đŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

I can tell you definitively, for sure, that it isn’t the edition xx driver. I’ve had them both apart and looked at them both and when you’ve seen the stealth drivers side by side next to the driver they’re replacing you can definitely tell the difference.

3 Likes

Interestingly, mine should arrive on Nov 3 as well.

Personally, I’ve been eyeing the large egg-shaped Hifimans ever since I tried the Edition X at a meet, 2015-ish. Edition XX came quite close to the wallet years ago, but finally bit the bullet on this one.

Hopefully if no QC issues etc., this will be my last purchase after a plethora of cans - if these are half as good in sound, I will cherish them for a long time to come. Will quid pro quo soon - have a Monolith M1060c (opened cups) on hand to compare atm. Can compare (from memory) with the 400i, 4XX, Elex, EMU Teak, 6XX etc.

1 Like

I really think you’ll like them. They’re really really nice all around aside from very fixable clamp pressure inconsistencies.

1 Like

Thank you - I hope so, too.

I’ve been reading all that you put up, probably the first guy around, or at least one of the very first ones who shared their experiences on these - been very reassuring, really.

So I’ve had them apart a few times and everything seems slightly improved in the build quality from the HEXv2 and XX. All the tolerances are noticeably tighter and given the price I can’t find a single complaint, honestly. HEXv2 over time got kinda rickety but these look like those fail points are reinforced a little and I do have faith they’ll last a good while.

2 Likes

I know it’s probably a pipe dream, but hopefully these will one day come to more “reputable” NA based dealers in the future, or at least the ability to directly buy them from hifiman themselves. They seem to be very elusive.

The 400se were out there for a while before selling officially internationally

1 Like

I emailed hifiman about that and told them I really think they should bring them to the US market and actually got a response saying they’re glad I like them and that they’re passing it up the ladder so fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Ah, nice fingers crossed!

A poster on Head-Fi reported that the XS is a China only release, according to Hifiman. Maybe they’ll decide to release it worldwide someday, but I doubt it’s imminent.

2 Likes

Yeah that was my assumption, hopefully it eventually gets the nod though.

Yeah that’s actually what made me email hifiman lol

@ATK @FullBright1 you guys get yours yet?

@Pokrog how long did it take yours to arrive once it got to the States?

2 or 3 days

1 Like

@Pokrog Not yet. But I should get it today, soon. Should be out for delivery in a few hours.

Today, I posted this short reveiw on Headfi.
If interested, There is a bit of discussion going on there, since the review and before it as well.

Here it is

Hifiman Edition XS Mini Review. : 11-03-2021

Box : Typical Hifiman, has the dark lush soft packing.

Cable : Decent. Rubber. Short. Mild Jank

Headband : The Original Edition X and V2 have a superior headband. The XS headband is softly padded but singular. Just a bar, typical of the older Hifiman frames. Comfort of the headband is : 7.9

Pads and Clamp. : The clamp force is going to be moderate on medium heads and slightly firm on big heads. The Pads are ok, not quite soft at first feel, but this will change with break in time

How do they sound right out of the box?

Typical of Hifman, they have a somewhat airy treble, a very slight “V” shape, and credible bass and plenty of treble extension.
Not a warm or cold sounding headphone, but other then the Susvara, the HE1000 series is more clinical and analytical
= And so is the XS.
Hifiman Headphones, from HE1000 - Susvara, have a slight V shape and are slightly Treble oriented in Sound.
Less so with the Susvara.
As compared to the original “Edition” series", right out of the box, and not burned in it at all, I would consider the XS to sound more like the original Edition X, yet more controlled, FR balanced, and slightly more tonally smooth.

1.) Comfort: The headphones are comfortable, but not as comfy as the HE1000 series.

2.) Treble : Its slightly airy, and very typical of the HE 1000 series, but not quite as hyper extended as you find with the V2 and the HEKSE. Right out of the Box = There is PLENTY of Treble in the XS FR that manifests as extremely clean sound.

3.) Midrange : Hifiman does not design Audeze midrange into their headphones, and so, you wont find that type of “honk” inside the sound of the XS. Mids presented by the XS are very articulate, pleasant, not dry, and very slightly clinical. Vocals stand out, acoustic instruments sound truthful and cymbals are very nicely presented.
Electronic music plays well in the XS’s.

4.) Bass : Bass is similar to the Edition X series in tone and layering, but its a bit more controlled in that offers enough power and extension to work well with music that requires it to provide some meat, but its not a Bass Head slamming low end, its more finessed and articulate and balanced.

5.) Soundstage : You are not totally submerged inside a huge room as you find with the V2, yet, its a nicely immersive SS. The height of the SS is good, the depth is good, and the width is not disappointing, but not so wide that you lose the sense of instruments and vocals in front of you. The SS is perceived as “accurate” vs “enhanced”.

6.) Timbre : Clean and Precise.

7.) Detail Retrieval : Here is where the XS shines brightest. Its a detailed headphone sound that manages to walk the fine line between being quite detail revealing yet still very musical. This is what Hifiman does so well
 They don’t give you that over-cookes lower mid situation that fights the clarity of the treble. Vocals pop in the XS’s with a lot of layering. It very impressive.

8.) Instrument Separation : Its very good like all Hifiman’s.

9.) Power requirements : These are not going to sound their best out of a cell phone or weak Dac/Amp. They do bloom with Tubes and they do shine sonically their soundstage best best when used with Balanced cables and a little bit of power feeding them.
If you only uses them in SE mode, then the Vocals and the center of the soundstage is more focused and in front.

Final Analysis : A good value. Fans of the Hifiman sound will find much to enjoy. The XS offers what Hifiman does best
the clarity, the details, the soundstage, the treble, and the unique overall sonic presentation that you can only get with a Hifiman Gear.
The XS is designed for listening enjoyment and offers fine detail retrieval and clarity.

9 Likes

Totally agree here. Reminds me of Arya soundstage size without the exaggeration.

Exactly what I’m getting too. The HEKv2/se have those occasional spicy peaks that if they aren’t pushed give that little bit of extra treble detail but can be too much from time to time but I’m not getting that with the XS. Right on the cusp of sibilance without actually getting sibilant. They found that stopping point and didn’t push it.

I think this is what makes me think of them more along the lines of the HEK line than the HEX, the tuning is just a lot better IMO than the previous HEX iterations. Not to mention they’re quite a bit more resolving than I remember the HEX line being.

This is why I think they stand out to me. I can’t think of a single hifiman that doesn’t sound at least a bit dry up until the HEK price point, with a proper synergized HE6 being the sole outlier.

Very clean and precise but somehow still sounds very natural unlike 90% of hifimans that come off as a bit tinny.

3 Likes

I don’t have my pair yet, but I remember with the Edition X V2 the tone changes some based on how the cups are positioned on your ears. If I recall correctly, the sound was brighter the lower they sat on your head. So, it might be worthwhile to experiment with adjusting the headband for the best sound. I’m sure some of you were already aware, but I thought I’d bring this up for those who are new to the large cup Hifimans.

Also, many people have issues with this type of headband, pressure at the top of the head and such. It was an issue for me with the HE400se, so in anticipation of the XS, I ordered a custom knitted headband cover. Other ideas for improving comfort include attaching a HD 600 headband cushion, or a ZMF pilot pad, or Dekoni Nuggets even. I also noticed a leather suspension strap on Ebay that might work. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it should be possible to bend the headband slightly to adjust the clamp too. I’m sure some people won’t have issues with the stock headband though.

1 Like

I think I am keen to give these a try as well. Anyone decided to go the AliExpress route for purchase?