🔶 HifiMan HE-400i

They do leak a fair bit and let in sound pretty well, so pretty open

So I can imagine the background noise from living in a fairly noisy place would end up hurting the sound quality?

Not necessarily hurting the quality, but it would be distracting. You might not be able to hear some detail because of loud background noise unless you crank it

If that’s the case I’ll probably like the other closed back headphones I’ve been looking at more considering their isolation, but it wouldn’t hurt trying these out first to see if it’ll make an actual difference for me.

A fun can. Doesn’t react to balanced or big amps, fine w/ a DAP (Fii) X3).

Blowviating mid and upper bass make up for the mostly missing low bass. Not a real disciplined can, but it makes a lot of noise in the mids and treble. Cables didn’t really do much, what does is a dose of anti vibration material on the back side of the can along the outer edge under the screen. Sorbothane is the best but better a mix of 'sorb and dynamat - eats up a lot of the reverberent and non-musical bass cruft. Leave off the screens for a bit more relief from reverb and a slightly wider soundstage.

Just did a review of the HE4xx here:

Those don’t look like the pali pads, it honestly looks like a drop but not drop version lol, I wonder if there will be any driver tweaks

Hey, has anybody some informations about the new 2020 revision of the 400i using what seams like the Deva headband?
Did they change anything else?

It’s available! Hifiman 400i 2020 169$ from official hifiman store.

1 Like

That’s funny, I was going to post the new 400i a couple days ago.

I haven’t heard from anyone who has used it but Hifiman is claiming everything is the same except the appearance. Drivers are supposed to be 100% identical but they said the same back when the first revision of the 400i and 560 happened and they removed the back plate on the drivers which had a slight change to the sound. I have a sneaking suspicion that the new 400i is using the Deva drivers but it’s only a suspicion because that is the one question the Hifiman rep avoided to answer.

3 Likes

I want them! I used to have the he4xx which I sold for the Sundara. If someone pulled the trigger in the 2020 model let us know how they compare to the he4xx.

1 Like

I have a pair on order to replace my defective HE-4XX’s that can’t be replaced right away, I will report back when I get them. How would you say the 4XX compares to the Sundara, I almost ordered those.

1 Like

For my ears they where different. The he4xx was more bright and sounded thin. The Sundara is more musical, have much more detail with forward mids. The sundara was in a complete tier above, but I ended selling my sundara. they fatigue after 30min, i had no trouble with the he4xx. I want a <200$ planar to keep around. That is why I am looking for this 2020 revision.

1 Like

I’ve had the 2020 version for about a week now, and I don’t think I like them very well. To me the 4xx’s were more my taste. The 400i has a bit more treble, i think more mid-forward too, and a bit less bass. I wonder how the Sundara’s would fit me, may try those next. Overall though I would say the 2020 version is well built, no issues with that at all.

2 Likes

How does the 2020 version compare to the 4xx in comfort? I recently bought a 4xx, and while I enjoy the sound, they are fairly uncomfortable on my head. Not sure if the cans are just heavy enough that the band pulls down a bit and get uncomfortable, or if it’s something else. May be interested in trying to trade them for the 400i if they’re more comfortable.

Strange… I find the 4xx like a pair of pillows on my head…

Haha, yeah, I kind of expected that too based on reviews, but the more I read it seems that it’s a love it or hate it design when it comes to comfort. For me, the band definitely fatigues the top of my head.

After owning he4xx, Sundara, and Ananda I can say that for me the Sundara may be the best overall value. Agreed about brightness when fresh out of the box. Did you burn them in? I played mine overnight at a moderate volume for few days and the treble calmed down considerably. I also amped them well and there was no lack of slam like some have spoken of. Emotiva a-100 FTW. Waiting on the newest 400i as a backup/change up set to t50rp mk3s and Ananda, I returned my he4xx because of several defects from Drop.

I believe that you’d like the Sundara. A substantial step up in sound quality. Probably the better overall value of most of the mid fi cans. Don’t judge them from their out of the box sound, play them overnight at a moderate volume for a few nights (or a couple of weeks) for burn in. The treble will calm down, bass will deepen and detail, soundstage will widen and seperate. Amp them well also, if you can. I’ve since moved to Ananda but just bought the 2020 400i as a backup and to play around. I’ll keep you all posted.

1 Like

Disclaimer, I am not treble and not bright sensitive,I am mid sensitive :rofl: . I used them for about 125~130h. I had the 4xx, sundara and ananda. I like the ananda. But, I returned my pair because the headband and the left cup where bend (Bought them from hifimam web). After that, I decide to take a break from hifiman products.