Help needed - Portable Dac/Amp

Good to know!

I understand nothing about mqa and stuff, but I dont really care much about. I use a dap with flacs most of the time. Just plug and play

Hey @nymz I currently have a fiio btr5, it has no flaws for its price, but my over ears have outgrown it.

I was thinking about getting a DAP for max practicality but on reasearch I found I would have to spend a ton for them to sound better than the btr5.

Is the L&P w2 really the portable solution? Im worried that the cables get all tangled in my pocket, thats my only concern. How better you think it is to the btr5?

Well im no pro with sources. I prefer the sound signature of w2 compared to btr5.

Also there’s the lack of worry about battery being charged.

W2 is great and I’d take it over btr5 any day, but that comes with a price. For me its more than enough for sq and power for iems. If you want a portable brick that does wonders with iems, you’re paying a lot.

2 Likes

Mmmmm

Guess ill wait to see what the fiio btr5 2 can do when it comes out before picking, also a less bulky xduoo with bt would be awesome

If you’re into BT, Btr5/Q5K are great for the the price.

Are you using headphones or iems?

this one worth a consideration too

2 Likes

That one seems cool :open_mouth: Didn’t know it existed, thanks for bringing it up.

caught me by surprise too bruv. was released quite recently

I already own the btr5 I have a bunch of overears from 32 to 600 ohms, most of them 40 ohms though

That ifi looks amazing, it was teased 3 days ago and just released today, 200 dollans makes it cheaper than the w2, I still may want to see what fiio can come up with, the btr5 has some serious competition now.

1 Like

Oh, I’m a IEM guy. I need the opposite you need. I need dead-flat background to get no hish.

If you use Headphones, you want neither, imo. You need more powerfull stuff like XD-05 and onwards.

No no no, I keep the senns and beyers at home, the portables dont go over 60 ohm (it would be nice to use them portably though)

The xduoo is nice but I know they can do better given a year or two

Yea I was trying to figure it out too as the output differs to what was onscreen lol
As far as I found out, Uapp decodes MQA and then passes if off to the dac and its decoded once more if mqa support is there. Then there is all the layers of android audio which effect the sample rate… I just gave up and started playing my portable music via apple devices.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding!

Aha okay, now it is clear to me
The thing I didn’t really understand why the UAPP is downsampling 192khz to 96KHz .

Anyway I don’t really care that much about MQA I was just curious.

MQA is overrated, just a marketing gimmick for a markup on sales.

EDIT: MQA isn’t even lossless most of the time, so argueable worse than normal .flac
So why does it exist? People need to find new schemes to generating licensing fees. When there is money involved there will always be shady stuff going on.

2 Likes

If you are talking about Qudelix-5K I have it, also I have tried Shanling UP4, UP5 also.

When it comes to portable Bluetooth Amp/Dac. My favorite is the Qudelix-5K is just nice sounding then the UP4/UP5 they sound better than the BTR5 IMO.
I don’t like/hate fiio sound Signature, but it isn’t my favorite

If you mean BTR5 MQA the new one also they call it BTR5 2021. It is a limited edition, and it is only for China market.

But u can actually buy from Hifigo.

Yeah, Qudelix 5K. It also has PEQ built in, which is great :slight_smile:

Not even that the sound via cable, and Bluetooth is better IMO. At least for me.

They are quick also when it comes to updates. Every month or so they released an UPDATED.

Not to mention the App is great overall.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I meant. App is better and the built-in PEQ is great. With fiio you get only a 10 band eq if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

U are right. Tbh I don’t really use EQ.

Also for Bluetooth signal is stronger than Btr5, UP5, and UP4

Look at the updates. I know it is not going be clear, but I like that.

2 Likes