💣 "HifiGuides Room" 9105 at RMAF -- Official thread

Friday can’t come soon enough!

1 Like

It was great to meet you guys today, love what you’re doing. Definitely be pointing people to your room.

4 Likes

Standing in the registration line now…

1 Like

Is there any live stream going on?

2 Likes

I’m at the room now and am impressed at how much work went into setting the entire place up. So many things to here with different setups. Finally getting to hear something I have always wanted to purchase but not finding a place to hear it has been awesome. Already found some new speakers for the desk, headphones and an amp. Yup I’ll be broke after this but I won’t have a second mortgage like some other rooms may cause.

5 Likes

I wish had something like this in Australia, the concept is really cool. Hopefully you both set up a room in years ahead. seems like a good reason for a Holiday.

Glad you able to be a part of it.

Good for you. We all would do well to remember it shouldn’t be about how much money we have to throw at the hobby. It should be about what equipment makes us happy listening with it.

2 Likes

I was there yesterday. DMS and Zeos were happy to spend some time chatting with me and the room setup was great. The only constructive criticism that I have (and this applies to the convention as a whole not just the hifiguides room). Demoing headphones with so much background noise is just fruitless. Weather it was in the headspace ballroom, or any of the other rooms, there was either tons of people gabbing about cool shit, or speaker system demos going on. Yeah, just difficult to try to demo cans anywhere at the rocky mountain audio fest. That aside, I got to try out everything that I really wanted to try in the hifiguides room. The cans that I wanted to hear, the amps that I wanted to hear them on, the speakers that I wanted to hear with DMS there to guide me through them. Wow, just WOW! Thank you DMS and Zeos and Princess Pasta for doing this thing.

7 Likes

I just wanted to say you guys did an amazing job with the room. One comment is that if you do this in the future it would be nice to know what speaker setup is playing without having to ask. The TV display was sweet, though.

Easily the best room in the conference in my opinion. I can’t believe how true everything Zeos always complains about from conferences was. Truly an eye-opening experience.

2 Likes

The Z Reviews room was a real highlight, it’s where you got to hear how good some very affordable bookshelf speakers sound, and how you can use miniDSP devices, SVS SB3000 subs and Crown amps to make rigs that kick serious butt for a tiny fraction of what some other systems at the show cost. - Mark Henninger, Editor, AVS Forum.

Keep reading the thread for more comments from Mark and others.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is the real Paul McGowan on the AVS forums considering he joined in 2016 and has only made 6 post, but if it is him is butt hurt as hell about a room full of crown amps and bookshelf speakers with mid range svs subs.

“So if this Z room with the cheap gear really was the hit of the show, did his stuff sound as good as the Polk, Paradigm, KLH, Dali rooms? He’s the guy that uses cheap desk speakers and DJ amps, doesn’t he? Did this actually change anyone’s view of this hobby? Seems that’s what he was there for.”

• Paul McGowan owner of PS audio

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3089080-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2019-pictures-impressions-5.html

If you’re not sure it’s him, then why are you spreading the message like it’s said by him?

That could be Paul, but that tbh just doesn’t sound like him. I’ve met him a couple times, and he was super nice and very knowledgeable, and I don’t think he would directly say something like that, but I could be wrong

it was pretty harsh, so let’s hope it’s someone masquerading.

Also look at his other posts. It’s obviously not Paul from PS audio

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=165759730

Have to toggle desktop mode on browser for people on mobile

Let’s not jump to conclusions

Edit: also seems that the guy lives in Canada

1 Like

actually…6 replies…same person. :expressionless:

That was one negative commenter, if you read through the AVS thread there is a lot of praise on the room! Congrats @ZeosPantera and @DMS!!

2 Likes

because and account with his name said it.

AVS loved the room, but then again they are mostly home theater guys, not hifi guys different crowd.

1 Like

where are all the audio shows held throughout the year…geographically, not necessarily ‘where’ as in confirmed coordinates. is there anything in Vancouver, BC, Canada?