đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Ananda

rofl, i surely will thanks fbizzle

New Gold Dream - very underrated; It’s my favorite era of rock/pop/alt:

Felt, Durutti Column, XTC, 17 Pygmies, Dead Can Dance, New Order, Smiths, Brian Eno, Cocteau Twins, Bill Nelson, Cowboy Junkies, David Sylvian, Sad Lovers and Giants

ESL63’s.

Do you still have them? If so, if you don’t mind questions? How far from the floor are the bottoms of the speakers? What’s the room acoustics like? Amp? Angled into room? How far away is listener from speakers. They do have but one sweet spot in any set-up - not good off angle for sure.

They are aimed at chamber type music. Lack dynamics, and ultimate volume, but within that, they give about the most accurate playback I’ve heard.

I know I’m pretty late to this discussion (a lot can happen in a day, I guess) , but the size of the driver is not a limitation on how “big” it can sound. I just got lcd i3’s, which has a comparativly tiny 30mm driver, yet sound absolutly huge. But, I guess its also signifactly closer to your ear, so could be seen as larger in that perspective.

1 Like

oh wow really? cool, i was wondering if anyone else here liked the music i liked.

wow thats quite a list of artists there. i love a lot of that music. would like to get into Durutti column, dead can dance, eno and sylvian more

No still on my bucket list.
ESl63’s aren’t rediculously expensive used, but almost all the used ones have damaged drivers and there is only a single place in the US that will restore them (for about what a pair now costs).
They are notoriously unreliable and can be damaged by playing them too loud.
If I still had a dedicated listening room I’d probably pick a pair up, they were very special speakers.

My current Stereo speakers are VMPS RM2’s which use mid range ribbon drivers, and I’m even more damned if they ever fail, because VMPS went out of business and the drivers aren’t made anymore.
Their also incredibly picky about setup, really need to be listened to on axis at a particular height, so sound extremely suboptimal where I currently have them connected.

VMPS, that’s a blast from the past. Yeah Quad’s are a pain. I went too ML CLS IIz’s after the Quad, you can plug them into the wall - I mean the amp in, it was a relief to be able to be insane with the volume

I could never get over the Bass driver transition for the ML’s, but it’s been a long time since I listened to them.

CLS’s are full range stats, and Gradient 57’s are at least AFAIK the best woofer for both the 63 and CLS’s

ML took CLS’s off the market for about 8 years, then came in with a beefed up version (CLX) for like 6x the money. That first run of CLS IIz’s are up there with the Maggie 3.7i as some of the best planars ever for fairly cheap.

The Verity Parsifal pretty much broke me of my 25 year long addiction to planars.

I had the little ML hybrid - Aerius, SL-3, ReQuest
 I think the best one for a normal room was the Vantage, but yeah, better no woofer than a bad match.

1 Like

Ah dammit, i missed all the excitement of this thread, :triumph: i just wanna say, RAH! Rah! and gigidey gigidey.

This is the internet folks and people are people across the world, all sizes and flavors. I’m just a bit wee tone deaf, and basically know nothin’ about music. I do love to talk tho, and share my hobby enthusiast joy where i can. I belong to a few of the big boy forums, mostly use those to form opinions. Allot of the info tho is very contradictory and folks LOVE to find the most minute flaws in even the “best” gear. I don’t have a problem with this, and appreciate the effort allot of the true hobbyists put into their posts.

This place is a more fun amatuer hour and i look at it as having taken on the ‘personalities’ of both Zeos and DMS. We are kind and gentle to newbies and very welcoming. Bring on your $22 Koss and $50 Nobsound amp and we will find something good to say about it, because everyone has to start somewhere
 oh yeah
gigidey! Ok, on with serious discussions about mail order brides now.

4 Likes

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda-bt-trade-up.html

Hifiman has a trade up program if you want to trade in your ananda for a bt (for not the greatest price lol). You can also trade in other headphones you own towards the ananda

1 Like

Aww, you can’t trade up from the 4XX :rofl: As if.

I’m surprised Beyer doesn’t have something like this to trade up to the copper wireless or something

Has anyone tried the Ananda BT?

Yeah, it was interesting, sounded pretty good, although I think it’s pretty overpriced and needs to drop down to the 700 ish range to be worthwhile

Yeah that’s my issue with it. I’d pay $500-$750ish max for a great bluetooth headphone, but more than that seems excessive

It had some issues as well that I wasn’t the biggest fan of

yeahh 1 step forward and 2 back
better get the wired and use a mobile BT DAC/Amp, if the non swivel Ananda fitÂŽs your head

May I seek help on how to properly drive these? I have had a used pair of Ananda for almost a year.

I listen to mostly orchestral music and given the high sensitivity I had expected my LG V40 to be able to drive them. With pop music there was indeed enough power to rip my ear drums but even at full volume there is not enough power for source material that is high dynamic range and uncompressed (dynamically, not codec) such as classical.

My Oppo BDP 105’s headphone output drove them very comfortably at my listening levels at least IMO.

I am looking for some small amp that takes up very little desk space so that I can listen to either my phone or my iMac. Looking at Fiio Q1 Mark II whose biggest advantage is the small size, the convenience, and be able simply walking into a store to buy it without the expense to ship it across the border (into Canada). But I suspect the DAC section may not be an upgrade over my LG or my Oppo at all and the headphone amp section appears underpowered.

Or I could get a standalone amp like the JDS Atom and I have a miniDSP 2x4HD sitting around that can be dug up and serve as the DAC.

What do you think?

So personally I think something like a magni heresy or liquid spark would be the best choice if you didn’t mind being at your desk. The minidsp would be just fine as a dac. I think if you wanted to get a portable perhaps look into the xd05 as it has more power for portable