šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Ananda

I meanā€¦ all things being equal, In theory the larger driver would have worse impulse response. Slower response to impulse changes. Meaning worse details. So even in that ā€˜perfectā€™ scenario to compareā€¦ the larger driver isnā€™t automatically better in every way. At least according to Axel Grell.

Even in larger speakersā€¦ they donā€™t use large drivers to output the treble. They use very small tweeters.

Thatā€™s the way sound works lol. Iā€™m mainly coming from more of a listening perspective

Well hifiman did it with the Ananda, Ed X, HE1000, Arya. Stax, Koss, AKG, Raals, Woo Myspheres. not to mention other manufacturers with thier larger drivers. Audeze, Mr speakers are going with larger drivers.

1 Like

yeah but you know what iā€™m saying right?

Kinda, but itā€™s basically your preference, that doesnā€™t mean that because a driver is larger = better. Iā€™m not really arguing your preference and taste, just pointing out that larger does not always equal better

I think electrostatics have less to do with their driver size and more to do with the fact that itā€™s an extremely light weight membraneā€¦ which helps negate the size/surface area issue. Basically they make it larger in overall surface area, but the overall volume is still decreased by using extremely thin material.
Planars have a similar advantage over dynamicsā€¦ just to a lesser extant.
If you took ANY of those larger driversā€¦ you could theoretically still improve them further in terms of detail and impulse response by making them even smaller. But it comes at the cost of clean low-end.

I mean the top speakers Iā€™ve heard have mainly been dynamic tbh

1 Like

I donā€™t know how I let myself get dragged into thisā€¦ :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

4 Likes

I still believe itā€™s the motion of the ocean. :expressionless:

Soā€¦$200 recent price reduction on the Amanda? I have to admit Iā€™ve got a pair on the way.

1 Like

Ah so you decided to go for the mail order bride you mentioned a while ago?

4 Likes

He did say pair so maybe they are twins? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For general use definitely.
And I use a set of stereo speakers with Ribbon drivers that cover 600Hz-7000Hz.
I love ESL 63ā€™s but they are so flawed itā€™s hard to justify them if you listen to a wide variety of music.

I mean, like the top designs I have heard have been dynamic. There are some awesome ribbon, planar, estat, or others as well

Driver size is an inadequate amount of info to make comparisons.

1. magnet strength overall and per sq in.
  2. thickness and tautness of membrane
  3. construction and resonance character of cup
  4. pads

I do not have all that data, nor a way to organize it in an objective way. All I have is good equipment, and a pair of experienced ears - with biases to make subjective commentary about.

I think Iā€™ve been pretty open about my biases

I own 7 cans and 5 of them are HFM, Iā€™ve heard every HFM made in the last 12 years except the HEX v1 and MD Ed XX. None of the big cup HFM push bass the same way the HE-6 does - IMO, so in that one case Iā€™m making that assertion.

My parting word is I donā€™t care for the Ananda. If I liked it when it came out I would have bought it. I find the treble bright, I find detail in it, but itā€™s ā€œsolid stateā€ detail - if I heard it on a really good tube amp maybe Iā€™d think otherwise. If people make buying decision based on that w/o knowing my biases, I am not responsible.

I read a lot about this site not being as anal as the other two, but, subscribers are spending some real cash. Is this like a ā€œHigh Fidelityā€ magazine thing where everybody loves everything? Rah Rah.

2 Likes

The spending money part is real, but itā€™s just more casual and people are just here to have fun, not really get into huge debates lol

1 Like

I think itā€™s more there is less trying to force opinion as truth, or perhaps more willingness to accept that people have differing opinions.
Nothing I say is the ā€œtruthā€, itā€™s how I understand things to work, or my opinion if itā€™s subjective.
Iā€™m very much in the Subjectivist camp of audio equipment, if it sounds good to me it is good, But I can see how people get seduced by the Objective viewpoint when trying to decide how to spend real money.
I actually enjoy reading SBAF, I rarely post there, they have their biases and are pretty open about it, but theyā€™re not looking to really include people with differing opinions.

1 Like

OK, but one person says he generally agrees with me, until yesterday when he didnā€™t. So does that mean I was properly expressing ā€œmyā€ opinion before, or someone got upset because all of a sudden he does not agree?

I have very little experience with DACā€™s, DAPā€™s, IEMā€™s, and most headphone amps - so I donā€™t offer opinions on any of that, and when interested in one, listen to reviews (pro and non), etc. like I assume most do.

Iā€™ve listened to maybe 50 headphones in 30 years, almost all the past 5 years. On most of those I have some opinions. I donā€™t borrow or steal other peoples opinions - so everything I say is pretty much cooked up in my own head.

So do I qualify everything? Or just turn my opinions into soft serve vanilla so nobody is influenced, AND everybody has to read between the lines to gather information?

That boils down to: Politically correct, and somewhat devoid of passion and insight - in an attempt to avoid useless battles.

Is that correct? fair? Iā€™m on vacation until 1/6, Iā€™ll come back and read any replies, and decide if we are a good match for each other - or if Iā€™ve been voted off the island.

1 Like

I mean, at this point I have easily heard almost any mainstream headphone (and own like 40+ currently and have owned alot more lol) and have heard a shit ton of amps, dacs, speakers, other electronics, and a decent amount of iems. Not super experienced with turntables though. Also have a fair amount of experience with pro audio gear as well. Everything I say is from my own experiences unless I state otherwise. I will say I do try to just let other people have their opinions and just respectfully disagree and move on, instead of trying to argue something, so that might come off as a bit softened. As a person, I rarely really strongly dislike a headphone, so that might come off as another factor

2 Likes

Oh no please donā€™t leave. Iā€™ve been learning a lot from you. like Mon you have a lot of experience and have tried a wide variety of audio equipment especially headphones. I hope to get as much knowledge out of you and mon as I can before you guys get tired of this forum.

I think the nature of the internet is such that people realize now that people will give thier opinion stated as fact. but I think they know itā€™s opinion. and also when it comes to this hobby I think itā€™s obvious that people feel strongly about it. so I donā€™t think you need to curtail your opinions or anything. how strongly a person feels about something is also information for me and others about how good or mediocre something is.