đŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

I agree. While the 58x doesn’t have the detail or soundstage(on SS) as other headphones, it has that midrange that is only rivaled by its close relative the 6xx.
The 58x does some things fantastic, the HEXS does other things fantastic. To me they both complement each other nicely in a collection.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with a 58x. The M50x is sizzling hot garbage, but the 58x is a nice starter can that serves many people well for a long time.

2 Likes

why is there a penis in this picture? :flushed:

5 Likes

Hmmm I never looked at it that way before lol

3 Likes

Probably because it was designed by guys, lol.

1 Like

This morning I got the Topping L50. Since I need the stack to do nothing else than serving for the EDXS, I thought of paring the L50 with the Topping D10 Balanced, but I am afraid it could be too bright. Is anybody knowledgeable about that combination?
Alternatives could be the E50 or maybe the ifi dac v2 (found a cable that splits the 4.4 balanced to two 6.35 balanced, it relatively adds to the cost though). In any case, I want to use the balanced connections of the L50 to feed it 4Vrms.

what’s your max budget?

I am thinking around 300 usd max. But on “audio science review” the measurements of the d10 balanced seemed impressive so I wondered why not just getting that, since I need no BT or other functions. In that same forum, a user in the thread dedicated to the E50 mentioned his d10 balanced being harsh so I got concerned though. He mentioned it could be his unit malfunctioning though.
So I have been considering the d10B, the ifi zen dac v2 (which would take an expensive cable or cables and adapters to connect balanced to the L50), the E50, the SMSL M300 MK2. Do you advice me to consider anything else? By the way, where I live, I cannot find schiit products.
I was also thinking about eventually adding the Douk U2 Pro that you were mentioning.

I received my pair yesterday. It’s difficult to add much after that precise review made by @Pokrog

Good stuff:

I can say that midrange tone and timbre is shockingly good for the price. Although these are my first planars, I expected to hear this kind of timbre on $1500+ planars, no less

What I also didn’t expect is that they have great isolation while sounding completely open and stock pads are great for my preference

I didn’t expect them to be that comfy. I have a big head, so that small amount of clamping force is just perfect for me

These are great all-rounders. I didn’t find any music they didn’t fit. Their FR looks like they are analytical and boring, but they are nothing like that

They are easy to drive and not amp picky

Bad stuff::

What immediately caught my attention is their deep subbass extension that was also distorting as hell. That is probably the main reason why they are considered mid-fi by hifiman. I didn’t expect my first experience with planar subbass to be this bad, lol. That was easy to fix with EQ (EQ freak here)

That 11 700hz peak was killing my brain. I had to cut it out

Here’s the result for EasyQ foobar plugin

EDXS_EQ

Weird stuff:

They respond terrible to EQ in general, which I didn’t expect, hearing all those stories about planars being responsive to EQ - nothing like that with this model. They remind me of HD 650; their tuning is at delicate balance. I don’t recommend touching any peaks or dips unless you really have to

2 Likes

This is were a strong amp comes into play with the xs. Running on an Asgard 3 I get clean sub bass. Both with music and test tracks.

What amp are you running them on?

Burson Soloist 3XP balanced out. Zen dac showed the same flaw. I’m serious, just try the EQ and decide for yourself. Before it I couldn’t hear subbass notes that I knew were there. My current dac is new and my pair of XS is new, so probably some burn in will improve it long term, though I doubt it, cus zen dac showed the same flaw. It’s also possible that my pair is defective

I forgot to mention that asgard 3 is more mid-forward than both zen dac and 3xp, so A3 won’t benefit from this EQ much

So do you only hear the distortion when you EQ, or is it always there with sub-bass?
The A3 certainly is a bit mid forward, but with no EQ there is sub bass. Using test tracks 20hz is present and clean, though as expected not as powerful as 40hz.

I’m wondering if you’re getting that tightness that loosens up with burn in because I get absolutely zero bass distortion. It’s impeccably clean. I hope it clears up because I was shocked to hear you were getting anything other than crystal clear sound throughout the FR.

Good to know! Yes, we need all feedback, good AND bad.

Should help folks decide better.

1 Like

hey Pokrog
give the Decaf remix for White Clouds a try on these.

1 Like

yeah, flawless control. you can make out every separate note the piano is playing the whole time that (guessing by ear) 28ish hz rumble is playing and it has not even a slight hint of distortion. only way it could sound any better and more controlled is with no youtube compression, but i couldn’t find it on amazon hd.

3 Likes

you can find decaf stuff on some torrent sites
three or four big zip files.

1 Like

OH MY GOD the resonance in my head!!!

No distortion on my set either

1 Like

1 Like