Help me choose the best iem under 600$ for fast metal genre

the father spawned himself :smiley:
@soundeater told me you have very good ears, i wanted to choose an iem among the ones in my thread+ie600 or any planar. if the baby is away can you please help me? :grinning:

1 Like

why everybody here is a father :joy: you tempting me to have one someday :melting_face:

is the detail and sharpness of notes noticeably better than the oracle2?

I became a father very young - 20 years old, my son is already big, not a baby.
It’s nice to have kids, but unless you’re a millionaire, you’ll save less for IEM :smile:.

1 Like

Truer words. The elevated treble makes older and poorly mastered tracks sound really grainy and bad imo

1 Like

Yes. I think anyone who has heard one of the ThieAudio mid tier versus one of the upper tier will tell you that they did a good job adding performance and not just increasing driver count.

1 Like

oh didn’t know that :open_mouth:
indeed but im not a millionaire sadly, and having kids needs lots of money.

2 Likes

You can say that again. Mine isn’t even here for another 4.5 months and she’s already costing a lot of money. :money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

5 Likes

Not a metal expert. I do listen to some new prog stuff (Polyphia, JR, Holland etc) or softer metal classic metal (Metallica, Maden, Slipknot).

In all fairness, not sure id pick any of those, and you basicly listed some of my favourite iems in the range.

May I detour you to EJ07m, IE600, Zen Pro, Fiio FH5 (discontinued), etc?

Id prioritise dynamics, bass speed and tightness and its a very clean transition into the midrange.

My thought process revolves around kickdrums and double pedals. I love drum kits and bass guitars on every genre, so that’s where I usual anchor to.

Sa6 Mk2 woud be my pick over the listed due to clean bass shelf, full on speed and treble extension for that cymbals and guitar solos, but it wont be top of the class bass impact and rumble.

Top will have a cleaner replay but has a small recession in the lower mids that follow a boomier bass, but the rest fills the bill.

Meteor goes the same as mk2, having better bass, but also more warmth (not ideal).

Oracle mk2 is the most treble heavy of the four after a somewhat recessed upper mid range, being the less technical/dynamic of the 4.

3 Likes

All BA sets with very few exceptions would be a pass for metal for me. I’d want a DD (or planar) handling the low end for me. The EJ07M could be a good pick depending on what someone likes, but I think their treble presentation is a bit conservative for me for metal though I do enjoy mine quite a lot for some other hard rock styles. Also, the EJ07Ms need a bit more mid bass to be a metal pick for me. The way they lean sub bass dominant can sound off with fast and/or more conplicated bass lines. As a professional drummer, this might be an issue that irks me that wouldn’t bother most and is probably largely dependent on your bass preferences to begin with.

I would actually like to tell you to think long and hard about grabbing the Oriolus Szalayi. This is an incredibly dynamic set that I think might be more along the lines of what you’re looking for with not having too much treble energy, but still having enough for microdetail and reasonable extension. I should’ve mentioned them before and when I put them on to do some listening right now it hit me so I came here to give them a rec. Edit: I should mention that the Szalayis would be my rec if you want something with a more laid back take on treble and with explosively dynamic bass/sub bass performance. If that isn’t your bag and you want a drier presentation like you mentioned earlier, then I stand by my previous rec’s.

4 Likes

^^^ Exactly. For metal or a good DD or a good planĐ°r. BA, mmmmm no. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

oh ok then it worths 2 times of the price it seems.
thanks for the recommendation btw

so cool, having a girl is a blessing :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

thank you for the comparison, so meteor are warm, oracle 2 is not technically as capable as sa6 mk2 and others. ejo7m is interesting, i have read that it has 3d presentation. also more ie600 recommendation, i have to put that above the list it seems.
i may have to save for an endgame after more thinking more, maybe i wait for dunus sa10 or sa16 though they have ba bass again.

Congratulations brother. Wishing you all the best!

I won’t go all clichĂ© and say the usual stuff you probably already heard, but get ready. Money and time become luxury goods, but it will be worth it :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks, bro! I’m super stoked! :+1::sunglasses:

To @sovran Thanks for the well wishes. I was actually kinda hoping I woukd have a daughter so I was very excited when I found out. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Depends on the metal genre, I listen to speed, thrash, death, black, power and heavy metal. EJ07m is actually excellent on some metal but bass drums seems a bit lacking of authority but quite incisive and can take on double bass kicks from Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Francesco Paoli (Fleshgod Apocalypse) and Hellhammer. Reed St. Mark (Celtic Frost) which is known to have heavy kick bass is quite inadequete on EJ07M.

Dunu SA6 MK.II is another set good for metal. Even some BQEYZ stuff too. I currently have the BQEZ Wind right now.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions man, i bought the oracle 2s a few months ago and i think im done with iems rn.the oracles are very good for older records like 70s to 2000s that are recorded somehow anemic and boosed subbass would only makes them more enjoyable ( mostly kick drums) but for modern metal its Bass is way way too much and just unlistenable.
currently at home i still use the monitors and at work i use the tws buds with eq.

EJ 07m :smile: :smile: :smile: , Is this some kind of joke?!! 07m is good, but not for metal, for metal HBB KL-resin or KL2-resin ( I’m listening to them right now and laughing at your suggestions) hits very hard with these genres, including progressive metal. KL’s pitch may be anyone’s endgame for progressive genres, and Lombardo is a far cry from the technique of modern Death Metal drummers - fact! :wink:

EJ07M a joke to you? Its your opinion after all, Kinda Lava is probably has more authority as it has more emphasis on mid bass based on HBB’s specific tuning (he loves more midbass presence after all). Im not into this childish debate as this was already thrash out in all metal discussion forum or youtube comments for a long time whether Dave Lombardo is the best drummer out there or not, but he is still the most influential drummers out there. Period

1 Like