šŸ”¶ HifiMan HE-400i

actually i ended up removing the velcro strap because after a few days of it on the headband the foam seemed to permanently give in. so i donā€™t need it anymoreā€¦for now. similar to how some people put headphones over a bunch of books over night to reduce clamp faster.

that being said, iā€™m still thinking about ideas to mod the headband while keeping it fully intact. i was looking at some of beyerdynamicsā€™ headbands. they have the stuff with the buttons bit also some with velcro. but i bet none of them fit around this headband.

@abm0 i was looking at those too. they look so dumb but iā€™m really tempted.

So has anyone tried pad swapping the 2020 version? I Like the stock sound but the small hole size annoys me >.>

Tested old 400i no-grilles, thereā€™s not much difference and what there is isnā€™t necessarily for the better. With something close by for the highs to reflect off of I was normally hearing extreme-left and extreme-right sounds as very crisp and positioned close to the ear, in the cup or not far behind it. Without the grille, stage-edge sounds are more diffuse and less clearly positioned, which makes them feel farther away but in a vague, undefined way. This could create the impression that the stage is wider I guess, but itā€™s not in a way that I find attractive. Other than that, central sounds also lose some crispness and thatā€™s about it. So this seems mostly detrimental to the imaging for me. I do not prefer them like this vs. stock.

That grille variant might improve things, but no-grille I would say is not better.

Yeah itā€™s definitely not a massive improvement on all hifimans but the he6se and he400se respond extremely well to it. The 400i itā€™s kinda picky and I found putting the mesh from the stock grills on the honeycombs for a little dampening. @abm0

what i can say about the grill vs no grill thing is that IMHO it removes a certain degree of dampening of outside world sounds. this indeed makes things sound slightly more open because the music is less removed from what happens around you. i donā€™t really know the exact definition of sound stage but i personally thought it was how wide/deep/high the image is. i didnā€™t feel like any of that changed. when i snapped my fingers next to the earcup it just sounded less dampened on the side without grill.

so i guess itā€™s a bit of a game of semantics. i definately noticed a very small difference after not looking for sound stage size anymore.

i could imagine earpad shape and size having a real impact though.

So I finally found pads that donā€™t ruin the soundstage/imaging (i think they improve it actually), I donā€™t think they mess that much with the sound either, but I still ended up putting one layer of toilet paper below and now these went from ā€œI canā€™t really wear them for more than 20 minutesā€ to probably my most comfortable headphones, sound is better too (but that might be more the paper, hard to ab cause pad swapping these is hell)

Also they donā€™t include the rings, you gotta order those from somewhere else*

Does anyone know if thereā€™s any buying option for the 2020 ver. from new in UK for these? Amazon UKā€™s HIFIMAN shop seems to stop selling these and their official site doesnā€™t ship to UK it seems.

I just snagged a pair of the HE400is off of eBay for really cheap. These are the suspension headband version, but they have the 3.5mm jacks on the cups which makes them the second version if I am understanding what I have read correctly. Honestly, I find this headband to be exceptionally comfortable.

I owned a pair of Sundaras a couple years ago and didnā€™t particularly care for the sound as I found them to sound a bit bright and slightly metallic. I sold those Sundaras and always meant to find another low cost planar to replace them for use in my shop/garage or on the go, but I never got around it until I stumbled across these HE400is when trying to figure out how to spend some eBay credit I had.

Having listened to these for something like 5 hours now, I can say these are exactly what I was looking for. They have a nice, slightly warm, natural sound, pretty good detail retrieval, and are extremely comfortable. Right now I have them plugged into my A&K Kann Alpha and Iā€™m listening to a prog playlist (Hakenā€™s Visions album is on currently) and these 400is are hitting all the right sweet spots. When I think back to what was available for this kinda cash when I started out in this hobby, it makes me jealous for newcomers who get to start out with such amazing SQ for such modest money these days.

Now, considering I got this set in like new condition with pads that werenā€™t even broken in yet, new headphone smell still apparent, and a pretty nice braided aftermarket cable for $68 shipped, I am one very happy headphone enthusiast! Though, from a quick glance it looks like you can buy my older version of the HE400i new from a couple places new for $149 and the 2020 version new for like $169 and I can honestly say that these are definitely worth that kinda cash, IMO. Used it looks like these commonly hover around $100 for either version, though as my purchase shows, they can be found for significantly less. Point being, these are a SOLID pair of low cost planars and I donā€™t think I couldā€™ve spent $68 any better. Color me impressed. :+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I did the same put a Tripowin Cable on and some Dekoni Elite Velour pads and I am impressed and loving the results. I EQ the sub bass up a bit and they are perfect for me.

1 Like

How did the Dekonis effect the sound if you donā€™t mind me asking? Just wondering because I have heard that the stock pads in these wear out quickly so eventually I will need new pads for them. I have a bunch of pads at home from pad rolling with headphones like my AKGs that I might experiment with and I think I probably even have a pair of Elite Velours too.

I found it tamed the highs enough to not have to EQ and still have my slamin bass. I was worried about that but honestly with the upgraded pads I am not really looking for better and thatā€™s saying alot for me!

Sounds like something Iā€™m gonna need to try. Though I havenā€™t found the highs to be bothersome at all it still sounds like the Elite Velours might be a nice refined touch without losing the best traits. I have some fenestrated, hybrid pads, and angled pads Iā€™m probably going to try at some point just as an experiment that I tend to do with a lot of new acquisitions. The only reason I havenā€™t so far is because the stock pads are actually quite comfy so I have been listening to them quite a bit.

Anways, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. BTW, what sources/amps/DACs are you running your HE400is off of? Iā€™m always interested to see what other owners have settled on.

For me I am using either my computer with Amazon HD music or my Hiby R6 2020 into a Geshelli Labs J2 with the AKM chipset into a Topping A90D , mostly I listen to IEM or through the desktop system

1 Like

Nice clean lookinā€™ setup! What speakers are those? I have split my gear into multiple listening stations in an effort to have my primary desk setup look a bit like what you have going on here and Iā€™m liking it so far.

Just picked them up they are my Canadian ENERGY RC10 funny I sold these for years but never had a set until I saw them pop up on Facebook Market For $200 CDN could not resist so happy they are way smaller and perfect for the desk than my Adam Audio monitors and much more musical.

I have the KEF LS50s as my near field setup. I found them for a ridiculous price at a hifi shop that was going out of business a few hours away from me. They sound fantastic, but I still havenā€™t gotten used to the way they look with my big antique oak desk so Iā€™m always keeping my eye out for something that might match a bit better.

Edit: BTW, I think I sold my last pair of elite velours installed on a pair of headphones so I just ordered a couple pairs. Iā€™ll definitely post impressions here when I get a chance to try them.

1 Like

Just ordered a pair of grills for my HE400is from hifigrillman_6502 on eBay. I asked him if he could send me a pic of the bare metal grills without the paint and I like the look they have which is kinda between a matte silver and a shiny chrome. Iā€™m getting a pair of the bare metal grills with a clear coat to protect them from rust, corrosion, oxidation, etc.

The gold grills look sick on the HE6 with the gold traces/drivers, but the HE400i doesnā€™t have that gold color on the driver to tie it together so I figured a silver color would be best, but I also didnā€™t want it to look to shiny/gaudy as I wanted to keep it understated. These look like theyā€™re gonna work perfectly!

2 Likes

Link here thanks I think I will get the silver as well.

1 Like

Funny I was looking at a good deal on a set of pre stealth Ananda and was about to pull the trigger but I was playing with the MSEB EQ on my Hiby R6 2020 and was thinking of the 400i sound this good and will sound better yet with the grill mod I might not buy the Ananda as the 400i are making me happy.

Yeah definitely interested in your thoughts.I ordered the same silver set tonight! Thanks for posting.

1 Like