Help needed - Portable Dac/Amp

Yeah, imo Q5k is slight better than BTR5, but Fiio is easy to get on EU. The opposite for US i think

1 Like

You are right. To me Qudelix5K not slightly better It is way better

1 Like

Nope, what I mean is fiio’s cm wrote on headfi that they are developing a new version of the btr5 (maybe it will have a different name) that has a 4.4 pentaconn output, and other not yet known differences.

I hear the qudelix is superior in many ways, but still competes in the same price bracket, I want to see more ultra portable BT dac amps in other price ranges

1 Like

Aha, well then it is better to wait. Also Qudelix will release a new portable DAC/Amp as well.

1 Like

Saw you ended up with a W2 @nymz, that’s a very nice dongle, generally what have your thoughts been so far compared to your fiio and shanling? Really been enjoying mine for something small and portable but can still hold up quite well

Do you own both ?

I have a BTR5 that I use for work, and have been pondering a Qudelix5K as the one for my personal setup. I have had great luck with the BTR5, but have no problem trying something else for the other side of my setup.

Yup… I have them both.

But if u are in no rush… It is better to wait… Cuz there is something new coming from them, or so this is what they have told me.

Have you considered the new ifi?

2 Likes

I am not in a rush, so I could easily wait.

Is the hipDac the iFi one?
Which would make sense, since they just updated the ZenDac ( which I hear great things about ).

1 Like

I mean this one Go Blu (bluetooth)

I think the Go Blu is the most powerful bluetooth Amp/Dac on the market… ATM

Also they also have a new hip dac v2…

I have the old hip dac… It sounds good, but not clean, and channel imbalance when the volume is low.

So I don’t think it is a good for IEMs, maybe full size headphones.

2 Likes

That does look interesting.

I would never be able to let my wife near it, or only god knows how loud she would play Husavik on my HE400se headphones. I have determined that Bonnie-Husaviks should be a replacement for decibels in our house.

1 Like

Fiio Q5s is over double the power with 560mw @32 ohm.

Fair enough, but I am assuming that John_W_Clark wants something like (btr5, qudelix sizes)

We are also taking the size into consideration as well… ( basically the same size of the Btr5, qudelix, shanling, earstudio)

Sure u want more power…

There u go

XD05 basic, XD05 Bal

If they are not enough, and u need more power! :hugs:

Quloos QLS QA390

2 Likes

I can drive my HE6se V2 with my Fiio Q5s. I love it.

1 Like

Fair enough point if size is what we are talking about :grinning:. Those xduoo’s are a bit more of brick than the Q5s, but I’m with ya

Yep, you were on point, as usual.

At this point, I tend to go for portable where I can, but I work at my in-laws at least one day a week. It is nice to get everything in a messenger bag, and be able to go.

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting a new portable DAC/Amp too. So far shortlisted the XD-05 BAL, TR-Amp & Luxury & Precision W2. Any feedback on above devices for IEM use?

W2 for iems only :slight_smile:

How’s the sound quality with W2, compared to other portable sources like xDuoo DAC/Amps, EarMAn, iFi… can W2 power easy to drive headphone like Meze 99C?

SQ is great and ultra clean for IEMs, because it was made for easy to drive stuff. For open cans, you need more power maybe, but I know nothing about open cans, just the basic

2 Likes

Thanks, So are there any other source you would recommend for portable use? Something that can drive less power hungry Headphones and with no noise for IEM’s.