šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

Topping L30/E30

Edit:L30 is recommended. For the E30, I recommend this for better aesthetics. Your existing DAC may be fine, but if you have the budget the matching Topping stack would be what I would go for. I have this stack and am eying the XS.

Honestly, I wouldnā€™t take that bold advise regarding E30/L30 stack for granted and wait for Pokrog or others to chip in, even though Iā€™ve ordered the same exact stack for my EDXS. My understanding is that 2i2 should do just fine as a DAC, at least, comparing to E30.

Btw, Iā€™ve also ordered a douk u2 pro (+coax cable + power supply) to try coax over usb connection as Pokrog suggested, and will share my thoughts on the whole setup with EDXS once it all arrives (prob in 10 days).

Meanwhile, my XS doesnā€™t get a single day of rest and now Iā€™m searching for some decent case to store it. So far the best option I was able to find is V-Mota case from Aliexpress (or alternatively Geekria from Amazon).

2 Likes

Okay, I promised to post this weekend, and Iā€™m done migrating file servers for work, so here we go!

Iā€™m relatively new to this hobby so please tint your glasses as such. My extravagant headphone collection (and the extents of my experiences) consist of a Philips Fidelio X2HR, Koss KPH30i, Focal Elegia, Sivga SV021, and my daily driver Hifiman Sundara, until nowā€¦

I picked up my Edition XS from my mail room last Saturday (they were ordered via AliExpress on November 12th), and was both anxious and excited about checking them out. Being extremely comfortable with my Sundara and having a noggin the size of a small planet I wasnā€™t sure how the HE series headband was going to feel vs the suspension rig. When I pulled the headphone from the box I was really worried it was going to be small and uncomfortable. Fortunately that wasnā€™t the case. I was actually shocked when, after fully extending the earcups as I need to on all my other headphones, I actually had to bring the EDXS back to only a click or two down from fully retracted.

Thatā€™s when I got hit with my next two observations. Wow do these things feel light in comparison to the Sundara on my head, and cup shape is fantastic and extremely comfortable for my big ears. These two first impressions have not staled after a week of use, either. I took a look at the rest of the boxā€™s contents: manual and warranty card as well as the cable, which is definitely nicer than the one that came with my Sundara, but thatā€™s not exactly saying much. Iā€™ve got a few pairs of Hart Audio Cables in dual 3.5mm so the stock cable went right back in the box.

This brings us to the most important subject, how do they sound? First of all, the setup details. My music source is Amazon HD on my desktop PC connected via USB to my Topping D90 and A90.

Iā€™m only making comparisons to my Sundara for what I believe are fairly obvious reasons. Iā€™m still working on giving the EDXS some burn in time, so if anything changes Iā€™ll check back in.

I started out with both the Sundara and EDXS hooked up to my A90 via the XLR and 4.4mm balanced ports, respectively, with the volume knob around 10-11 oā€™clock on medium gain, my regular spot for the Sundara. After listening to a few tracks on the Sundara to give myself a baseline I switched over to the EDXS. I was shocked. My expectations were that thereā€™d likely be some enhancements here or there, but that was not what I was hit with. Everything on the EDXS felt more vibrant, bass, sub-bass, midsā€¦ I feel like Iā€™m getting more of everything. At first I couldnā€™t believe how different they sounded that I swapped ports and cabling between the two headsetsā€¦ nope, same result.

Soundstage might be the only thing that was slightly better than the Sundara, which is in and of itself a heck of an accomplishment.

Resolution on the EDXS is markedly better than my Sundara. A lot of the subtle details in the OSTs I listen to are much better defined.

Imaging is great on the EDXS as well, I havenā€™t had a decent chance to compare this between the two.

One other thing of note Iā€™ve discovered during my time with the EDXS so far. Switching to high gain with the volume knob around 8-9 oā€™clock has a distinct effect on the EDXS thatā€™s not there on the Sundara. Itā€™s become my ā€œIā€™m not doing anything but listening to musicā€ setting.

Iā€™ve also been using the EDXS for gaming during this time, mostly Forza Horizon 5 and Farcry 6 at the moment. Itā€™s outperformed the Sundara in this realm as well.

If itā€™s not already obvious Iā€™m extremely happy with this headphone (credit due to @Pokrog for making the suggestion). Iā€™d definitely tell anyone thinking about buying Sundara to give these a look if they can handle the price difference, or can hold out to save up just a little more to cover it.

14 Likes

Soā€¦ I was thinking about getting the Sundara for $299, and then there was the Ananda for $499. Should I forget about both of them now?

Canā€™t buy from China, as the VAT and customs applied on the EUSSR border would inflate the price tag to totally unpalatable levels.

Iā€™d just wait until there are more reviews for the XS. The more opinoins the better. Otherwise, Sundara > Ananda no matter the price tag. Iā€™m just not a big fan of it

Could you ask the sellers to write a minimal price on the package?
I always ask them to and get away with it - they bring the value on the package down enough for me to always skip the ā€˜dutiesā€™ part.

Try that. Personally - so far what I have heard and learned of the Sundara - and even after the video in this link: šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS - #158 by ATK

Truth be told, with the video impressions tkddans has put in, and I was hearing them just like he was (I believe), I would be titled towards an HE-X4 or the HE-4XX over the Sundaras.

Iā€™ve heard some meh feedback regarding thin sounding or bass lacking, from another person in an audiophile chat group we have elsewhere.

The Sundara would have been a great choice maybe - had the XS not existed.

I think I would suggest to somehow grab an XS. And just look at tkddansā€™s opinions right above here.

Me, personally, have found the XS better than 400i/4XX/Monoprice M1060Cs too.

Best to get the better headphones to begin with.

I might buy one from Taobao just so I can hear it for myself and compare against my Arya (pre-stealth magnet). I just gotta throw these out hereā€¦ the translated reviews on Taobao are a f**king riot to read:

ā€œThe sound is okay. If you want, hurry up. The flag is here. Although the diving speed of his products is traditional, compared with Double 11, the price will not be reduced in half a year. I hope that you will not slap your face. . . . . In addition, the service is really average. This is not recommended unless the headset you want is really cheaper than his. I asked for a receipt three times and I havenā€™t gotten it. If you donā€™t go as a gift, you must not give it, and the cake has not been received. I donā€™t eat it either. I bought a few earphones as a gift and only gave one away.ā€

And this one, almost as funny, but has more decipherable information

ā€œThere is something about this headset. The overall feature is hearing resistance, smoothness, and transparency. The three-band energy distribution is relatively balanced, and the sound field is excellent in the vertical direction and huge in the horizontal direction. The high-frequency lines are soft, hierarchical and three-dimensional, with excellent permeability, sufficient overtones, extended in place, and quickly rolled off when in place, bright and not irritating. The mid-frequency density is high, the female voice is very toxic, has less graininess, and is resistant to hearing without aggression and oppression. The low-frequency volume is just right, the drum head is full, the dive is deep, and the transient is good. The tooth tone is light, the human voice and the small string music perform well, and the natural freshness carries a trace of simplicity, just like a first kiss, like a spring of light, high frequencies are bright without thorns, the sense of space is excellent, the sound stretches and stretches well, and the reverberation is very good It sounds good. Just when I put it on, I felt a sense of energy that I could control when I opened the sound. It was like an overwhelming, immersed person in the ocean of music, unable to extricate myself from it! ! Pina is astonishing, graceful like a dragon, moving like a rabbit, and quiet like a virgin! Solemn, yet flexible, majestic, yet contains euphemistic tri-band interleaving, not messy upscaling, which can be said to be a well-deserved hero in headphones!ā€

8 Likes

God bless user reviews. Every now and then you get some real gems.

1 Like

Heh, yea guess Iā€™ll have to see if I can still snag a discount on AliExpress from that shop if Iā€™m going to try it outā€¦ turns out the shops that I somewhat trust on Taobao canā€™t ship outside of China. Man I forgot how scary/confusing it is placing an order on that site since I bought the GL2000 on there earlier this year. At least they cancelled/refunded the order almost instantly.

So basically this is the virgin rabbit dragon of headphones :thinking: Sold!!

3 Likes

Sometimes translations are simply a joke, especially when the reviews contains some Chinese slangs or idioms which are crudely translated.

Yea according to some of the sellers Iā€™ve contacted on taobao, most orders are eventually forwarded to hifiman, so itā€™ll be directly shipped out from Hifiman warehouse. Since hifiman is restricting these to the China market only, they will only ship to local address. Iā€™m using freight forwarded to get them to me. You can try checking out on taobao to see if this is an option for you.

1 Like

Thank you for the response on Taobaoā€¦ I would take more of a risk and see what I could figure out in terms of shipping forwarding but itā€™s not really worth it since the price on AliExpress (after endless coupon stacking) comes near to the same as on Taobaoā€¦ and shipping is provided up front.

If I could understand Chinese I would probably delve deeper into Taobao and what it has to offer, but as you mentioned, direct translations donā€™t always come across rightā€¦ exampleā€¦ after my order was refunded the seller sent me something in Chinese without translating and I plugged it into Google and all it said was ā€œUnkind!ā€ā€¦ I really hope they werenā€™t saying that Iā€™m mean :frowning:

After that they sent me a handshake emoji so I think weā€™re good.

I understand Chinese, if youā€™re really curious about their replies, pm me. Generally I prefer to get from Hifiman directly in case of defects and having to make a warranty claims down the road. But yes I understand the frustration of dealing on taobao when you donā€™t understand Chinese.

2 Likes

Thanks! I should be ok, the convo was pretty short and they already processed the refund for me, was actually pretty easy working with the merchant. Iā€™ll take the handshake emoji as a positive ending :slight_smile:

I guess Iā€™ve been lucky so far as I havenā€™t had to submit any warranty claims for my gear, but I am sure the first time it happens Iā€™ll wish I had gone direct. Iā€™ll take this opportunity to use my Orcas wrist rest to knock on wood that it doesnā€™t happen anytime soon. Gorgeous keyboard wrist rest AND a functional nearby good luck charm, winning. :raised_hands:

So initial impressions on the custom pads (fenestrated micro suede inside, micro suede contact patch and sheepskin outer, non angled memory foam) from @NtraXMod are entirely positive. These went from meh comfort that got a little annoying after a while to close to the most comfortable headphones Iā€™ve ever worn. Full stop.

Bass feel is significantly improved, mids seem a touch more balanced and highs are intact and every bit as detailed. Soundstage seems a bit wider and maybe a bit deeper as well. Height seems improved a bit but might be from the added depth making it seem taller, not 100% sure yet. I initially thought I wasnā€™t going to even bother with these on my HEKse right away but Iā€™m super tempted. Theyā€™re amazing. More impressions later, now is for enjoyment.

7 Likes

I know some are yet to receive their EDXS, but thought Iā€™d share a good matching case I happened to order.

6 Likes

Thanks for everybodyā€™s contribution about their experience with Aliexpress. I will post news as soon as the status of my order changes.

Now I have a paring question: would the iFi audio Zen DAC V2 be a good match?

When people say these need a good amp for these- what exactly do they mean by good? For reference, Iā€™m in the ā€œDT770 80Ohm needs an amp to get full potentialā€ camp. I say this to preface that if Iā€™m looking at cans, I donā€™t want 90% of them, I want 100% of them. My 770s sound good off my LG V30, if a little quiet on most tracks, but theyā€™re still good enough off that phone that people who donā€™t know good headphones would be really impressed. Hook them up to an iFi Zen, and to me, thereā€™s a noticeable improvement. From reading this thread, it seems to be another one of those cans where some people say it will sound good off a phone, and others saying they really do need an amp. So for my primary question, if youā€™re a ā€œYeah you can get a lot out of these with a phoneā€ we probably arenā€™t of a similar mindset. And thatā€™s okay. My 770s arenā€™t my go to cans I own, but Iā€™ve never seen a pair of headphones so hotly contested on the need for an amp.

Reading that back it sounds a little douchey, but spending $525 CAD on headphones from sites like Hifigo or Ali, I want to make sure any advice is tailored with that in mind. I have faith theyā€™ll come, but to say itā€™s no different than buying a pair of headphones from a NA dealer distributed in NA would be a lie. The amp I have is a LakePeople G111. While I know this is a quality amp, and I love it, itā€™s designed for people with high impedance cans: 600 mW (600 Ohm) _ 900 mW (300 Ohm) _ 1750 mW (100 Ohm) _ 1200 mW (32 Ohm). So amps far far cheaper will put 3-5x power into lower Ohm headphones. It doesnā€™t offer that linear like progression you see with other headphones, so I couldnā€™t begin to speculate what power it puts out for 18-20ish Ohm headphones, but it seems safe to assume it would be less than 1.5W. I used to have Sundaras and an SP200, and the Sundaras sounded better out of the SP200 to me than the G111. Whether thatā€™s because it was the pairing, the power, or both, Iā€™ll never know, but to me, the Sundaras almost soundedā€¦weird out of the G111. More recessed perhaps. Maybe thatā€™s how they should have always sounded, but itā€™s not because I dislike soundstage. My Hemps with the big olā€™ pads are the fucking tits.

So, when people say a good amp and they scale well, do they mean these need 3+W a channel to sound their best, or do they mean that the better the amp, as long as itā€™s adequately powered, the more you get from these? Iā€™ll probably pull the trigger this Friday anyway- I went from 3 planar cans to none, so it would be nice to have a pair again. Or do I just save my money and buy Focal Clear MGs, because at the end of the day, Iā€™m a slut for imaging

1 Like

The XS has fantastic imaging and much better stage than clears and the XS is definitely more detailed and resolving. As for the power thing, they do need power to sound right, I canā€™t just plug them into my computer directly or they sound straight up defective while playing sub bass. They love current and class a and I would imagine the G111 would power them okay but I do think they benefit from a touch of warmth if you can get it somewhere in your system.

2 Likes

Does an iFi Zen DAC count as a touch of warmth? lol As a DAC, obviously, feeding the G111