đŸ”¶ Hiby Audio R4

Took the R4 to CanJam London today and after the FatFreq crew logging me into the trade Canjam wifi as it could detect the Park Plaza’s one :man_shrugging: it didn’t miss a beat
lots of fast scrolling, 5 hours of use streaming and driving up to 600 ohm sets in a noisy environment still 60% battery left
job done :raised_hands: Hiby
If you ever need a cheapish DAP that does it all then look no further :moneybag: well spent and it was my own :+1:

7 Likes

I am using the LO mostly. The DAC implementation is very good

4 Likes

New Firmware for the R4 v1.20
Seemed to update fine.

Wish there was a little more information about what bugs they fixed?

2 Likes

The DAP became more stable with the APPs
And USB DAC mode is pretty good.

1 Like

For sure I can now access Amazon HD directly from the home screen where as before I and to go back into the menu and check last apps used which was a pain

2 Likes
1 Like

I am pretty much in tune with what @WaveTheory discussed. I enjoy it more with IEMs and I found the same to be true too regarding the power output for full size headphones not being quite enough. That’s what inspired the purchase of my iBasso DAPS but as stated earlier, it is great for IEMs especially when using the balanced output. The R4 and a Aful Explorer or Letshuoer S08 as an example could provide a great portable setup for under $500.

I think there is something to be said for the R4 when it is being compared with DAPs at 2x the price.

1 Like

Not being an HP guy
are there any dongles at the R4’s price point that can drive :muscle:t2: HP’s and what’s the battery drain like?

1 Like

Not really even those are getting up into the $500 range. Granted I have not bought any personally but I look at things like the DC07 and Ify go bar - but then you’re tethered to a phone or again too.

I suppose it’s all going to really center around your specific use case and what headphones you are wanting to drive.

So the R4 still has a lot of appeal and value for features it provides. I don’t really think that Hiby meant for us nerds to try running full size headphones to be honest. IEMs and Porta-pros yes and some easier to drive full size but not the likes of say an Arya or HEK stealth etc.

1 Like

Fiio dongles/BTR’s

Out of interest what HP’s can they drive to there full potential?

BTR7 - DCA E3, lots of headroom on HD600’s, SJY stuff.
if you want to know how it works with high ohm loads I have a 300ohm impedance adapter I could throw on stuff
their KA17 that can be externally powered to run in a “desktop mode” for more output power than the BTR7 (haven’t tried it yet personally but reviews outside of the software are good)

1 Like

hd600+300ohm adapter, listenable maxed at low gain, louder than I’d listen maxed high gain (also only SE not BAL)

1 Like

I am new to the HiBy set of devices. I own the R4 and I really like it.

I would like know to what the PEQ settings inside the “HiBy Music R4 Professional Edition App” apply.

Do these PEQ settings apply to the 3.5mm output when I use the YouTube Music streaming app?
Do these PEQ settings apply to the bluetooth output when I use the YouTube Music streaming app?

Has anyone figured out what the “pure audio” most is and how the “mode switching” works? In the latest firmware update?
Edit:
nvm: figured it out.

1 Like

Have you tried it yet, the R4 in Pure Audio Mode? I think I like it
 Not sure If I’m just susceptible to marketing, gullible or both. I mean it is not like Mango OS where the player is the operating system and Android is not running at all - but what ever Hiby is doing by holding Android back is making a difference to the positive for me.

Just curious if others notices a difference.

Hello Iron128 Welcome to Hifi Guides !

I honestly don’t know because I don’t use EQ. But I’m confident that the PEQ applies to both the balanced and single ended outputs. Not sure about Bluetooth either as I’m all wired.

If you find out let us know.

Calling all weebs!
HiBy R4 X EVANGELION - Limited Edition

ONLY Line Out / DAC & Features - Impression (HAVEN’T USED THE DAC SECTION)

Pros:
The DAC section is pretty strong
Software Seems to be smooth so far
Full of Extensions ( Plugins and MSEB )
Processor

Cons:
Battery Life
Temperature

Hiby R4 Impressions

This unit was provided by Audio Geeks India, no one asked me to write anything about this product let alone good or bad. All thoughts and opinions are mine alone and true to my findings.

My Void

I was diving into the realm of Digital Audio Players when I stumbled upon the Hiby R4. The price was super tempting, and I needed a device that could hook up to my amplifier while also acting as a streamer. As I explored the features of the Hiby R4, I found myself increasingly intrigued by its capabilities.

Introduction

The sleek design caught my eye immediately, with its modern aesthetic and user-friendly interface. I appreciated that it was compact enough to fit in my bag, yet robust enough to handle my daily commute.

In short, the Hiby R4 seemed to check all the boxes for what I was looking for in a digital audio player. With my interest peaked and my excitement building, I knew I had to take the plunge and review this product.

Software Updates

I just want to say that before diving into my impressions, the software stability on this device has been getting better every day. Over my 14-day review, I noticed a ton of updates and improvements, especially with the 1237 update. There were so many cool additions that I’ll get into later, but it’s awesome to see Hiby rolling out updates like this frequently.

Line Out Only Review

I mostly used line-out mode, like 95% of the time. That said, it did power every IEM I tried with total control, like the DaVinci, DynaQuattro, Dynabird, and 61T.

(All of them are reviewed by me on Head-Fi).

I mainly used this DAP with a couple of headphones: the Sennheiser 490 Pro and the Sennheiser HD600, paired with two different amps: the Astell and Kern PA10 and the JDS ATOM 2.

The line-out gives you 2.3 Vrms from single-ended and 4.1 Vrms from balanced. In addition to that, with the Wi-Fi, the R4 turned into my go-to music setup for about two weeks.

DACs ( DAC X4 )

The Hiby R4 is packed with four ES9018C2M DAC chips, and I can definitely say it performs incredibly well. I’m focusing my review solely on the Line Out port, so let’s consider this discussion centred around the DAC portion and their audio performance.

Sound Signature

The DAP’s LO really highlights the differences between the three main Frequency Amplitude Ranges in a clear way. Everything else in the sound feels just as impactful.

The bass was richer and obtained details. The amplitude was slightly elevated. Although very controlled but not very tight as per Se. The micro-contrasts though are very vivid throughout the frequency spectrum. And the whole low-end sound is rich through the LO port, with great note definition.

When you hit the midrange, the bass really enhances the lower mids in a natural way, making those lower mid frequencies feel fuller and more vibrant, while still keeping things clear and detailed with lots of contrasty nature.

When diving into the treble, it takes a more laid-back route and manages everything in a really natural way. It’s not overly quick, but it delivers sound with plenty of detail, and the tonality stays smooth without any harshness. It also doesn’t feel cramped or boxy, even with intricate tracks with very complex details.

The price range it falls into makes it a great deal for anyone looking to grab an R4 as a source. It easily beats dongle DACs that are priced at around $100 (in Q1 of 2024 ).

Software -

What I’ve mentioned in the review so far only covers about 50% of what this DAP can actually do. The other half of the story lies in its software.

And let’s start with

1) Plug-ins – Plug-ins are meticulously crafted algorithms that break the raw data and modify it. Which will surprise you in a lot of ways.

Suppose You have an IEM which have a bit of narrow dynamics, turn on the “DRX10K Dynamics” filter and you get a sound that is hugely improved in dynamics and as well as resolution. How? I don’t know and I don’t need to know as long as the DAP is making my legs tap.

The soundstage is still small? “Sound-field” is there.

Too much EQ is making the IEM sound a bit wonky in certain Albums due to not matching properly. Activate “Balanced”

Need room-filling sound? Activate “Convolution”.

But remember, not every filter will go with each and every genre, so before getting a verdict on your end, I would like you to play with the plug-ins a bit beforehand.

2) R4 includes MSEB with all of its glory.

To be honest, I used this extensively and going again to vanilla form made me miss this feature a lot. The things you can change with the MSEB are

i) Overall Temperature ( Works like a FIR Filter )

ii) Bass Extension (Not affecting midrange if used within range)

iii) Bass Texture (One of my favourite implementations)

iv) Note thickness ( Lifesaver to Budget IEMs that are kinda bright )

v) Voice ( Not so useful to me, felt boxy sometimes )

vi) Female Overtones

vii) Sibilance HF

viii) Sibilance LF (Very helpful to not only reduce sibilance on certain albums)

ix) Impulse Response

x) Air (Which I always kept at 10)

They can collectively alter the sound so much that one might save his/her IEM from being outdated and most probably bored.

3) Modes

In the latest updates, HiBY has unveiled the modes available in the DAPS. One of these is the Pure Audio mode, where the DAC sends a low-level signal to the amplifier. The other mode is Bluetooth, transforming the DAC into a Bluetooth receiver, allowing it to function as an endpoint for your transducers.

These are just existing features (mostly) but packaged in a more appealing and more accessible way.

Suggestion to the users

The Plug-ins and MSEB are quite effective, and they allow you to adjust their effectiveness on a scale from 1 to 100. I recommend reducing the maximum deviation to 10 steps in either direction and experimenting within that range. While they can be beneficial, using them haphazardly may lead to more problems than solutions.

Conclusion

This could serve as a reliable source for my AMP, as well as for streaming and various other uses. My only concern is that the battery life isn’t very impressive. It does get a bit warm, but that’s to be expected given the metal chassis and CLASS A design.

It’s important to highlight that this DAP is priced at just $250. It offers a complete Android experience with a solid processor. Plus, it comes loaded with robust software that receives regular updates to keep everything running smoothly.

4 Likes

Just a heads up I got my shipment notification this morning

4 Likes