🔶 Hifiman Edition XS

@surly ordered mine from Aliexpress 4 days ago.

1 Like

@Caeg recommend a seller?
Thanks.

As an Ananda owner I’m curious, but I also remember all the wanking on the Gold Planar threads, lol.

3 Likes

I went with this listing:

Never actually ordered headphones on AliExpress. Only cables. Went with this listing since it already had a few orders and it was free returns.

2 Likes

Umm that shop is literally 6 month old…

Got my pair just like an hour ago - am gathering impressions @Pokrog and @FullBright1 are quite right about their impressions. That’s almost what I’m hearing. @Pokrog yeah I like em! You were right. I have the M1060C on hand to compare - that now sounds too forward and maybe even fatiguing lol.

Finally - the egg-shaped Hifimans I’ve been eyeing for the better part of 5 years, delivers enough of the Edition X to whatever extent I can recall from memory…

And now my watch has ended.

7 Likes

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:

There’s one thing to note here now. I got this from Hifigo.
The box had it’s seals OPEN. The tape was cut.

I don’t know what to gather from this. I think it would be quite the trouble for me to chase this ‘mystery’ down.
Were they tried to make sure all’s ok? Were they tested? At Hifigo?

If they WERE indeed tried/tested or whatever, they look fine and good as new really - given the QA issues one could have, it’s better for me to keep this pair instead of RMAing for a seal-packed pair which may surprise me of any unknown possibilities.

But I wanted to share this here regardless for any of you ordering - especially from Hifigo.

So for anyone ordering, maybe just ask them to confirm with them so no one else gets it like this.

Here’s exactly how I got them; I did not cut these seals on the box:

@Pokrog @FullBright1 Can you guys confirm this? Anyone else? How did you guys get them?

1 Like

I got mine from hifigo and my tape was intact. Maybe to avoid the hassle of returns they tested them? Idk sounds weird.

Hmmm yeah that’s possible I suppose. Maybe it was a testing thing yeah - that’s the most logical explanation here. Anyhow, I don’t see any issues (personally) here so I’ll keep them. Well, all looks good - don’t think I should worry myself about it so much. Should there be any issues, we have the warranty anyhow so… Just missed the true ‘unboxing’ feeling lol as they were already unboxed :see_no_evil:

Hehe I wonder if this is the pair in their unboxing video lol… anyhow. Will sleep on it.
EDIT: Hehe maybe - after my order they went out of stock lol.

Ya know you might be on to something. I could definitely see them selling their unboxing one last lol

1 Like

lol - ok so I watched their video again - I’m feeling like this is the same pair from the video.
There’s an inconsistency in the front middle part of the left earpad that I can notice on my set too lol.
Anyhow if someone tested it, at least they new this pair wouldn’t surprise the customer lol.

1 Like

Ok so I know a lot of you don’t know me around these parts, but I’m a bit of a hardcore. I have some mods planned for these.

So here’s some photos I’ve taken, the parts apart if this could help anyone on the internals of the Edition XS.

Good to know they’re double sided magnet - I personally prefer so.

Was unclear if the grill was some plastic, but it’s metal - that’s quite a reassuring feeling. Feels like magnesium or something - similar to those Denon/EMU headphone frames.

(Don’t tell Hifiman or Hifigo)

10 Likes

Maybe a partial refund is in order, since they were technically not in new condition. Open box 'phones typically are sold at a discount.

Let me see where that takes me…

This right here made the bass so so so much better. I’d highly suggest trying to make the driver and shell basically one cohesive piece and I’m sure it’s just as easy as the gl2k

2 Likes

Hmm looks interesting. Let me see about the possibilities here… though the space is a bit tight here in the Hifimans, but fingers crossed.

Yeah I used really thick felt tape with the gl2k because the gap inside was huge but there’s thinner ones. I’m glad you’re modding them too, that’s what I got them for so I don’t have to trial and error my he1000se.

1 Like

He-1000SEs??/ Wow, planar hifinage is nothing new to you hunh… Nice!

In comparison to the Sundara, would you consider this an upgrade, downgrade or at a similar level but with a different sound profile?

Appreciate the extensive summary of your impressions.