Hifiman HE6SE For $700

Yeah, i have read that comment before. I want to try out that guy that posts here and get something in bright yellow or red…my desktop is REALLy filling up, now i need some custom wood stands or something, it’s time to start stacking.

1 Like

It’s a headphone I’ve had my eyes on for awhile. If for no other reason that its almost legendary for being incredibly hard to drive, but if you do its amazing. I am not a massive Hifiman fan as I’ve had bad luck with them in the past, so I was planning on the Arya at the $1600 price point if anything. But at $700 I have to see it in action

2 Likes

I personally would take the he6 over arya anyway. I really love the he6 when you power it right

2 Likes

I was completely going in a different direction for my next planar, I appreciate you posting that link, this headphone is a known quality piece, i like the challenge of figuring out what to power it with. Just something else to play with.

1 Like

Just curious, what sugden amp is that?

I came home with the FPA-4 and working Falcons, finally. I honestly don’t have the proper words to describe just how damned good this combination sounds. I am loving the whole set-up.

Nicee, how do you think the fpa-4 compares to your tube?

My next buy was going to be a Verite or Eikon from ZMF, but I doubt there will be anything close to this kind of savings on either for Black Friday. I want to have all the major headphones, at least for a little while, just to see what all the fuss was about. HD800 was also mentioned in that video for $1k new which is kind of rare to see. I want to get it even if I know it’s not for me because its so polarizing, but $800 used is too much for me to justify

1 Like

I would recommend getting the hd800s over the hd800 if you can

Funny, I’ve heard the exact opposite. I almost want to try the originals and add the mod myself if I decide to keep them, but not for $800+ for either. I love tube amps, so I think I would like them more than people using SS only, but still not sure they’d be up my alley

If you plan on modding them then it might be worth it, but imo the 800s is still the higher preforming headphone

I normally wouldn’t be the type to mod anything, but from what I understand its just a matter of adding a small foam damper to the 800 to do what the stock 800s does. The fact that so many people did it was why Sennheiser made the change

I’m way too lazy to do anything that would involve soldering

It’s close, but I don’t think it makes it equal to the stock s. It’s still worth it if you can find a good enough price though

If I ever see an 800 for $500-$600 I will bite. 800s I would maybe pay $800 for if it was in good shape. I like the look of the 820s, but that asking price is absurd for 99% plastic. At least the Stellias are metal and leather if I was looking to spend that much on a closed back

The 820 has a really inflated price for what it is imo

The FPA-4 can power them fully and I’m learning its limits, i can push my tube amp all the way and it doesn’t get as loud but it also doesn’t bottom them out like the Sugden. I’ve got about $800 in good NOS tubes coming in to see if i can play with the sound some more. Honestly the Sugden sounds very tube like, and i am extremely happy. I also have found that the Darkvoice does a damned fine job as a pre-amp. Its completely silent and the combination of tubes I have in it are really enjoyable. This is a deep dark hole w/no bottom in sight…

1 Like

Can agree with that one. I recently also just bought an electrostatic tube amp, and I might roll but I really want to suppress the urge lol

1 Like

I’m really excited for these HE6. I’ve wanted them for some time, but didn’t want to risk buying them used with no warranty. I think the video reviews are really funny. Josh Valour saying the need for power is an overstatement, then saying they are lacking when run off of his NFB-1 amp makes me laugh. Max Settings bought his loaner version and runs them off a Schitt Vidar, which seems like that may not be enough either. I can’t wait to throw the kitchen sink at these.

1 Like

Yeah, the more power and the higher quality the better. I think josh really didn’t get to hear what a proper he6 can do