šŸ”¶ HiFiman Edition XX

Well as long as itā€™s better Iā€™d be happy. What about presence or forwardness in particular?

1 Like

To me the 4xx feels a little thin in the lower vocal range, giving vocals a hollowness. The XX gives vocals a more full sound, most noticeable with male vocals. I wouldnā€™t call vocals forward, but nor are they recessed. I have to confess Iā€™m having difficulty operationalizing the term ā€œpresenceā€ in this context.

2 Likes

join the club :smile:
thatā€™s exactly what @Bmn1251 and I did

1 Like

And is it true? Direct upgrade? And better at what?

Edit: but also the hexv2 was a 2016 model and I donā€™t know when they discontinued it. I imagine sometime soon the HiFiMan QC issues and time will make for a bad combo :neutral_face:

By ā€œpresenceā€ I basically just mean forwardness. So vocals with greater presence are simply more prominent/forward.

So far Iā€™m finding the Edition XX are a more direct upgrade from the 4XX compared to the Sundara. The biggest improvement is the bass. Itā€™s MUCH better extension, control, clarity, and detail. It can also handle a pretty significant EQ boost. The mids and treble are also better. But the improvement isnā€™t big enough to warrant the $650 price IMO. Excluding the Bass region, Iā€™m finding the much cheaper Sundara to be just as good technically. Though I still prefer the timbre on the ED. XX.

The tonality differs from 4XX around 1k-4k as shown in my measurements (and confirmed with my own hearing). Basically thereā€™s less in the 1.4k area and more in the 3k area. I personally much prefer the mid range balance on the 4XX. Iā€™m finding the ED.XX upper mids to be too overly forward. Because of that, I still prefer the 4XX for most music that isnā€™t bass heavy. I can EQ the ED.XX into something better than the 4XX. But I can also do the same with most of my other headphones. So where does that leave the ED.XX? Sadly it doesnā€™t excel in any area enough to secure a place in my collection. So right now Iā€™m leaning towards selling or returning them. If anyone wants to save about $120 on a pair, message me.

BLUE - EDITION XX | RED - 4XX

Measured on EARS rig

6 Likes

That is too bad.

1 Like

Yeah once you own a few great high end pairs you love, buying cheaper stuff is much more likely to disappoint. But I still love some of my midrange stuff like the HD600. So the journey continuesā€¦

Nice review. I overall enjoyed my time with the Edition XX. I did realize its limitations in time, as well. I agree with you that the $630 list price is pretty steep. If you can get a pair in the $400 range though, they are a lot of fun.

2 Likes

The best qualities I found on the xx where the bass and midrange, along with what the stage could do, much more verticality than i had heard up until then. Good write up, also what amps where you using on the sundara and xx?

I was mainly using the Asgard 3 for my testing. Do you have any good example tracks that would demonstrate verticality? I wasnā€™t getting any extra sense of verticality from the songs I tried so far.

Obviously nothing is gonna sound 100 ft above or below, but when you listen, try and hear some instruments layered just above/below and on top/bottom of each other I times.

1 Like

hmm, when I first got the edition xx, my very first impression was wtf why is everything so high vertically? I thought it sounded weird and was a little worried I wouldnā€™t like the headphone. Pretty soon I became used to it, and the he400 sounded short and flat in comparison. Just sharing my experience

not necessarily the best example but something that immediately came to mind as I have been enjoying this song lately. (Lotā€™s of the intro especially is vertically placed high on my he x v2, so I would imagine the same would happen on the edition xx)

2 Likes

I finally got around to trying out those tracks. ā€˜Falling off a horseā€™ was my favorite of them. Iā€™ll have to add that to my headphone test playlist.
Anyway it sounds as though the low frequencies are originating from a lower position and the highs on a higher position. I saw a review where the Edition XX was described as having speaker-like presentation. So now I know what he meant by that.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t get around to responding earlier, but in my XX review I mentioned the song Susie Q by CCR. On the XX that track sounded like John Fogertyā€™s voice was floating up high in the right channel.

2 Likes

Are you still using them a lot five months later? I am very curious to compare to Sundaraā€™s and Elexā€™s. It will take another two weeks for mine to cross North America. :smile:

1 Like

Naw. I sold the XX to help fund my Hex V2 acquisition. The Hex has similar signature but is a noticeable upgrade in technicalities. I did like the XX though. Great signature and got me hooked on that planar bass.

3 Likes

For me, XX was far more enjoyable than the sundaras :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I got these tonight, but am only testing them on my desktop system. Wow, are they ever huge! I have them on the shortest setting and they cover my ears and more. Looking forward to trying them in the main listening system tomorrow.

All I can say so far is that I agree about them being slower. Sounded great with Meg Myers, Bishop Briggs, Roxy Music, John Lennon and The Blue Stones. With the Deftones and Seether it ranges from great to ā€œcongestedā€, when the music gets really hard.
This is from a desktop system consisting of computer to Topping D30 to Liquid Spark to Edition XXā€™s.

See what happens tomorrow.

PS: Great with some Larkin Poe!

2 Likes

The HFM HEX v2 is much more coherent and detailed than the XX. One should be able to get a HEX v2 for $675ish. It needs a pair of nuggets, time to get ears centered in the pads, silver plated cable much better than the stock rubbish. Also needs a digital parametric EQ quite badly if you want to enjoy the technicals. The XX is like a bad mimeograph of the HEX v2.

OTOH itā€™s far better (except in bass impact) the the 4XX, Sundara. The Ananda is much brighter than the HEX or XX.

The HE-500 is a better can than the XX IMO, esp with proper mods.