šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE4XX

Didnā€™t even consider this lol :crossed_fingers:

Yeah Iā€™m curious to see what you think of the 4xx with plenty of juice on tap

@anon54878099 would you agree the 4xx bass got better with an amp?

2 Likes

when it comes to frequencies, the bass i would say gains the most improvment. It is a fast pump, never overpowering and has a nice little pop to it but at the end of the day it is a pretty bright headphone. I believe @donjklassen is waiting for a 58x to arrive, and if he is particularly looking for bass i would say thatā€™s the one to look forward to for bass. But many people have different opinions on these lol, rice is out there looking for a real bass cannon and has both so itā€™s hard to say

1 Like

The 4XX blasts very loud with a FIIO X3, takes only a bit from my Rag 1 to do total ear damageā€¦

Bass is hitting harder with the xduoo :ok_hand: bass boost was too much (though I look forward to using it with the dt770s and get stupid bass lol I love stupid bass sometimes)

2 Likes

Do you think it improved overall? And bass is all good now? Now that it can get more burn in time on the driver it should sound a fair bit better

1 Like

Still getting acquainted but yes it sounds much improved overall and the bass was evident immediatelyā€¦ great little amp dac

2 Likes

Yeah a real portable powerhouse without getting to the size of the ifi micro bl

1 Like

out of curiosity, in the sub 250 price range, what good headphone(s) would you guys consider to be the polar opposite of the 4xx?

1 Like

Polar oppositeā€¦ in what sense? Signature?

1 Like

Dark and narrow? Sennheiser 598c maybe.

1 Like

Hated those headphones lol. My least favorite ever.

Darker but also bass light so midbass focused, also very intimate and slow sounding. Also a closed back because the 4xx sound so open

yesssssssssss! the amp is everything with them lol. brings them to life

1 Like

Iā€™m quite satisfied atm ā€¦ the 58xā€™s are here now too but Iā€™m too smitten with this combo to try them

1 Like

Hmmm lol, the real comparing begins (although make sure to spend a few days with both before pitting them head to head so you can get used to the signatures)

1 Like

If I learned anything from the 4xx itā€™s just that lol be patient and spend the time needed

2 Likes

same exact lesson i learned, after days of using these they are seriously like a different set of headphones. i didnā€™t think it would be possible to have such a drastic difference in headphones by just playing them and waiting

1 Like

I agree that these can be underwhelming at first. I also seem to always forget how much I appreciate these. I will pull them out and be like, meh, but then another time I will get them out and be like, ā€œwhere have you been all my life?!ā€ Ha. I noticed for sure that I like them the most on rock, but also depending on the type of rock. I was listening to them the other day to some Alice and chains and itā€™s amazing. Could also be because I use my teaks all the time now and the difference just reminds me how awesome these still are. But even though they are slightly lighter than my teaks, something about the way they sit makes them feel heavier for some reason.

2 Likes

@AECH Listening to late 60s rock on these has been greatā€¦ pretty well recorded back then imo and the 4xx takes advantage of the soundstage and instrument separation wellā€¦ loving those qualities in the 4xxā€¦

The teaks use that fostex driver right? Must be a good companion headphone to these (I assume theyā€™re pretty different)

1 Like