation and see what they recommend. in fact…you might want to see if there’s a dB meter app you can try to get sound readings for the areas you want to protect your hearing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may look into them, as from research, the reefers (depending on where you get your information from) can be as loud as 76-84db, and some of the power tools they’re using (drill, grinder, cordless rivet gun - the latter by far the quietest) and from my understanding, can exceed 120db. I’d absolutely say I need to get some more I am seeing some harder data.

1 Like

Etymotic Research ER20XS High-Fidelity Earplugs (Concerts, Musicians, Airplanes, Motorcycles, Sensitivity and Universal Hearing Protection) - Universal Fit, Standard/Large/Foam Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QL3ADG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_C3DJ1YKX26Q52AB244AG?psc=1
I’m gonna try snagging these and see how it goes. I’ll be snagging new bulbs for my instrument panel. One behind the tachometer has been out for a while and the one indicating when my brights are on just died.

So this is something I tried to work out myself when I used to be a mechanic and loaded planes. You’ll never find something that will work like you want without a communication device built in like pilots use while flying. Best I found that works specially around 120db is headphone style ear protection with silicon earplugs underneath, the silicone earplugs clean up really easy and will kill a hum of a reefer by themselves.

While a power tool is in use, I’m not as worried about having to talk to someone. While the reefer is running or while semis are driving around nearby is a bigger concern wren it comes to being able to communicate. I just ordered a set of the Etymotic ER20XS universal fit plugs from Amazon (Prime next day shipping, so…). I’ll give them a whirl and see how it goes.
Edit: The grinder is the only one that should get that loud, and even then, it’s not used that often and not for extended periods. This isn’t to say it doesn’t get used, just that it could very well be the worst of it.

2 Likes

I hope those work for you. I would actually prefer some sort of earplug myself but because of my messed up ears I would have to go with something custom fit and those are a bit too expensive for me. So the Lagoons will do. Good luck!

1 Like

Hey buddddyyyy…

I’ve been using this app today:

So far, the highest I’ve seen is a single spike to 105db. Granted, the grinder has yet to make an appearance, but I’m not expecting it to be anything too regular. Otherwise, things will occasionally spike into the 90s but average in the 80s. Still loud enough that I’d like something to save my hearing from too much damage.

Nice app, I would see if your microphone on your phone can handle anything higher than 105db.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a32_5g-10648.php
Well… not totally sure where to find it to be frank

Oh I would just test it with loud noises.

Have mentioned it many times but ill mention it again.
Software app’s and mobile microphones are not reliable, accurate for measuring. Specially above ~90db range. The microphones are designed for speech and talking level’s of audio.
Quiet or loud sounds… nope. There are measuring mics for the job.

1 Like

Quite frankly, I’m not buying that kinda set up just for this use case.