🔶 Hifiman HE400se

Holy frick… If there’s anyone in the UK/EU region help me out on this… I literally can’t find any TRS dual 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable on Amazon UK and eBay UK, and any option related to Hifiman replacement cables are from abroad and $80+…

Is it just temporarily like this or always like this?
If anyone could provide a UK/EU friendly option I’d greatly appreciate it.

try searching newfantasia on amazon. not sure if amazon uk has them but they’re plastered everywhere on amazon us so its worth a shot.

Get the gold planar gl2000 cable on amazon UK. Click on gl2000 and then you can select the cable, £89

1 Like

That’s over my budget, but at least that’s the only option available on Amazon UK

On the other hand, @Pokrog 's suggestion kinda works around, I could find Newfantasia affordable cables on Amazon US with no additional shipping cost (still no Newfantasia for Amazon UK).

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I own both. The 560s is a solid headphone. Plenty of detail, and the frequency response is about as flat as it gets.

But as @Pokrog said, the 560s are a bit dull compared to even the stock HE-400se. I have not done the grill mod to my 400se, yet they’re still far more engaging and musical than the 560s. They don’t overemphasize a part of the frequency curve like Meze 99 Classics (bloomy bass) or some Beyerdynamics (excessive treble). They’re pretty neutral, maybe a touch bass-light. But I also use balanced cables with mine, which adds more power and detail and a touch more slam.

I would be stoked with my HD560s if I never heard the HE-400se. But I have, and there was no putting that genie back in the bottle. Once I heard the HE-400se, I realized I have found the entry-level audiophile can for which I’ve searched for about the last three years. They’re TERRIFIC, especially for $150.

1 Like

Both are among the most comfortable headphones I own, and I have slightly larger than average ears and a BIG head.

Still, the HE-400se take the comfort crown for me between the two. I barely even notice they’re on since the headband broke in. The HD560s have pretty roomy cups, but the clamping force is definitely higher than the HE-400se.

1 Like

I’ve seen $149 on HiFiMan’s site and Amazon. I went with Amazon because I’m Prime, so quick shipping and easy, no-questions returns.

Also recommend headphones.com. They’re $150 there, and headphones.com has a 365-day return policy. Nice to have with HiFiMan’s spotty quality record. Still, I’ve had zero problems with my HE-400se.

2 Likes

You get what you pay for, Teddy.

I had NewFantasia balanced cables for $50 for my HE-400se, and they shorted out after ONE DAY. I bought balanced cables as a replacement from Audiophile Ninja for $65, and they’re FANTASTIC in build and sound quality.

Not sure what the shipping prices are to the UK/EU, but Audiophile Ninja makes superb cables at fair prices.

1 Like

Had the same problem when I was looking for a balanced cable for my he400i. Difference being I’m in France.
I ended up getting a cable for 20€ on AliExpress.

Search for a sundara cable can help having results, too.

2 Likes

This is a life changer, switched search to “sundara replacement cable” and there’s a few balanced and one unbalanced cable on Amazon UK. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, all.
So, what’s the difference between the International and Chinese versions?
Anybody seen these ‘stealth magnets’? Is there any difference in sound?
Or it’s just a 50$ sticker? :exploding_head:

They’re visually different and compared to the older 400 models I can totally understand what they mean by acoustically transparent. They’re also drastically harder to drive and the stated specs for the stealth are identical to the Chinese version specs that were released months before the stealth version and they were obviously too lazy to remeasure the stealth drivers. I measured mine at 56 ohm and on top of that I think the sensitivity is quite a bit lower than the advertised 91db/mw. I really doubt there’s a phone out there that can power them without making them bass light and bright despite their claims of being easy to drive.

1 Like

I dunno, every picture I saw, they look identical.
Thing is - one guy is selling one, claiming it’s international, with stealth magnets. How can I know for sure? Generally, I don’t mind paying full price, but when there’s some sweet deal, you can’t walk past, right?

if you click that post and then look at the video in the post right before it you can see the visual differences. the stealth has like glue all along 2 edges of the magnet array and you can tell by the shape of the magnets being slightly rounded instead of squared off.

2 Likes

Oh, inside😅 , sorry I was thinking about visual differences on the outside.
Do you own the pair? Is it possible to see without tearing them up?

On the outside they’re identical. I own the international version.
Also the grills pop right off if you need to see the insides. Takes literally 3 seconds to remove them.

palipads is the pads for sundara 2020 and susvara, the he400se comes with velour hybrid material

Just saw this latest review:

But this is what interests me:
“Since publishing this review, HiFiMan have contacted me to inform me that the HE400SE is now shipping with the HE4XX cable so you can ignore my cable concerns in this review as the Sundara cable is much better!”

I also noticed that the 400se is just newly available on Amazon UK saying that it’ll be “In stock on August 22, 2021”. It very well might be the new batch with upgraded cables, fingers crossed.

Hope any new buyers can confirm this!

1 Like

using a meze ts balanced cable . cable is really good for $50

1 Like

I wrote an email to a local UK provider about whether the cables are updated with their existing stock, and this is the response from their sales manager:

Many thanks for your email - these are the cables as they come with the 400:

Keyword: “cables”

I don’t have any Hifiman experience yet, and the 2nd attached photo is still in the plastic bag. But can anyone confirm that the 2nd cable is the same as the cable from the 4XX?