Help: K371 Questions

I think if I were you, I would go for the MH751 since the need you want for comfort, improved sound stage, good imaging, a relatively neutral sound signature is there. Not only that, with the MH751s you don’t need to mod the M40x (aka changing its earpads for a Brainwavz HM5s for example and some new cables, but this is the 2nd choice I would get.) Not only you can get good superb sounds from the MH751, if you need a mic on the go and have legit clarity, the mic of the MH751s are crystal clear, almost rivals my condenser mic that I use daily. Not sure about the CAL!s since I never owned one but I hope you can find the cans that will do you a good job overall.

2 Likes

Thought I’d chime in again. I just bought M40x on a whim and I’m pleased with the sound. HOWEVER, the headband seems to bend nearly straight right away, as opposed to a curve, which is causing a hot spot on the top of my head. Don’t know how it’d sit on longer heads.

M40x

CAL

2 Likes

Interesting, if you could give a comparsion between the M40x and the CAL! after you have some time with them that’d be great! I considered the M40x as well but the M50x seems to be better from what I’ve seen.

Well, initial impressions after a brief time with M40x, I prefer CAL because I like its fun, bassy signature (I am not great at describing sound). Plus, it’s more comfortable due to the headband shape and softer earpads (I’m probably going to swap the pads on the M40x, which is a cost increase as well). One other thing I like about the CAL is that its cable is a nice, convenient length. M40x is detachable but one cable is coiled and another is super long, so you’d potentially be looking at buying a new cable as well.

Honestly, I’d suggest looking into the MH751 as recommended by several more experienced, wiser members. Although, I can understand the curiosity about the M50x, which is extremely popular.

The CAL is a great inexpensive biodynamic driver headphone that has great bass, a fun v shaped signature, and also pretty good treble for the price. The build of the cal is mainly the complaint most seem to have. I really like it too for the price

1 Like

Anyone have thoughts on where the ws1100is compare with the mh751? I have the Pro82s and quite like them, though I have them to my wife. I usually use the 1More Triple Driver On Ears for gaming and sometimes bring them to work for music listening, but the ear cups are not comfortable for that long since they’re on ear.

Might get the mh751s, though I don’t like them as much as the Triple Drivers, and I was thinking the ws1100is might be worth looking into…or maybe the sivgas someone else mentioned.

Actually I would get the msr7 over the ws1100is, as I think the msr7 is a better ws1100is if you were looking into the audio technica. The mh751 is going to be the warmer, and less detailed headphone imo when compared to the msr7

1 Like

I do agree the comfort on the Triple Driver aka Tridents is not great. But I sometimes forgot about that when I tried them out because of their sound! It truly was a very unique experience that I loved. Probably my second favorite headphone I have ever tried, right behind my Nighthawk Carbon. I will be getting these as my next headphones.
MSR7 gets really good reviews from what I hear.

So I got good news and bad news!
Let’s start with the bad news: they don’t sell the MH751 anymore on the retailers that I buy from :frowning:

Now the good news: the Hifiman HE4xx is only 130 bucks on Drop rn. and I was thinking to just skip the closed back and get the 4xx as they seem like a really good value since they are planar, and cheap, and supposedly have good soundstage and measure well, the only thing that bothers me is if they would fit my head as they dont seem to extend so much in the headband, If anyone has 4xx and can chime in that’d be great! :slight_smile:

If they dont fit me then I would get the Sennheiser 58x I guess.

The 4xx is awesome, just make sure you have a decent amp. I think that would be a step up from the cal, mh751, and m50x lol as long as you don’t need a closed

1 Like

Should I make a new thread for this ? :thinking:

Nah, you can just keep going in this one lol, I can edit the title to include 4xx if you would like

1 Like

change the title to 58x vs 4xx as that is what the discussion will be about form now on, and thank you ! :slight_smile:

So, are you willing to get an amp, as I think that’s the first step of the 4xx vs 58x debate

So this will make more sense if I tell you my plan:
I will have 500 bucks. Out of those 350 go into buying parts for a new PC and 150 go into buying headphones.

So I won’t buy an amp intially but I figure they would play loud enough from a motherboard default amp since they are not 300 ohms.

I was thinking of getting an amp with a bass boost to fix the rolled off subbass of both of them, Idk if using an amp with a bass boost is better than EQ-ing them in software tho.

But I will get an amp like a month later.

Gotcha. The 58x run better without an amp. The 4xx can but they might sound a bit lacking in the bass without a good amp. For an amp you could get something like a monolith liquid spark amp and run the motherboard line out as the dac (and get a better dac later on). TBH neither of them really roll off subbass that much, and I think just using eq would be more effective to getting more bass once you have an amp

So, what aspects do you really want for sound out of these headphones

I want subbas extension cuz I really like my subbass thats why I wanna EQ them or bass boost them in some way. and I want an enjoyable sound with good soundstage I know how both measure and I’m fine with both types of sounds based on frequency graphs.
Now yes I would like the Sennheiser flatter sound but the 4xx has soundstage so I will do that tradeoff.

Well the 4xx has better subbass imo (and tbh it really only starts rolling off after 20hz so that’s nothing to worry about anyway).

The 58x isn’t very flat either, it’s a fairly colored sound

Well I’m talking about the harman curve here so by that standard the subass rolls of by 5db on the 58x and the 4xx at 20hz from the measurements I’ve seen.

I wouldn’t say the 58x is harman either, it’s more the senn house sound. If you want harman the k371 is for you lol. At this price point I wouldn’t worry about meeting a response like harman imo