šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE5SE

Ah, I had listened to the wood cup version and I saw it had switched to shiny plastic and I didnā€™t know they changed sonically, good to know. I guess I wonā€™t be recommending them if the one being currently sold have dropped the ball then. I guess itā€™s kinda like what they did with the he560 adorama camera editions

Also Iā€™ve heard the he6se off of a rag 1 and it was alright. I like to keep mine on a more powerful speaker amp. I really donā€™t mind the x00 for well recorded music that much either.

I use a Ragnarok - lots of power, more than enough for a HE6SE. Look up the frequency charts of the 5SE, the bass starts to drop at 70 Hz, is quite weak by 55, and but a memory at the low 40ā€™s. One poster said its bass is better than the Sundara. The Sundara is still cranking at 25 Hz. I find its common that listeners find a heavily modulated passage of loud drums and bass and think this is bass or even sub bass when in fact its often mid bass in the 60 - 150 Hz area.

One nice thing about the 5SE bass is that its quick, something nearing the HD-600. But the density of sustained notes isnā€™t very good, and it certainly is very lacking in the bottom two octaves.

1 Like

Have you tried you 6se on different amps? It gets better as you go up :+1:

Edit: also looking at more past he5se reviews it seems like some had a similar experience as I did, but current feedback is pretty different. I guess hifiman put out a silent revision

Well that seems unfortunate. So the one out right now isnā€™t nearly as good as the original release. Interesting to note.

If thatā€™s the case what other options are out there for a solid step up for the 4XX now?

Yeah, itā€™s pretty disappointing because I really liked the one I heard, I wonder if there was a way to tell where they changed them (apparently for the worse)

The he560v1 is still pretty good. The sundara also exists as well which is very good for the price (and donā€™t take the power that the 560 does)

So they arenā€™t as amp/power dependent as the 5SE then? Neato

The sundara no. The 560 is though. The 560v1 is more my favorite but the sundara is very good as well

oof
Is the Asgard still a safe bet for the 560v1?

Imo yeah, should be just fine.

Is the Amazon listing for the 560 the v1? Or will I have to purchase that one used?

I wouldnā€™t suggest getting a pair from Amazon, and instead look elsewhere online for them. You want the one with wood on the cups essentially. I wouldnā€™t pay more than 400 USD for them, and it should be under that. I think if you look on eBay you will find some new

Sure the 6SE is better on a Pass X150.8, but I sold my 3400 sq ft monster home with the 28 x 18 x 12 treated room.

Canā€™t understand the X00. Sloppy bass, very reticent mids, unfocused grainy treble with overall very poor imaging. Turn them up and whatever imaging/soundstage they have falls apart. Tried the black one which was marginally better, but none of these touches the 900, which I believe is the goal. I went XLR, tried approved padsā€¦ nope, not good for me.

I really like the 900mk2 and got lawton purpleheart cups on them and they are pretty fun

Yeah 900ā€™s are pretty fine.

Itā€™s just that for most people a x00 ebony, th610, or denon is closer to getting there for a better price. The mahogany are fun and I didnā€™t have a major gripe with them

Not to intrude too much on this convo, but what are the main differences in sound between the he560 v1 and the Sundara?

The sundara has a more airy and refined signature imo thatā€™s more neutral bright and a bit intimate but still spacious with good imaging. The 560v1 has more of a v shape with more impact, soundstage, and layering. I also think itā€™s more detailed with the right amp

How different is the impact of the bass between the Sundara and the 560v1?

The 560v1 is better quality, better extended, and just more enjoyable to my ears. It just hits harder than the sundara. But the sundaraā€™s treble is more refined imo

Sundara was designed more recently, but for a lower price point (I think as possible 400i replacements) but the 400i refuses to die!

The 560 v1 is the best of the 560 IMO. But Iā€™ve always liked the 500 better (esp with mods).

I think the 560 v1 and Ananda somewhat resemble each other - except the Ananda doesnā€™t move air in the bass quite as well.