šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

thatā€™s my bass test track for everything.

that one and then his* In For The Kill remix**:

*yes, I insinuated their gender lol

**I like how they melted ā€˜distortionā€™ into the clean bass

2 Likes

No, I hear distortion when I donā€™t EQ

Itā€™s good to hear that. Hope this distortion will go away from my unit

pink noise at 95-100db is my go to

2 Likes

Hello @Pokrog, I am looking for a new headphone for 40%(movies)/40%(music mostly rock/rap and OST)/20%(games). Seems to me like you got great experience with headphones, can you help me please ?

I only have experience with 3 headphones:
-Philips X1/X2HR : The one i like the most for now, I like the soundstage, the FR, but seems to lack details and not sure about the quality of the highs.
-HD650 : didnā€™t like it much, small soundstage + very weak bass. Maybe i should have equed itā€¦
-wh1000xm3 : soundstage too small + boomy. In fact it sounds very cheap to my ears.

So it seems to me that i like big 3d soundstage with deep impactful bass and details. Seems also that i like the Harman AE FR.

I was trying to decide between HE-6se v2 and XS but maybe iā€™m wrong and shouldnā€™t buy any of those 2. Iā€™m also not afraid to eq the headphone.

The HE6se V2ā€™s will require a solid amp investment, if you donā€™t already have one.

FWIW Iā€™m quite happy with my Ayima A07 with homemade speaker to XLR tap, which costs less than a Schiit Magni.

I wouldnā€™t get the he6se v2 unless youā€™re willing to either mess with either cheap speaker amps and clean power with some EQ or $1000+ amps or they are kinda disappointing and thereā€™s a reason thereā€™s like 1,000 for sale on the used market right now lol. The XS is more well rounded at gear that isnā€™t that powerful but they definitely scale well with power and probably a better overall tuning and works for more stuff but the slam you get from an he6 with some serious power is pretty much unmatched by anything and with some slight mods they get extremely bassy. I think @hawaiibadboy just had grills and his measured like this:

but that being said they will still take a lot of power to give enough control to keep that slam together. there are cheap options but itā€™s kinda hard to rec since cheap speaker amps can be scary. The XS is probably an all around safer and easier recommendation, honestly. Feed it some power for sure but it doesnā€™t take nearly the power of the HE6. Also the HE6 isnā€™t a soundstage monster, itā€™s big, but not nearly the size and depth of the XS. Both really resolving headphones. Both really precise imaging. XS has a lot of soundstage height and quite a bit of rear capabilty which is cool. Both headphones are going to have so much more bass control that youā€™ll be expecting and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll love either one.

1 Like

welcome to HFG zipak!

what is your sound chain? what is your source, your DAC and you amp? Iā€™m curious as the HD650 is known for having decent bass, but itā€™s 300 ohms, so needs a fairly good amp to drive it.

Thank you a lot @Pokrog and @ShaneD
Right now i have a Schiit Heresy but i can upgrade to a Sp200 if it worth it even for XS.
I think i will try XS, itā€™s also 32% cheaper or more in new condition vs open box HE6se V2.

1 Like

Thank you !
I as using my computer with a khardas tone board + an amp (i donā€™t remember the name) but the bass was very weak too me (didnā€™t eq at the time).
I much prefer the bass of the Philips X2hr.
When i look at those graphs it seems that HD650 bass roll off very soon : HD650
compare it too X2HR : Philips X2
+too much mediums.
Thatā€™s how i know I like very much the Harman curve

1 Like

That would definitely be the Much cheaper option, when you consider amplification!
Enjoy!

what is your source chain and have you burned them in at all?

Just a brief update on my part. I got a Topping d10 Balanced to pair with the Topping L50. It is on the bright side for sure but I think I will keep this combination for the time being.

However, I feel I have to point out that I am not sure the EDXS need that much power: trying them back and forth with the stack I got and then plugging them to the iPhone 6s Plus, actually I feel to say that the latter is already enough to enjoy them.

1 Like

I am using a schiit magni heresi amplifier, it still does not have burn in but its sound is not satisfactory for me, in genres like rock where there are many instruments it is like all the mids and trebles would screech without control, the treble has a peak at 2k and 4k, I tried to equalize but I did not like its sound, in electronics and. Vocal sounds good but nothing compared to the quality and balanced sound, definition and bass of my M570 (32 ohms-96db). Even my Fidelios H2HR have a better rounded sound.

So I decides to sell it and buy a Monolith M1570 or a closed M1060C

i would definitely give it some burn in and upgrade your system before declaring some planars as throwaways. they are just miles ahead of the m570 in capabilities and that might not be clear on a heresy but with more power it will become obvious. iā€™d strongly recommend keeping them for a little while, burn in is real and power can be drastic on planars in general but especially on lower sensitivity ones like the XS.

iā€™d also like to add that you arenā€™t hearing what your m570s are capable of with a heresy. youā€™re at super entry level gear and pushing into mid-fi headphones and thatā€™s just not a fair comparison. you might not believe that power can make the difference youā€™re hearing but itā€™s very real and not subtle once youā€™ve pushed past it.

So which amp do you can recommend to me?, and second question, have you heard the m570 before?

Itā€™s okay to trust your gut. In my experience, source pairing or even EQ donā€™t usually rescue headphones that I hated in the first place. I used to torture myself trying to find ways to enjoy stuff that other people said I should enjoy, but life is too short. Now I enjoy the stuff I like and I donā€™t waste time on the stuff I donā€™t.

2 Likes

Very wise advice!

I have the M1060C - I use it open (took off the cups).

I prefer the XS. The monolith can be a bit fatiguing in direct comparison. I do assert that they have more forward mids, but for stage, non-fatigue listening, separation, resolution, nuances, micro as well as macro details, imaging etcā€¦ airiness evenā€¦

I prefer the XS.

Nonetheless, I shall not discount in any way your subjective opinions on your own comparisons with the 570 - as even my comparisons and opinions are subjective to MEā€¦

EDIT: I must add, though @TheGreatOilPainter did suggest you donā€™t need a lot of power, but funny as it is, for me, my nissin USB DAC dongle can power the M1060C fine, yet they hardly power my XS enough, so I would still highlight power issues you may be having. Again, maybe Iā€™m right, maybe Iā€™m wrong so - explore more buddy, explore more. And yes, as @Pokrog said, give them some time. I didnā€™t like them very much the first 30 minutes - but Iā€™ve come far now. The m1060C now feels to me, an inferior and a less finessed headphone to the Edition XS.

Me personally, Iā€™m using the iFi micro iDSD OG. Am yet to try out balanced on my Tone2Pro+ SH-9 - I hope it will be a better combo.

1 Like