šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE4XX

Yeah any kind of rock is amazing on the 4xx to me. Mainly that treble and soundstage mmmm. Yeah they are great together. I would say that I use the teaks more sub and midbass, and a little more sparkle to the highs, at least I feel. Not nearly as good of soundstage obviously. But I feel I can pin point better with the teaks and that instruments, especially drums seem to resonate a little more. Iā€™m not great with all the technical terms :flushed:

But main reason that I use the teaks more is that I feel they can adapt to genres more. 4xx are my rock and live headphones mostly.

Lol you and me bothā€¦ Iā€™m very interested in the headphones with that driver

They are great for sure. I was convinced by many that the teaks were the way to go and I havenā€™t been disappointed. The connectors are kinda garbage though. I wanted the removable cables so I could run them balanced and they are great balanced, but in hindsight I think I would have gotten the permanent cables and attempted to mod them or had them modded by Lawton as their connectors seem better. I may still try to instal different connectors when/if these connectors fail.

Iā€™m pretty careful with my stuff but Iā€™ll keep that in mind moving forward

And @M0N Iā€™m noticing another benefit with the xd05 being the soundstageā€¦ on yosi horikawa tracks Iā€™m hearing the music behind me (if thatā€™s even possible) coming from 30 to 40 degrees behind my headā€¦ so Iā€™m thinking itā€™s the amp or maybe I just didnā€™t notice before but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case

1 Like

Definitely. I am too but I read a lot about the connectors being loose. And mine are fairly loose but not too bad. But itā€™s also that the only aftermarket cables I can find that work are hd700 and they stick out so far that they almost kinda rub on your shoulders.

Can you not do the Lawton mod with the removable cable version?

Damn that sucks, donā€™t let the connectors on ur headphone make u buy ones with an attached cable. Just got unlucky. My pair has completely perfect connectors, not loose at all (not trying to rub it in lol, just mean that if u get lucky they are worth it with already removable cables)

On the emu teaks not the 4xx :wink:

1 Like

Yeah the 4xx works fine. And even though my 4xx has the 2.5, which arenā€™t as good as the new 3.5, Iā€™m kinda glad because my xlr cable works for my teaks and my 4xx. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah I can do the Lawton mod but I meant the removable cable mod that he offers, not the other mods. I literally asked if he could still do the removable cable mod and he said he wouldnā€™t want to attempt, which is funny because the connector can be taken off pretty easily from what I could see when I took one side apart. But oh well I will probably just do it myself one day. And hope in a way that doesnā€™t stick out so bad as the solution that emu did.

Yes this is what I was speaking toā€¦ thatā€™s a shameā€¦ hopefully it doesnā€™t fail :man_shrugging:

Yeah I can tell that literally all e-mu did was jam the connectors into the cable hole so itā€™s not like itā€™d be very different than modding the ones woth the cable. Yeah if so than I will figure it out. I can be handy when I want to :+1:

1 Like

Re-Review

So this is a quick redo on a headphone that I judged too quickly. The thing is, when i first had them they were great already but i wasnā€™t used to the timbre sounding (in comparison to the 58x) a bit off (vocals). But the real kicker was how sibilant they were, i remember that there were piercing sibilant moments in genres that were actually laid back like some deep voice rap dude. So imagine how bad it was on my kpop, it just wasnā€™t fitting anywhere in my collection (except piano and classical music which i just donā€™t listen to as much these days. However, after a while the shouty sibilance dissapeared from those tracks and most recently almost fully dissapeared even from my kpop which is the most aggressively piercing bright music i own. These headphones are very dynamic (surprisingly laid back at times too), it has an incredibly fun sound signature that i would recommend for any pop, kpop, rock etc. It does it all well, particularly excels for pop and classical music, electronic music. I can HIGHLY recommend this headphone for people that listen to that type of music or just want a very open sounding headphone with great big soundstage to wow you. I also own the senheiser 58x which can be a little claustrophobic at times and even though the sound signature is considerably more relaxing than the 4xx sometimes to kick back and relax itā€™s more relaxing to use the 4xx because of the bigger sounstage and less aggressive presentation (58x are very upfront when talking to you while the 4xx has layers layed in back, sides and generally give you your personal space). These are very bright sounding, pretty good fast bass etc.Personally i basically listen to two genres, pop and indie calming music. The 58x cover the indie artists very well and the 4xx cover my (k)pop extremely well

4 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ve got a chance to listen to the 4XX for a few days using the monoprice desktop headphone amp with the JDS Labs ODAC. For context, the only other decent headphones I have are the HD599 and Sony WH-1000XM3.

Sound:

Compared to the 599, they 4XX sounds very full and never in my face. I feel like the separation and placement is much better and can be a lot more interesting on some tracks compared to the 599. I think the dynamics(?) sound better too. Maybe what Iā€™m hearing is the ā€œspeedā€ and ā€œresponsivenessā€ that planars can have(?) Also, a lot of my impressions could be placebo I suppose.

On the other hand, sometimes snares are harsh and S, T, and CH sounds can be hard to listen to or even ruin a track. I think this would qualify as sibilant and I canā€™t remember ever hearing this on the 599. Maybe there is some issue with the source or amplification or I will get used to it as I listen more, but I think I will probably have to EQ to fix it.

Note: For context, 80% of my music library is EDM/trap/house/chillstep with some lofi/ambient.

Build/Aesthetics/Comfort:

First off, I think these look amazing with the all black finish and large circular matte cups. I really like the plushness of the pads and greatly prefer the material over the stock 599 pads. They are heavier and clamp much more which I donā€™t necessarily mind but, coupled with the somewhat small openings, they can irritate my outer ear. Not sure if this will become an issue or if my ears will adjust soon.

Iā€™m new to this hobby and donā€™t have much to compare to, so let me know if my impressions echo your own or if you think I am way off!

3 Likes

You can use cotton pads to soften the sibilant peaks while being fairly transparent to bass, it covers the mids a bit too much for me but everyoneā€™s ears are different. Give it a go and see if you like it.

1 Like

Either this or itā€™s still burning in a bit is what I was thinking, the sharper sound will go away with more use imo

2 Likes

So I finally got mine after almost 7 weeks.

Here in my old big head. So far I can say they are quite comfortableā€¦ Trying them with my sp200 and my fiio M9ā€¦

1 Like

Curious to see your thoughts on them :+1:

1 Like

First impressions were a bit underwhelming, giving them time burning inside a drawer, they are so loud, using my Meze original balanced cable. Quite power hungry, sp200 high gain 11 oā€™clock or so. With my Fiio M9 105 volumen (out of 120) with the forementioned Meze cable. Will post more impressions in a couple daysā€¦