šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

After reading all the reviews I had to order a pair. So I tried ordering from the Hifiman flagship store at tmall, I placed the order and it was processed but they reached out to me and told me they wonā€™t ship to Canada. So I got a refund, lost about $6 due to exchange after the refund.

I ended up ordering from the GZZB store during the black Friday sale, paid $505 CDN after coins, discounts, and coupons. I have a tracking number but the item hasnā€™t been sent yet and the tracking number has changed 3 times.

After thinking about it a little more, I wonder how the seller is making any money. These are $2499 yuan which comes out to about $503 CDN which is what I paid. Now Iā€™m a little worried lol hope my excitement doesnā€™t end up costing me! Has anyone who order on aliexpress received theirs yet? Any QC issues or anything?

Please be gentle as Iā€™m one of those newbies entering the world of quality headphones. I own a bunch of basic headsets like B&O H6 and SHP9500, but nothing in EDXS quality & price range. As expected, the unit I ordered from Ali arrived today (in 2 weeks), and at first glance it all looks good, maybe except for questionable earpadsā€™ shape and stitching. Pictures are attached.

Iā€™m planning on running it off PC + Topping L30+E30 that Iā€™ve ordered recently, though would highly appreciate any feedback on what other additions/adjustments should be made to get the most juice out of EDXS.

Speaking of daps, I have a Sony Walkman nw-a55, but when plugged in directly with the original cable, it provides barely enough power and depth at the highest volume setting while sitting in a quiet room.

4 Likes

Well, that makes me feel a lot better since I ordered from the same shop. How do they sound?

They look very nice. Kind of reminds me of my Edition XXā€™s.

1 Like

Greetings, would also want to know how these perform against Ananda? (Price is really close between the EDX and Ananda). Would plan to run this off of Topping L30 + my existing Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as a DAC (kind of tight of budget).

Iā€™ll make a bold claim and say get a Douk U2 pro and a coax cable for like $50-60 and your DAC will sound better than pretty much all $750 DACs plugged in through USB. Thereā€™s just something wrong with USB transmission or implementation in DACs and literally none in the sub $1000 range are performing at even 25% of what they are capable of with USB. Detail will skyrocket and not only will you notice a detail benefit from the normal details you hear but the stage handling from the added precision is a massive benefit. Iā€™d put money that most people would say thereā€™s noticeably more detail in an E30 with a Douk U2 pro than something like a D90 without one. It really is that significant and since you have a nice resolving pair of headphones now Iā€™m sure youā€™d hear the difference immediately and down the line if you upgrade your DAC and amp youā€™d still be able to keep the U2 pro and use them in the next DAC.

5 Likes

The XS does every single thing better than the ananda. Everything.

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m gonna post my feelings this upcoming weekend but if my set is the standard of quality youā€™ve got nothing to worry about.

With regards to sound? Iā€™ll also get into more detail this weekend but at this point theyā€™re replacing my Sundara as my daily driverā€¦

2 Likes

As Iā€™m currently waiting for E30/L30, all I have for now is a baby Fiio E17K, which I keep hooked up to my Macbook. So far Iā€™ve listened to a few tracks of various genres and oh boy, never have i felt so alive. The instrument separation is outstanding and the sound is very crisp and refined. Given the lack of expertise in the field, I canā€™t confidently speak of other parameters, but I have a feeling I wonā€™t touch any other headphones in a while now.

I have a somewhat average head (23in/58cm) and the headset doesnā€™t slip off when I move my head around at any direction or angle. It also feels pretty lightweight for its size.

2 Likes

If instead of stretching the cups apart you bind them together tightly overnight you can increase the clamp force if you want but you kinda gotta bind them where the swivel point is above the cups.

1 Like

Iā€™ll take that advise and give Douk a shot, also thank you very much for all your previous feedback regarding this headset, as Iā€™ve relied on it a lot when I placed an order.

2 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Douk U2 pro with upgraded clocks - need explanation

I passed on AliExpress, despite the discounts. Iā€™m looking at Hifigo right now. Does anyone have a discount code? I only found: HIFIGO5

nothing more than $5 off that I know of

1 Like

bit surprised that someone who ordered from hifigo got an opened box.
wouldnā€™t be keen on that happening if I bought from there. annoying to deal with some overseas company about things like that.

1 Like

Hey,

Yeah that I suspect is my pair, I posted it. I believe my pair could be from the unboxing video they shot.

Otherwise feels new to me in all ways besides that. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I think nothing of it. All others received theirs sealed so hopefully that doesnā€™t repeat itself as now they donā€™t have a motive left to do that again.

But it all boils down to your confidence, I think it would be ok to order from Hifigo now - probably a one-off thing I believe.

Most of us who ordered from there was I think because of fast shipping, and mostly early buyers. You could try elsewhere if you think you can wait, and also save money, off of Ali Express. But I donā€™t think there should be a problem now wherever you choose to buy from as the round of initial purchases is over.

1 Like

Hi all,

I couldnā€™t resist after going through this thread and just ordered a pair on Aliexpress. I have the Ananda & 2020 Sundara to compare them to when they arrive.

Iā€™m not sure about the headband as I like the suspended type on the Ananda but I guess I have the option to swap them around if needed. Is it just a case of loosening the serrated fixings that fix the yokes to the cups or do I have to venture internally to dismantle?

4 Likes

Hello. Good to know!

I canā€™t comment on the last revision suspension headband, but Iā€™ve experienced the OG headband (4XX one), the He1000/Edition X/400i style one and this new Deva/2020, 2021 one. Itā€™s not bad - actually feels like the most reasonable one so far.

I donā€™t feel have hotspot issues with this, any dorky looking issues (I actually had hotspot issues with the second gen He400i suspension strap and swapped that out with a Steelseries strap).

The padding on the new headband is also sufficient, albeit a bit stiff, but sufficient. Plus it swivels/contours nicely enough, and I like the mechanism used here.

Itā€™s not going to be very easy changing the headband - youā€™d have to dive inside for it, @Pokrog and I dived in, and well he went ahead taking it out and I guess had issues putting it back on cuz thereā€™s just a tinyass washer inside holding the screw and tightening it back again is going to be quite an issue - the outside screw crown also has itā€™s own design so youā€™d have to find the right tool to grip it or it may wear off which will have quite some cosmetic damage to it.

TL;DR I expect youā€™d be happy with this stock headband and wonā€™t feel the need to change it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not going to be very easy changing the headband - youā€™d have to dive inside for it

Uggh!..thanks for that. You have succeeded in talking me out of trying a swap - Iā€™m averse to anything north of easy unless it is absolutely necessary :grin:

Hopefully the existing headband will be fine for me.

1 Like

Greetings, would really like to know how does it perform on an L30 amp since that is the one Iā€™ll be buying as well