šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

You description sounds like the reviews for edition XX from Massdrop.

The edition xx was not a good example of the edition line imo

I remember when Josh did a comparison of the 3 he said the XX sounded like a crappier Audeze signature or something like that.

Darker sound with more bass and some vocal wonkiness sounds like Audeze. Is the mids more distant with male vocals or female vocals?

yeah i guess thatā€™s a good comparison. just awful stock tuning on mids on the xx. the xs sounds to my ear a lot more like somewhere inbetween the arya and edition x v2 tuning wise.

Interesting, I thought bassier songs would be the he6se. But what about the details and clarity of xs vs he6se? Like how low they reach and the ā€˜textureā€™ of the music

sorry that was badly worded. i meant when bass is more the focus and soundstage doesnā€™t matter iā€™d pick the he6.

clarity on both is outstanding. both have incredibly good texture. hifiman is usually extremely clear across the board in general but a lot have timbre issues. he6 and xs are exceptions to the tinny timbre a lot have.

What kind of gear are you pairing with it?

Ohhh I seeā€¦ Now Iā€™m contemplating selling off my he6se and buying the xs. So their technicalities are on par with the exception of punch and slam? And howā€™s xs with something like edm and pop? And tbh Iā€™m still not sure what punch and slam refers to, so do you have some recommendations and examples to test it out? Sorry for all the questions :sweat_smile:

my chain is PC>Douk U2 pro/or CMD-17 femtosecond DDC>i2s over hdmi>Gustard X16>Burson Soloist 3xp with supercharger.

@BuckAcog technicalities overall are close with the he6 having more resolving capabilities but only when really driven hard. both are incredibly fast and dynamic but i absolutely can not stress enough that the he6 is the pickiest headphone iā€™ve heard in my life when it comes to source gear and iā€™ve tried damn near every amp under $1000 and not a single one of them brought out all of the resolving capabilities theyā€™re capable of. even the soloist before i got the supercharger didnā€™t quite do it and my previous best amp was a parasound a21+ speaker amp, which did drive them just barely better but the burson has a sound signature that matches perfectly to what they need but of course that part is preference. iā€™m gonna set a reminder and iā€™ll do some example testing tomorrow and see if i can find a couple tracks that show off punch and slam really well.

1 Like

@Pokrog Your chain is interesting with that little microUSB converter. This is off topic, but curious ever try any eArc or ARC convertors that you would recommend? Iā€™ve been trying to solve a solution for my chain from my TV to my DAC to fix the electronic noise Iā€™ve been getting over optical from what I assume is an improperly shielded optical port. That converter both of them is interesting for USB nonetheless.

Theyā€™re not just a converter, theyā€™re reclockers too and it makes a huge difference in quality and detail. Best value in my whole system.

I had issues with my lg nano 90 optical port not working with my DAC and I got this

Solved my problem but I also donā€™t use it for anything special, just watching TV and movies with my headphones. Itā€™s not amazing but it works just fine.

2 Likes

@Pokrog Ahh interesting thank you I will give it a look. Yeah I only use my TV for the same things, but Iā€™m running audio to a 2.1 system from it and the optical port from the TV to my dac is clearly improperly shielded or not grounded correctly. You hear some sort of electronic interference in the left channel at high gain that does not occur on things through that dac/amp setup with a decent optical port. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Your DAC has an USB input I guess. Did you ever try to hook up your DAC to the TV via USB?
The Qudelix 5k works great on my Philips OLED (Android OS). Just had to enable USB Audio in the (hidden) developer settings.

1 Like

@Nr48 Yeah so, I tried this at first. There might be some hidden settings I can maybe attempt to look for buried somewhere. But as it stands, through the USB out on the TV it gives 22.5 hz as the sample rate (according to my dac) which tells me either the TV doesnā€™t know what to do with it, or thereā€™s a setting like you said off buried somewhere deep below.

1 Like

Have anyone tried the XS and the new Deva Pro?
Really like the bluetooth option(I knowā€¦)

2 Likes

Are there any reviewers planning to cover this headphone? It seems to have gone completely ignored by most people, although it hasnā€™t been out terribly long either.

1 Like

I assume it wasnā€™t sent out to reviewers because itā€™s a China only release, so HFM wasnā€™t trying to promote it in the rest of the world.

Really? I thought it was available other places too since I saw it up on Linsoul and Hifigo.

Yes, those are some of the sellers exporting them, people have also been buying them on AliExpress.

I was toying with the idea of reaching out to Z to see if he was interested in giving them a go after mine show up.

3 Likes