Hi Fi sightings in the wild

Thought I’d start a thread for posting pics and links for sightings of HiFi components and other in non-HiFi contexts. I’ll start things off…Dr. Drew uses Bereydynamic DT770s in his studio:

If you’re interested snap a pic or post a link the next time you see part of our hobby “in the wild!”

1 Like

Ha! How about HiFi literally in the wild?

Above is a Roon server I built for outdoor use and took camping. I used an i7 NUC + Roon R.O.C.K. and stored my music on an internal SSD. The server is routed through a Ubiquiti edgerouter to a mesh WiFi antenna.

I used a portable basketball hoop (without the hoop part attached) to mount both the antenna and the weatherproof enclosure. The enclosure itself is totally self-contained, with 2 fans to pull air through and help the system cool, and 2 ports on the bottom for ethernet (router to antenna, w/ PoE) and AC (from a battery + inverter, recharged via solar).

This setup worked perfectly for 4 straight days of camping and had about a 500’ usable range for streaming music. I mostly used tablets w/ Roon Remote as the endpoints, and bluetooth speakers as outputs from the tablets. However, the source music was all lossless FLAC.

4 Likes

Holy balls. That’s one of the coolest things I’ve seen

1 Like

I was reminded of this reddit post I saw a while back of an audiophile seen in the wild:

1 Like

And because my daughter sometimes has her way with my iPad, I watch the following multi language video and could recognize quite a bit of the cans used:

1 Like