šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

Thatā€™s exactly the idea. But I do have the he4xx too, same stock cable. Then another maybe, so I will have spares for SE use. I ordered a couple of 4-pin XLRs for my other cans already, Iā€™m doing all of those so figured may do the same to this cable while Iā€™m at it. The cable you linked is nice but itā€™s going to come at another $30.
I did check on other platforms, they do say it has 4 conductors inside, so should be fine I suppose. Or Iā€™ll just slap on a spare metal SE connector back if itā€™s a fail.
Will give it a shot and update.

EDIT:

Ok I found this awesome cable - again. Iā€™ve ordered one before.
Maybe I should just use this one, but will need a converter for my 4-pin XLR SH-9:

@Millzy if it helps you too. 4.4.

1 Like

Hello all, just checked several shops for purchase availability, here is the answers:

Linsoul and Hifigo - out of stock, asked for several Ali sellers with good ratings, they said they out of stock, and 2-5 days needed to ship from factoryā€¦

I ordered from Hifigo when it was in stock earlier today, and it has been shipped already.

It might be my first planar headphones. Currently my main headphones is DT-1990.From Ananda/1990 reviews i hear, that they are both +/- on the same level, but has different presentation, but what about comparison DT-1990 to XS?

p.s. Previously, I took planar headphones from friends for evaluation and comparison, such as: Sundara, Aeon flow closed, but for me personally DT-1990 was winner, interesting what about XS, it will be an upgrade or not?

A little update to my order: shop provided new track number today, and describe the situation with delivery the same as for described below:

There is no updates in new track number, but i hope everything will be ok.

Pretty nice for the price, ordered one. My Edition XS are at my post office, i ordered with Hifigo and though they arenā€™t the cheapest, iā€™m (once again) very satisfied with the process. Canā€™t wait to try them out this evening.

1 Like

Luckily I checked HiFiGo late last night my time and ordered as soon as I saw they had some more stock, I got my shipping advice 18 hours later. :slightly_smiling_face:

Try your tracking through aftership, much more detailed.
Free Android app too.

I ordered on the 28th and left China today.

2 Likes

What about your Aliexpress order? Did you fully cancel it? They promise to refund?

Itā€™ll be a while yet. Still waiting for confirmation of the return from the local carrier. There will be a process that wonā€™t be quick and apart from having to wait for my money - Iā€™m not stressing too much.

long time lurrrrrrker, first time poster, I.ve had these since release date. Iā€™m a brit living in Thailand and can get from china from asian ebay type store called lazada. Granted the price is excessive. DD audio is linked to linsoul at a mark up but what the hell. All I can say is these are really good. Iā€™ve had/got stax that cannot compete with these. Iā€™ve thrown everything i have at them. From jazz to rock to EDM.
Iā€™m done with buying headphones.

11 Likes

Hmmm same here. I stopped looking ever-since these, myself. Just satisfied, and I can finally focus more on music rather than gear.

Kind of surprised you like them more than STAX - never tried those personally. But I stay away cuz of modding/tuning impossibilities and the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) of electrostats. Also, I almost always hear estats have meh/thin bass.

Anyhow, good to know!

1 Like

yeah, i agree. these need no modding. I have nothing else to say!
just loving the music again.

4 Likes

Yes thatā€™s right. But I will do a pad swap with leather pads. As good as the stock pads are the made, they seem thicker than they should be, and get itchy, thereā€™s a play with facial hair.

I ordered from Lazada as well for US$460 together with my Topping L30 for US$108, estimated arrival is this week/ next week. Canā€™t wait to try them out.

yeah i have the L50 and E50 and it sounds great. i prefer it over my little dot 1+

1 Like

I have both the DT 1990 (I use A-pads) and Edition XS.
Iā€™ve only had the XS for a day but these are my initial thoughts:

The biggest difference Iā€™m noticing is that the XS sounds way more open than the 1990. It lets a lot more sound in and out.

The 1990 has substantially more bass, but the XSā€™s bass is faster and more responsive (seems like planars at work here). I miss the rumble from the 1990s but ultimately I prefer the XS here because of how clear the bass sounds.

The mids feel a little recessed on the XS but once I EQā€™d them up a little they sounded fine.

The treble on the XS is quite strong. Iā€™m happy with it, but I personally like the 1990ā€™s treble a bit more.

In terms of comfort I prefer the XS because of the ovular earcup shape, though I wish it had a little bit more clamping force like the 1990.

Iā€™d have to say the XS is an upgrade over the 1990 for its spacious sound and that planar bass.

4 Likes

Thank you for such detailed comparison! Looks like 1990 still looks nice in comparison:)) i will share my impression and comparison to 1990 with a pads next month, i hope so.

Sounds like recessed mids and less bass could be a problem to me, in this case 1990 will be endgame:))

1 Like

So the treble is more intense than on the 1990? Which pads did you use on the 1990?

Thanks for the review dude.
Iā€™m planning to use these mostly for EDM so youā€™ve put my mind to rest.

To anyone,
Regarding the cable port size on the cups, are they 3.5mm like the Sundaraā€™s? Just want to make sure I order the right type.
Planning on getting 3.5 dual (from cups) to 4.4 (to DAC) from ATKā€™s link

1 Like

Yes, the EDXS and Sundara use the same 3.5mm connection on the cup end.

2 Likes