Hifiman HE1000 vs V2 vs HE1000se vs Arya

I have this feeling that it’s how sealed the driver is to the cup and takes up every bit of earcup real estate.

I guess “More capable “ cans wasn’t really what I meant. There’s certainly nothing un capable about the V2’s, they’re incredibly good in their own right! Both the V2’s and the SE’s do the job in fine style, just in different ways.

Delta9K I can give you a more detailed synopsis of HE1000SE if you are still interested. I’ve been listening to it pretty steadily for 3 weeks now.

1 Like

I am interested to hear what you have found in your comparison. I don’t think I am ready to upgrade my v2, I am pretty infatuated with it, and I would certainly need to hear an SE myself before making a decision like that, but yet I still would like to know.

Absolutely,I totally understand why you are infatuated your 1000V2’s, I was infatuated with mine as well!!! The main reason I got the 1000SE upgrade in the first place was I bought my V2’s used as a demo pair and so they already had a few hours on them, and then over the next 3 years I put on literally thousands more. Plus the headphone was off warranty and I live in Canada, so I was thinking if a driver failed or some other stupid thing happened, by the time I was done paying for the repair in USD and shipping I was almost farther ahead to just go for the upgrade, at least I’d have a new headphone and a new warranty. And I TOTALLY hear you, I as well wanted to hear the SE’s before I bought them but unfortunately there were none to be found in all of western Canada so it was either go blind or not at all!! I read as many blog comments and reviews as I could and it seemed practically everyone was satisfied with the upgrade to the SE, so after a few rums one night I decided to do it! A day later I was totally mortified to see my beloved V2’s heading down the road in a plain cardboard box towards NY. I thought I’d packed up my firstborn and was very frightened as to whether I would like the sound of the SE’s, as now it was too late to change my mind!! Fast forward 3 weeks and 150 hrs burn in and I can now give some quick impressions.
The ONLY reason I bought the HE1000SE without hearing it first was my faith that it would have the HFM sound signature I loved, and happily it did, with a couple of more minor differences.

Highs: Similar to the V2’s, but the SE has a little more “air” to its presentation. Overall very lush and smooth. Some people said the SE was “bright”, but I actually think the V2’s are brighter. If whatever you’re listening to is strident or bright, both headphones will sound a little tingly, but overall I really enjoy the treble on the SE. A totally effortless portrayal. Brush strokes, cymbals, triangles, all gorgeous.

Mids: Sounded a little flat and thin at first, but filling in nicely as burn in continues. Both male and female vocals sound very smooth and natural, with plenty of air and texture. No “bubble in the middle” with these either, vocalist appears dead center and about 10 yards ahead. Very nice.

Bass: I believe there is a slight difference here. Although bass is exceptionally good on both, the SE has none of the massive “bloom” the bass on the V2’s have. Both reach to extremely low proportions but I believe the SE’s portrayal is a little more precise and pinpoint, all while reaching as low as low can go. Tremendous layering and texture, totally enjoyable. As well, the bass on the SE has one characteristic not seen that much on HFM headphones, and that’s “Slam”. Almost Audeze like in this regard, you can practically feel your ears flapping in the wind, the bass reaching visceral proportions. Very enjoyable and satisfying.

Over all timbre, soundstage & imaging: Definitely a HFM but a major difference from the V2’s. Soundstage on the SE is NOT as tall or wide as the V2’s. Imagine if the V2’s sound like you’re in a big room, well the SE’s sound like you’re in a medium room. I thought that would bug me a bit, as I Ioved the huge soundstage on the V2’s, but it really doesn’t. The diaphragm is so fast on SE I believe detail retrieval is improved, and the general sound is “Closer in”, but somehow more intimate and “Exciting” for lack of a better word. Imaging, much like the V2’s, is awesome on the SE, with the ability to pinpoint exactly in space where something is coming from.

Conclusion: Would I say to somebody “Get rid of your V2’s , the SE is better in ever way”? Absolutely not. The V2’s are a fantastic headphone and you can be completely happy with them as your end game set of cans. What I WOULD say though, is if you liked the sound of the V2’s don’t worry you will also like the sound of the SE’s, no doubt about it. Now that my V2’s are gone I have seriously come to enjoy the precise, neutral-ish sound the SE provides. I think depending on your situation the upgrade program is solid, and I’m extremely pleased with the sound of the 1000SE. On a side note, I read all kinds of crap from guys saying HFM was using used drivers from the V2’s in the SE, or that the SE’s were used or reconditioned. NOT SO… my SE came in a bubble wrapped box, was shiny squeaky beautiful and smelled like a new car!! The stealth magnets used in the SE are rounded off and look nothing like the square magnets used on the V2’s so I don’t know where people get off making this stuff up! The two headphones sound totally different as well.
So that’s about it, I hope this has helped a bit. Although I’d definitely be happy with either, I’m certainly not sorry I sprung for the upgrade to the 1000SE.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed comparison. I enjoyed the read and the information provided. I have trolled many of the other forums where the “SE” is the subject and though there has been some good information bits found, for the most part it was like reading an infomercial full of testimonials of happy users who seemed to be more proud of their SE status vs. discussing technical differences between the v2 & SE.

I also really appreciated the back story on why you upgraded and there were moments I was right there with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share!

It was my pleasure, Delta. If you’re ever wondering how my SE’s are faring as time goes by never hesitate to ask!! In the meantime, enjoy the V2’s, they were my first stab at a TOTL headphone and I will always have fond memories of how great they sounded. All the very best, nice chatting with you!!

2 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know if the upgrade path applies to non-original owners? I am looking at a set of V2s but like the idea of the upgrade to SE if they come with fresh warranty etc. hope this isn’t a silly question!

Nekky

Good day!! My V2’s were a demo model from my local Hifi shop and so I got them for cheaper than new. With that said HFM gave me a warranty as though they were new, plus 4 years later I took advantage of the 1000SE upgrade offer. It made more sense to get a brand new headphone and warranty than worry about what I’d do if something happened to my V2’s. Only thing was I couldn’t audition the SE’s first because there were none in my area to audition.
After burn in I realized there was NO need to worry. If you love the sound of your V2’s you’ll love the sound of the SE’s too, they are everything the V2’s are and MORE…
Hope this helps!

Nekky

Sorry now that I read your post in a more vigilant manner I can see you don’t have the V2 OR SE, but I would still recommend the SE if you have the choice.
To be more precise regarding your question HFM did not ask for an original bill of sale when I upgraded my V2’s, so I’m pretty sure they don’t care if you’re the original owner or not.

1 Like

Update: bought V2s; may upgrade to SE…

I like them and will write a more detailed post shortly, including why I feel the need to upgrade and how they compare to a couple other cans.

1 Like

So, I’ve actually decided to hold off upgrading for the time being. The HEKv2 are fantastic and are a match made in heaven on my Luxman P-700u.

3 Likes

The HEKv2 are absolutely wonderful. Other “Keepers” have come and gone but the HEK remains…
I work mine from a Violectric V550 sourcing roon via Spring3 KTE. :ok_hand:

1 Like

I am really hoping that the pads that @NtraXMod is working on can give me back a bit of that bass in the SE that I miss about the V2 without destroying the rest of the FR. Pad rolling is the one thing I’ve been wanting to do with hifiman egg cans forever but there has just never been an option.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s never an option to pads roll until now. Hopefully I can make more to test out. I’m eager to get them and measure them as well.

I thought I was the only idiot who bought an expensive headphone without auditioning. My reference were the HE400 then the Sundara (satisfied with both but wanted more) and finally took the plunge with Susvara.

No way!! I’m exactly that kind of idiot, but luckily for me I was quite familiar with the “HFM” sound and the gamble turned out to be well worth it. HE400/Sundara/Susvara, now DATS an impressive upwards progression, whoooo hoooo!!

Now the question of do you have the source gear to make them worth them price. They take HE-6 levels of power.

1 Like

I really love the Hifiman headphones, have owned the 4xx, Sundara, Arya, HE6 v2, and HE1000 v2…

Havent tried an HE1000 SE or Susvara. How do they compare to the HE1000 V2 and HE6 V2? Cant afford them right now, but wondering if those are worth an upgrade or if HE1000 V2 and HE6 V2 are good enough as end game?

Since this is active again… I noticed that people sell the HEKv1 for quite a bit cheaper than the V2, is there an upgrade in sound or just the build?