šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE5SE

The 500 is better imo but itā€™s harder to recommend as the build and comfort isnā€™t as good imo and also they like more power than the 560v1

Iā€™d wrap barbed wire around my head for better sonics. I have the 4xx headband on mine. No problems.

Build? itā€™s a lot closer build wise to the HE-6 six screw including two sided magnets - only the gold vs aluminum traces is different.

Power was an issue in 2011. If you cut out all portable/DAPā€™s (a 500 on a train? No) how many donā€™t have 2 wpc out of the desktop now?

People go beserk getting 25, 50, 100, 200 wpc for the HE-6, the HE-500 isnā€™t near that, but, sonically its in the building.

But I agree, if you donā€™t have 1.5 wpc or more of SS power, the HE-500 isnā€™t your best bet.

Right now I am at like 55wpc at 50ohms out of my current power amp for the 6se lol. Yeah I think to maximize the 500 and 560 like 3wpc at 50 ohms is plenty

You beast !

There is something to be said for an embarrassment of riches.

Hey it works and sounds excellent. The more power the better with hifiman lol

I have to admit that I still have not found a replacement for my HE-560v1.
With the new HiFiMen I get hearing fatigue extremely fast (they also rattle like an old diesel) and I just miss the mids and the good bass. I have to say that I wear them every evening to relax in front of the PC. Even the LCD-X are simply not smooth enough in the heights and too heavyā€¦ The dynamics and speed of the 560 with a really good Violectric is also somehow better.
But now I am kind of doubt if they will last any longer ā€¦they are not the youngest anymore. Occasionally, my left driver cracks, much louder than LCDs if you press them to the head. I have now bent the internall cable away from the driver and it does not seem to happen anymore but Iā€™m a little unsure. I realy want to buy Yaxi TH900 Alcantara Earpads (does anyone have any experience with them on HiFiMen?) and a softer cable.
What do you guys think the old HE-560v1 drivers still hold?

1 Like

I really like the he560v1 for sure, I still have it around even though I own higher tier hifiman. A good amp goes a long way with them too. Comfort is pretty great imo. My original headband snapped but hifiman sent out a reinforced one no problem anymore.

I havenā€™t felt the need to change the pads, but I have tried lawton th900 pads on there, and while good, I personally still preferred the stock pads. Something fun was mrspeakers alpha pads, as they make them pretty fun imo

Here are the pads I liked besides the stock pads

Also yeah that seems to be the driver hitting that wire. I donā€™t think they will die that soon, and I do think you could still buy another pair for a good price if they die

1 Like

The sound should stay the same ā€¦ but a little more comfort would be perfect. My old ones are just too flat by now. Unfortunately, Dekoni is ridiculously expensive in Germany. I will probably have to try the Yaxi.
Do you happen to have any upgrade suggestions for my taste?

Hmmmm. Pad wise or are you looking for a different headphone? Yeah trying the yaxi might be a good thing to try. Or you could order new pads from hifiman if you want to keep the sound the same

1 Like

Well both ā€¦the 560 deserve it and I will put back in perfect condition.
But slowly IĀ“ll have to look for a successor.

I mean hifiman doesnā€™t really put out a headphone like the 560v1 anymore, but I do think finding a he6 6 screw might be up your alley but you would want to use a speaker amp for that. The sundara is supposed to actually be the successor to the 560v1 but I donā€™t personally think it is. I do think that going towards the larger hifiman like a edition x v2 might be closer than some current offerings compared to what they are currently putting out

1 Like

Alright, thank you very much!
Still more pad ideas?
Iā€™ll stay with the 560s for the time being ā€¦ Actually, Iā€™m more of a speaker guy, but I canĀ“t do that when my flatmate sleeps like right now lol.

Perhaps the pali pads might be something to look into, as they will be closer to stock. Do you perhaps know what pad you have on there right now?

Lawton also makes some nice leather pads that do some good things that are less extreme than the mrspeakers pads

https://www.lawtonaudio.com/hifimananglepads.html

Also these would change the sound the least. I donā€™t know if you have the focuspad a or the regular focuspad on there

https://hifiman.com/products/detail/173

https://hifiman.com/products/detail/168

1 Like

These are the original pads, they look like FocusPad-A ?
I thought the Sundara Pads were thin and hard.
I definitely want to have velor on my skin and memory foam. Best, of course, the stock sound. I would also spend the money for dekoni, but canĀ“t send them back, I have to really be sureā€¦

So do you have the 560 with the screw in connectors? If so you may have the focuspad a. Every other one came with the regular focuspad though.

Personally if you want stock go with the hifiman pads as they will keep that sound, but I would check to see what focuspad you have first before buying

The focuspad a does not have any holes on the inside of the pad and is all velour. The focuspad has holes on the inside

Here is the focuspad A

Here is the focuspad

1 Like

its screw in but i have the holes -> normal Focuspadā€¦
I want to try the yaxi now, because the are velor insideā€¦ a lot of guy like the A.

Gotcha, so yeah you have the regular focuspads. I also have the regular focuspads. The focuspad a came on the very early 560, but like half way through even with the screw on still there they switched to the focuspad

1 Like

I donā€™t think the Sundara is a follow-on to the 560.

I like the focus-pad with the holes inside for the 560

I think the HEX v2 is too mellow for a fan of the 560. I think the Ananda is closer. I think the Arya is closer still. There are used ones (560 v1) around on the used market, some in great shape.

There might still be some HE6SEā€™s at a low price ($699), but youā€™ll need at least 6 wpc at 50 ohms to run them.

1 Like

Yeah the sundara was kind of a different turn. And Iā€™m not a fan of the new headband as the cups donā€™t swivel and it makes it less comfortable for me. I could agree that the arya is great, but I think the ananda is a bit more off vs the 560

1 Like

Do you know why the He-560 V3 is so bad?
HE-6 would be cool ā€¦ Maybe if IĀ“m done overhauling my vintage made in Japan Technics speakeramplifier ā€¦ but Iā€™ll probably need a long time seeking after the remaining parts. My Audionet unfortunately only has one output. I do not think that a cheap amplifier is enough for the HE-6.