🔶 HiFiman Edition XX

It is a technical improvement for sure. The use of “much” is in the eye - er, ear - of the beholder.

They do occasionally pop up around there, yes. However, @ShaneD is Canadian where it’s probably even harder to get ahold of one.

Disagree. My HexV2 sounds pretty darn good w/o any EQ beyond synergy searching. It is amp sensitive, though. What amp were you using to need such fixes?

The XX is the can that showed me what “planar bass” was all about.

I put these into my listening system today. I was initially underwhelmed by the sound as I usually am when changing over from a favourite set-up.

I was running DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) to EQ (Schiit Loki) to Amp (Violectric V220) via SE to my headphones.
The music sounded okay, but not really clear. There was no separation of instruments and it seemed to have a veil in front of the sound. Not what I expected.

Then I went to my other favourite amp, the Liquid Platinum. Wow, did they ever open up with this amp, via balanced output. Like my Sundara’s and Elex’s, the LP really brings out the best of them.

I will continue with this set-up tomorrow and then start doing comparisons against my other 'phones.

3 Likes

More testing today. I do have a testing list, but I couldn’t get it down to less than 44. :grin: I really do have to try harder.

I forgot that I had a switch and so I am running two amps at once, and have volume matched within a few tenths of a decibel.

The chain is DAP to DAC to Loki to both amps via split RCA cables.

MAD Ear+ HDII tube amp and Violectric V220 SS amp.
Both amps are using the same EQ settings and both are SE out.

In a nushell, tube is wider, lighter/thinner, softer and more open.

SS is more focused, bassier and more closed sounding. Very different sounds flicking back and forth.

2 Likes

I use a Ragnarok 1 and a Gumby 1. As a builder and modifier of equipment since the 70’s every can I have is modded, and since I discovered the new digital parametrics are actually good, nay great. I’ve tuned all my cans and speakers using test recordings not to mention dozens of acoustic recordings that I also heard live.

I have these cans: HE-6se, HEX v2, HE-500, HD-600, HE-5LE, MD-4XX, Fostex FH500RP.

I had a HW EQ back in 1978, and turned my back on EQ when I sold it as audible effects and not worth the trouble. I went streaming via a LG v40 (Tidal hi-res) a year ago and tried the digital parametric in the UAPP, and its totally inaudible outside of selected changes even with adjacent settings being over 10 db apart at times, a bif fail for HW EQ. The HEX v2 and HE5-LE need quite a bit of adjustment to get to neutral. With no EQ the HEX v2 lacks dynamics, has a depressed upper mid/low treble, mids voices are slightly hollow. If you never EQ it, its not as obvious. It’s also critical IMO to get the center of the driver right over the ear canal for the technicals/highs to fully show (nuggets). Also the stock cable is like every HFM cable I’ve seen - rubbish. I have an after market copper cable and silver cable and the silver seems to enhance the treble a bit. Very relaxing stock - get closer to nirvana when adjustments made.

Ah, we have different listening goals. I prefer “fun” over “neutral” - as poorly disentangled from each other as those terms are. IMO, neutral isn’t fun and listening to music should be fun or otherwise emotionally engaging. However, I totally get that for some people a neutral presentation is fun/engaging. The HexV2 is non-neutral in a way that I enjoy. I like it’s warmth and bass extension. I’ve never had issues with it’s clarity…in fact it might be the most clear (maybe…it’s close) in my collection - which also includes LCD-2, Elegia, DT880-600, and a full Lawton-modded TH-X00. I like how the HexV2 sounds so enormous. It’s almost like being in the 3rd or 4th row of a concert all the time. Does that work for all music? No. That’s why I have 4 other headphones too. The Edition XX hinted at a lot of the qualities I just mentioned and got me hungry for them. The HexV2 delivered. I also don’t enjoy playing with EQ all that much. I’m not hardcore anti-EQ. I use the bass boost on iFi dacs, for example. But if the amount of EQ’ing takes more effort than hitting a bass boost button, then I’m listening to a headphone that isn’t for me, IMO, and I should find a different one that more closely matches what I’m after in its stock form. Anyway, thanks for clarifying your thoughts. Cheers :beers:

So actually you are telling me that you use different cans to change the mood or the EQ. I have a tight rotation of 4 cans that are EQ’d and they don’t sound very much alike.

I agree the headstage of the HEX v2 is enormous - but the stage is notably too tall, and a little short at the edges. My modified HE-500 has a much wider headstage, very similar to well placed speakers in a room.

I also agree that the HEX v2 is clearer than the other models you mentioned which are more fun in their way. I did own the LCD-2 and the Mahogany X00. I tried everything to do to make them listenable to me. I do like the cushy leather chair sound that the LCD-2 hints at, but only really gets right with the LCD-4 attempt. I like the ebony X00 somewhat but could not deal with all the ways the Mahogany was wrong for me.

I have the HE6se and that’s got much more slam along with the 500 than the HEX. The HEX is excellent at female vocals, strings, modern 4-6 pieces rock/jazz recordings of high quality. it’s not the can for the Who, although some of Quadrophenia comes thru well.

Doing the “mods” is like wearing glasses for 4-5 years and getting a new script. The character isn’t changed, but the details are notably crisper - that’s what IMO you miss by not trying EQ. I’ll send you settings to try if you are interested.

Also these days I’d rather listen to my HD-600 on an OTL amp. Don’t knock it until you try it.

1 Like

I am finding quite the opposite. I never thought of the Sundara’s as having amazing clarity, but compared to the XX’s they do.

The XXX’s have a mild advantage in bass and a larger sound presentation, but I would rather have the clarity and sharpness of the Sundara’s.

Thats mainly why i liked them over the sundaras.

That’s why i moved on from xx to hexv2,clears, and eikon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

The XXX’s have a mild advantage in (b)ass and a larger … presentation…

I see that you like yours thicc :smirk:

2 Likes

These have been a tough sell and so I think I might keep them. I was thinking since I got these that they could really use the Dekoni Nuggets. I passed ordering them before, but I see that Drop has them up again.

One problem I have noticed is that one earpad has kind of come apart. The material inside has come loose from the foam. My wife is trying to fix it, but I think I need a new pad. And I guess I need a HiFiman pad.
Their website say $79.00US. That will be Well over $100.00Cdn., landed in Canada. Yikes.

Right now, they are a work in progress. :grin:

I think I will keep these and my newest addition (LCD-2 Classics) and probably sell the Sundara’s.

1 Like