HifiMan Ananda, Audeze LCD-2C or Focal Elex/Clear?

It is the closed back version, as I use them portable often, and I have always thought mrspeakers (Now DCA) make better closed backs

1 Like

I wrote a bit back and forth with Damir Franck who also reviews headphones and he think the Aiva is so close to both the LCD-2C and the LCD-X, that he would not get either of them.

In order not to be locked down at the Audeze, I will look around some more. I have time.
But it’s f… hard to find the right one. But the ZMF Auteur and the Klipsch HP3 are now also in scope, just to poke around a bit :wink:

To my ears, the AFO was only slightly wider than the HD650 and both did vocals well. The tuning did make some instrumental passages sound congested and, for me, swapping the inner filter mitigated some of that at the expense of increasing some of the upper treble, yet, they were still dark headphones. Female vocals definitely sounded behind a curtain, but the overall sound is smoothed over and a good relaxing listen. I found the closed backs to be more neutral. I definitely enjoy that the new AFOs fold, though they were already compact and easier to store, than say my Ananda. Did the keep the “dum” connector? I was always afraid of scratching the finish unless I was careful upon insertion.

OP: For a warm, more open, and relaxing listen, I’d go Oppo if you’re willing to risk limited warranty support. Oppo is still in business making other AV gear, just not producing their HP line. Plus, they swivel and they’re an iconic classic.

The LCD2C is a good choice and keeps it’s value if you ever resell it. I think Headphones.com has a 1 year return policy.

If you’re considering closed-back, take a look at the ZMF Eikon. I think it’s the best closed back I’ve ever heard

1 Like

Really? I don’t agree with that at all. They are pretty different imo

1 Like

I think it has the VIVO cable which I prefer but it doesn’t specifically say. Pretty similar to my VIVO for my c flow 1.1 so I think its VIVO

yeah… what? That is way off IMO… lol They are on completely different categories in terms of tuning.

In terms of tuning, detail, soundstage, imaging, and stuff like driveability lol, not that similar at all. I guess they are both built well and fairly comfortable lol

It just shows that ears are different and you have to listen yourself, in order to really find the right headphones.

hi Jacob,

Damir had some strange thoughts about many audio related things in the past
he just started out and had a crappy DAC/Amp in the beginning …
he told all, he listens to way too loud music for years… maybe there is something gone and never will come back or maybe he can be a good source in future … keep my fingers crossed for him

1 Like

Too bad, I like his person and approach, but if his hearing is a bit off, then it can be hard to completely trust his recommendations or the opposite.
That is why this forum is great, then we can get multiple people with same experience to wheigh in.

Thx, appriciated!

What do you think of the MAssdrop HEX XX? better or worse than the V2?

whoa, wait, what? The Aiva’s are bright and the LCD’s are dark right? how can they be close?

I have not heard both, so I wouldn’t know, hence the dialouge and my questions to Damir. I also have the impression that LCD-2C is more dark.
But it shows we have different ears and some may not hear what most hear.

I would personally characterize the Aiva as v-shaped… emphasis on the mid-bass and treble. They are very forward and aggressive in their tonality, but they also have a laid-back characteristic in their sound-stage due to the recessed mids. With the LCD2C I felt the mid-range is very present in comparison, but the treble is pretty noticeably rolled off… you won’t ever get any of that feeling of transparency or forwardness with the LCD2C, but vocals come forward very well and it does have some nice sub-bass extension, hitting notes a lot of headphones miss out on… including the Aiva. Great for movie soundtracks.

2 Likes

well SM if youve got the Aiva’s i dont know if i’d recommend the Elex or Ananda. they are all a little close to each other. I would go for the Clears instead of Elex, or the Arya instead of the Ananda and the Aeolus instead of the LCD2C. Seeing you have the Aiva’s and the DT1990 (treble leaning) why not try something different. like the Aeolus or the Arya. Not sure about the Clears.

1 Like

The edition xx is closer to the Ananda. The hex v2 is closer to the arya

1 Like

Why not side step the game completly and go with the lcd i3/i4? It ellimitates the weight issue associated with lcd’s. Gives you both the vocal intimacy and seperation of a iem, with the stage and presents of a headphone (having probably the grandest soundstage of all lcd’s, with a holographic like presentation). But best of all, responds to exceptionally well to eq, so you can mold it to suit almost any sonic preference you want (using the cipher cable app to make changes will prevent any distortion from occuring). I finally got an i3 after anker released a type c to lightning adapter so it could work on my s9 and windows 10 pc. Frankly, its one of the best executed prodcuts audeze has ever made (so long as you run a eq curve like the cipher cable).

You can also take them portable pretty easily which is interesting too, can be a fun experience

I’ll admit that I’m a bit too conscious to take these out publicly, as though the leak very little for how open they sound, they still do, and I dont want to be like the guy with the earpods cranked to 100% on the train. Also, they’re not the most ‘discreet’ on-the-go apparel. Would be an safer choice for biking though, if I ever lost the rest of my sanity.