🔶 Hiby R3pro

Until today, the Hiby R3 Pro was working well with everything… I subscribe to Qobuz, and today when I tried to listen to a playlist, I got an error message that reads:

HTTP error code:400
Bad request

I have tried logging in and out of both my WiFi and my Qobuz account, but nothing seems to work. The weird thing is that Qobuz shows all the cover art… even when I click on something new… it just won’t play anything. Internet radio still works okay, though, so I assume there’s nothing wrong with my WiFi setup. I’m guessing something’s changed, either at Qobuz or Hiby, that’s causing the problem.

I have contacted MusicTeck (the seller through Amazon) for help, but thought I’d ask whether anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks!

Okay, after fiddling around, I discovered what the problem was. Somehow, the time and date settings for the Hiby were lost, and after setting the proper date and time again in system settings, Qobuz worked again.

I purchased an R3 Pro Saber recently and have been playing with it for the past several days. The main reason I opted for this DAP over other options was to use it as a Bluetooth transmitter which could handle all of the advanced Bluetooth codecs, in addition to the high quality internal DAC and WiFi connection and streaming features (Tidal, Qobuz, AirPlay) included.

My primary goal was/is to improve the sound quality (if possible) of two of my Bluetooth portable speaker set-ups, the DiamondBoxx Model L and Minirig 3’s. I’ve always used Apple products since the invention of the smart phone many years ago. Never owned an Android based product, and as such where Bluetooth is concerned have always been stuck with either the SBC or AAC codecs. In an evolving tech world that now includes higher resolution Bluetooth such as AptX HD and LDAC, I had to find out what I might be missing out on.

I started by researching small Bluetooth receiver and transmitter products that could “improve” my DiamondBoxx sound. The DiamondBoxx’s internal Bluetooth receiver handles SBC and AptX (no HD) only. There are a number of cheap receiver/transmitter products available on Amazon that can handle the better codecs, but then you are also stuck with whatever crappy internal DAC they might be using. Not really a great way to improve your sound.

This led me to the various Bluetooth products from Shanling, FiiO, and Hiby, etc. I ended up going with the FiiO M5 to use as my Bluetooth receiver, as it’s tiny form factor allows me to attach it discreetly right onto the DiamondBoxx. It’s AKM chip DAC and ability to receive LDAC, AptX HD, AptX, AAC, and SBC truly was an upgrade to the DiamondBoxx’s internals and in fact did improve it’s sound quality.

For a Bluetooth transmitter, I selected the Hiby R3 Pro Saber. This is perhaps overkill for it’s intended purpose as this little device sounds really really good as a music player on it’s own. I’ve been listening to it with my Nighthawks, FiiO FH7s, Elegia’s, and Sendy Aiva’s through both the 3.5 mm single-ended and 2.5 mm balanced headphone jacks. As you might expect using the balanced jack yields the best results. For the Aiva’s I need to adjust the gain setting from low to high, but even without fooling around with any type of EQ this player sounds terrific with all of these cans.

I intend to connect the R3 Pro to my iPod Touch (where all of my content is stored… yes I know the Pro has a micro SD slot, but I use streaming services and save content for offline use which you cannot do on the R3 Pro) using it’s USB DAC feature. I can then transmit music coming out of the iPod into the R3 Pro via LDAC Bluetooth to the FiiO M5, and enjoy the highest resolution Bluetooth with my DiamondBoxx player. Pretty cool.

If you are thinking about simply upgrading to an external DAC to use with your smart phone, you could spend $200 on a Dragonfly Red, or for about the same money you could get the Hiby R3 Pro Saber with better (imo) sound quality and much more versatility. For me, that choice is a no-brainer…

The R3 Pro has has also the Hiby developed UAT codec. Use it with the W5 and you are set for a treat. W5 has only 3.5mm output though.
I actually selling both, as I am upgrading to a more powerful dap/dac.
If anyone is interested?
R3 Pro comes with leather case and 32 GB SD card.

How is the bluetooth performance on this? I was really interested on picking this up, but I mainly listen to music with spotify. I can’t seem to find a list of app supported by the R3 Pro, but I’ve seen some reviews saying that spotify isn’t supported.

Nope it’s not. To use Spotify, one would need a DAP with full android capabilities so that they can download Spotify on either the Goggle Play Store or as an APK.

Felix

1 Like

Good Morning,
I am interested in buying this DAP, I thought that you could connect the spotify application from the mobile phone to the DAP and be able to listen to the sound with the bluethooth headphones.
Is this possible?
Thanks for the answers

As far as I know the R3Pro has Wifi and streaming capabilities so you could tether it to your phone and then use the BT to your BT headset?..Maybe some else can give a more definitive answer :+1:

1 Like

I have the Hiby r3 Pro. You can use it as a bluetooth receiver from your phone and listen wired to the Hiby. You’ll have to control play/pause and next/previous track from your phone though. Hope that helps

2 Likes

That is precisely what I want to do. I want to connect Spotify from the phone to the DAP via wifi and then connect the Truewireless headphones to the DAP to listen to the music.

Has anyone tried it? Thank you all for answering

Why would you want to do that? Your quality limiting steps in this example are Spotify, the Bluetooth codec to the headphones, the DAC chips in the headphones. If your phone supports the best quality Bluetooth codec supported by your headphones (e.g. aptX HD/Adaptive or LDAC) just connect directly. Using the DAP as a DAC only makes sense if you use wired headphones with the DAP. Otherwise you will not be leveraging the superior processing of the DAP’s DAC chips … just whatever DAC chips are in your BT headphones.

1 Like