šŸ”¶ Hiby R3pro

Anyone know if you can use this connected to a desktop?

Yes, the headphone out doubles as a line out, so you could use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to run into a desktop amp.

1 Like

Apologies for the newbie question - but why does the EQ have no effect whatsoever on anything higher than 16/44.1?
I understand Iā€™m an idiot, please help me.

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s a bug specific to the software. But I donā€™t own this player so I canā€™t confirm. Your using the preinstalled EQ software right? Your best option is probably to contact their customer support. But prior to that, Iā€™d recommend going though the settings to see if adjusting anything relevant to sample rate might fix the issue.

Thanks I reached out their customer support and Iā€™ll advise back if/when I hear anything. Iā€™d love feedback from anyone else who has the player. Iā€™ve updated to the latest system version of 1.3. Itā€™s pretty much as-is out of the box.

This is message I received from support:
"Thank you for contacting us. The adjustable range of the equalizer is within 48K, but the adjustable range of MSEB is witnin 96K.

We would like to introduce you the more advantaged tuning function called MSEB. It is a combination of multiple algorithms based on parametric equalizer (PEQ) and sound field adjustments to create the most satisfying sound for you. We do not set any combination, users can adjust according to their preferences and song types. Straightforward and easy to use, everyone can be a tuning expert. MSEB sound-shaping effects are definitely worth a try."

MSEB does in fact alter the sound,however the options are bizarre. Using it in place of an EQ is a strange experience. For instance one of the parameters is labelled ā€œvocal feminizationā€. Another simply ā€œAirā€. The effects are sometimes diffuse despite their precise titling.

@hi_every What are your opinions of the R3 pro? Iā€™m looking at getting one.
Felix

This is the first high quality music player Iā€™ve ever owned and I love it. Paired with good headphones the sound is fantastic, the UI is pretty responsive, the screen is nice. Itā€™s cool. Iā€™m just a little bummed about the lack of sound adjustment over 48k but maybe itā€™s just me. Is that a thing with high quality audio? That if you have the correct headphones and source material you shouldnā€™t be messing with the EQ? The MSEB ā€œtuningā€ function is a mixed bag for me. First off it only goes up to 96k, so no 192k or DSD sound tweaking whatsoever on the player. Plus the sound changes are too broad. Itā€™s described as giving you refined control over your sound but I find that very very slight adjustments can make the sound tip over into being just acrid. Like for instance it occurred to me that a song sounds nice but Iā€™d like a little more bass, so I head over to MSEB. The options I have are ā€œbass extensionā€ (light/deep slider), ā€œbass textureā€ (fast/thumpy), or ā€œnote thicknessā€ (thick/crisp). These donā€™t exactly do what you would expect, although Iā€™m not ever sure what that is with those wacky descriptions. Turning up bass texture more than 10% to the right makes the song immediately unlistenable. My feeling is that in the absence of a real usable EQ for audio above a certain resolution theyā€™ve loaded in a bunch of preset templates and are marketing it as ā€œMSEBā€.
I would love to be wrong about this though, so Iā€™m just being stupid please anyone jump in and correct me.

1 Like

Following up: I actually like the MSEB. The adjustments in toto are an acceptable alternative to a traditional EQ and they have interesting characteristics. Just tweak sparingly. My only gripe is that the adjustment screen isnā€™t as easily accessible as the EQ (which you can drop into from the now playing screen), requiring a few extra swipes than necessary. I like the player <3.
Also I wrongly called the ā€œFemale Overtonesā€ option ā€œfeminizationā€, which is hilarious.

1 Like

I have the R3 Pro since pre order. It came with leather case, which is beautiful, and SD card. It is my first DAP. I have a bit mixed opinion. The sound is fairly good. My OPPO PM 3 sound gorgeous balanced, plenty of juice. Thing I donā€™t like is the UI, can be laggy. The Bluetooth is a hit and miss on my one. When I set it on UAT, which is a Hiby in house development and pair it with the Hiby W5, it doesnā€™t work. I have to go to a lower codex. The Bluetooth drops out, if I move the player in my pocket or cross body bag on my back. It has to stay very close to the BT earphone. Tried different BT amps. But for the price I donā€™t complain to much. It was enough to get me hooked on good sounding music. Next upgrade is in sight (Cayin N6ii very likely).
Great thing to be able to read about different opinions and views in regards to music. :kissing_heart:

Hi,
I also have same device.
Have you upgraded the firmware, there have been a a couple since release?

What headphones are you running on them?

I have had the Hiby R3 Pro for about a week now, and enjoy using it. It took awhile to understand the UI and figure how to configure things, plus trying out the various featuresā€¦ everything seems to work as promised. I purchased it with a 254GB card, and that was enough to transfer over everything I have with room to spare. Really, the only thing I couldnā€™t figure out was using my first gen AirPods over Bluetoothā€¦ it works, but the volume is very low, and I can find no way to turn it up. It worked fine with my Fiil Canviis BT headphones, though. I also began trial subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuzā€¦ they both work (though intermittently), but havenā€™t decided whether to keep either. Of course, now that Iā€™ve tried everything out, Iā€™ll likely use it with my Yaxi-padded Koss Porta Pros (and now Koss 30i, too) 99% of the time.

I believe I can safely consider selling my iPod Classic now. :sunglasses:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I did the updates. Headphone is OPPO PM 3 which sounds very good. I had the RHA CL2, wasnā€™t very happy sound wise. I couldnā€™t get a good fit at all. I had to jam the earphones right down my ear canal. Very uncomfortable. I tried also tons of different tips. Luckily the right earpiece stopped working during warranty, so I could return them. Just got the Kinera Idun. Very happy with them so far. Much better fit and seal.
Back to the R3 Pro. I have lots of high res files like 24 bit and 192 khz. So I neither can utilise the MSEB nor the EQ. UI is ok once you are used to it.
Later in the year I want to go for a very serious upgrade. Probably the new A & K SP 2000. Only draw back for me so far is the 2.5 mm balanced output, rather than a 4.4 mm.
Thanks again for the conversation.

Well, no sooner did I get my plain 'ol Hiby R3 Pro when theyā€™re already planning to release their Pro Pro:

I donā€™t really thing you are missing out tbh, they mainly just swapped the Cirrus dac for an ESS dac, not a big deal, my personal preference leans towards their Cirrus implementation anyways

They also increased power by 25% and sacrificed about 1 hour of battery life in both single-ended and balanced, so thereā€™s also difference in power section as well.

1 Like

Didnā€™t notice that, thanks for pointing it out

Ye I was considering buying this DAP even without that upgrade because it checks pretty much all of my needs which is basically to have all functionality and be better than my X3 II. Saber one looks even better with slightly more power and ESS DACs. Literally every single person Iā€™ve asked said that only iPods have good CS implementation.

From my experience the hiby stuff does do a good job with their cs implementations, but would be curious to see what they do with the ess dacs, I feel like the redesign on the amp would do more than the dac change but idk

I might have to wait to see differences in both the HiBY r3 pros then as I was looking at getting one