đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Arya

Have a HEX v2 for almost a year. Nice can, but unlike almost all HFM’s it’s a bit soft on the treble and detail, going instead for a large cohesive soundstage. Never irritates, has bass into the subbass, but it doesn’t slam - much like the Ananda vs the HE-6. Has a small bit of extra mid bass. To get best soundstage and most treble get that driver right over your ear hole (I use nuggets) and silver cables seem to work better than copper.

It is NOT a match for the Arya. Arya is more spatial - deeper and wider soundstage, better flatter bass, but also not a slammer. A lot more treble in the HFM mode like the HE-6, HE-500, HEK v2 - maybe a hair too much, but it doesn’t translate as annoying to me - unlike the Ananda which lacks recording cues and details as the Arya has in spades but manages to be brighter.

Yeah the arya is why I sold the hex v2, but I actually sold the arya for the he6se as I thought it was the superior headphone lol

1 Like

HEK v1 is too bright, find the Arya more livable if even slightly lacking in some aspects - like the build.

What amp are u using? I AB both headphones+Hekse with my 789 and IMO the Arya and Hek are much better in terms of resolution and clarity also they’re easier to drive.

I’m using a speaker amp setup. If I was using a 789 I would agree that the Arya is a better choice, but giving it the quality of amp it needs the 6se beats them out for me

You’re saying the Ananda is brighter than the Arya? or vise versa?

Ananda and Arya are both brighter than neutral. However, Arya gives more detail, more texture, more soundstage (depth, width). Neither rings like some of the earlier HFM’s (HE-4, HE5LE, HE-6 4 screw).

But the Ananda does not have (sometimes not at all, mostly much less) those extra cues of harmonics, shadings, and recording errata (turned pages, dropped bows, etc) So side by side (to me AND ME ALONE):

The Arya sounds like a very high end clean and subtle tube hybrid - and the Ananda sounds like some generic SS amp that seems to always have an edge, and yet not the insight to match.

I was very excited when the Ananda was announced, seeing it as a possible TOTL for me. I’ve heard 3 of them since. 5 minutes vs really high end cans, only MrS Aeon closed was worse; then 20 minutes on its own on very high end equipment using 4 cuts I know by heart - studio and live by the very artists. Nope, same thing.

How to compare my tastes with someone who listens to music only since 2000, using one of the cheaper Schiit amps and AKG or Beyer cans? We may likely never see eye to eye. If you like a posters tastes that’s a good reason to pay attention if you can’t demo something. But if you are one of these younger listeners and haven’t heard the Ananda - then forget me, get a demo.

3 Likes

Wow. i want the Arya more than ever now lol. sounds fantastic. I had the Ananda and i think it sounded great but it had too much treble for me. so i sent it back. how would you compare the Arya with the L700? Those are the 2 headphones i would like to get next but not sure which one to go for. If i go for the L700 it will be used energizer and headphone. I figure i can get away with 1600$ for both, same as the Arya new.

It depends on what you value more sound wise honestly at that point, as both are great but with different sound

1 Like

Well im crazy about detail. And the presentation a big driver can give. but i worry about the frequency of the L700. I hear electrostats lack bass and may be sibilant with treble, I love a more balanced or Nuetral sound signature. more balanced really. I’m also concered about the Arya soundstage. I dont like too wide a soundstage. i prefer more forward.

Do you like your current Ananda? What do you enjoy about it and what do you want to change?

I loved he big driver sound on it. but i didnt like the treble. to high. also i didnt like the lack of midrange. And i felt i could get better big driver presentation and detail with another headphone.

Gotcha. If you think the treble on the Ananda was too much, I have a feeling you might not enjoy the treble on the l700. The Arya has more enjoyable treble and mid-range to me, while having a better more interesting presentation, using the larger driver advantage more. Also more detailed throughout the range

The l700 would be brighter with very forward detail, and might not be what you are looking for signature wise. It also won’t have the impact of the Ananda and arya

You had the 95x correct?

yeah i still have it.

Do you prefer the Ananda or the 95x? And what do you like about 95x and what do you not?

thats a good question. i actually haven’t listened to the 95x in a while. i packed it up when i moved back to LA and i haven’t gotten it back out.

Gotcha, well I think if you spend some time listening to the 95x and the Ananda, and deciding what one you prefer overall will help guide you towards the l700 or ayra

The 700 is detail over every consideration. Bass is clean and fast, but lacks body/grunt - and is lower in amplitude, which pretty much will always make it a treble and/or mid first. The detail is notable, as is the ability to start and stop playing a note. Planars do not have ability to stop playing that note at specific Hz. Because of the bass you get from more air moving and the planars often having a very good start on notes they have become popular. The improvements over time from say a HFM HE-4LE (2009-10) which frankly rings (keeps playing the note long after the source stopped) like a telephone to say the HFM HEX v2 (2015-16) or the Arya - sometimes you hear a little ringing, and can be heard on complex un-smeared recordings, But the problem in better cans has been throttled to a large extent, but not totally. But then there is no extra hardware needed. Some of the cheaper energizers also have a transistor sort of brightness to them.

My two favorite cans are the MrSpeakers Voce on the HFM Jr amp ($7200 total for an estat with less detail then the 007/009, but way more musical - to me) vs the Abyss Phi - an unattractive battering ram of impressive traits.

So you can get there with different technologies, I myself am waiting to hear the HEDD before I buy another can. The Arya does have a family similarity to the Ananda, so try and get a listen first. Alao you may not be able to find a one can fits all solutions, and end up using 2-4 cans to satisfy.

1 Like

Josh Valour just put out a video about hd800S and Arya. Is this Arya that great lol?
I’ve never heard it. Sounds like its amazing haha. I have the Verite coming but I’d like to hear these one day.

It’s pretty awesome, but I would wait for the price to come down a bit before pulling the trigger (or look for a deal used)

1 Like