HIFIMAN HE4XX Appreciation Post

Well imo both the t50rp and 4xx benefit from more power. I think if you have a 789 on order, you might as well take full use of the balanced for the headphones that can go balanced. There are relatively cheap cables for the 4xx balanced as well because it’s 3.5 mm mono jacks

3 Likes

These brainwavz pads are so awesome, highly recommended
only $20

if you’re game to support a small company, Hart Audio Cables is a custom cable maker and member of our forums here.

https://hartaudiocables.com/

once I have a DAC n Amp setup, I will be ordering cables from them rather than similarly priced options out of China on Amazon :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I left mine playing over night and while I’m at work today. I’ll check them out when I get home. I think the first song was just not a good song for there sound signature.

I still find it weird the kph30 sounded better holistically on seven nation army. The bass was way more pronounced and equal overall. Where the HE4XX were really lacking bass… I’m not a bass King to of person, I like a fairly balanced, clean sound. I feel like with equalization the HE4XX will be fantastic.

They are comfortable out the box with some adjustment around my ears.

One end of the cable seems noticable longer than the other side. I will likely ordered a nicer cable to replace it. I don’t think I’ll be using them portably… And if I do the factory cable is fine, it’s slightly short for my needs with amp being at the rear of my desk.

Overall I don’t regret the purchase, just a quick listen before work this am and they already sounded better than yesterday. I noticed that with the grado it took about 20 minutes before I thought they started to sound good. It might have been my ears, but it seemed to be a big jump from hot trash to good.

The issue is that they only offer 2.5mm dual mono, mine have dual 3.5mm.

1 Like

There is this on amazon, https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B07HGP87F6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=balanced+headphone+cable+3.5mm&qid=1571771934&sr=8-3

And of course there are other custom cable makers too

And if you ask @brux for some 3.5mm monos he might be able to help you out

Yeah, I think I’d rather support a community member as long as the price isn’t astronomical. Iol

But I am a bit addicted to Amazon :thinking:

@brux can make the dual 3.5mm, just go about the custom cable order. He is working on bringing dual 3.5mm to the store, so they are coming.

1 Like

why do you want to run them balanced?

send them an email, it’s a custom shop, so they will do custom cables. :slight_smile:

1 Like

the better question, adam, is why not?

1 Like

my desires :heart_eyes:
my wallet :hot_face: :cold_sweat:

1 Like

LOL! well, going balanced is almost the only time a cable actually gives you an audible benefit, amp willing of course.

Not having the hardware. No balanced amp? No running balanced.

isn’t it only really worth it if you’re doing long runs? like it you were 15 feet from your source

no. however, balanced cables have enough power to go distance while SE does not.

So typically it’s a stronger signal with more voltage and common mode rejection for interconnects. For headphones, if you have a balanced amp, I would suggest using balanced because more care most likely went into the balanced portion on the amp rather then the single ended portion

I can confirm this. I bought one for my pair of Anandas

1 Like

I also experienced a burn in period on my pair before they became satisfactory. Also if you have a need for more bass try swapping pads. I pad rolled to ZMF Ori perforated lambskin and added 5mm of foam underneath the edges of the inside of the pad to elevate further away from he driver and it added a nice amount of bass over stock. Also changed the sound signature for the better if you ask me.