🔶 Hifiman HE6SE

He runs out of stock occasionally.

1 Like

Getting the shears sharpened.

HE6SE came in today!

Got the grills off (the gentleman on eBay said he was waiting for materials and would let me know when he could make more, so that’s good) and now they’re on my head. They’re… beefy.

Good impressions so far, I’m glad to have planars back in my life, there’s always a punchiness to them. Although I hated this headband on the Edition XS and hate it here too.

I know they are vastly underpowered but my source chain will currently just have to do until I can get something beefier: Amazon HD → SMSL VMV D1se DAC → Singxer XA-1 → HE6SE.

They’re very musical, nothing bad or nitpicky stands out currently. Will spend the next several days burning these in and listening to get a better understanding.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Nice!

Yep, these do take a lil bit of an amp to work properly. I’ve come to the conclusion that even though the Vio v550 can work them and they’ll sound good - When put them on an amp that has got a little more backing it up (Ferrum OOR with the Hypsos PSU), the difference is immediate. Just a fuller sound across the spectrum, quicker and more impactful bass, mids come forward a touch, and the treble extends and smooths but is not loosing detail.

My point to this is - you got the right idea enjoy them now, and when you do get a different amp that is better suited to drive them it will be like getting a new set of headphones too.

3 Likes

If anyone is on the lookout for the hex grill mod, I got a message today that he has more back in stock:

HIFIMAN Grills-Steel Honeycomb Mod-Set of (2)-Black /Red/Gold/Silver | eBay

1 Like

Nice, didnt know he had different colors… red, gold and silver?

I see that too but I just bought a pair and I wasn’t able to choose any options lol - I’m assuming it’s black unless you request otherwise. :man_shrugging:

I have black on mine… Cool thing about the HE6v2 once you open it up, the driver itself is gold which looks pretty sharp

It is in the description
" >>BLACK IS STANDARD COLOR. IF YOU WANT RED,GOLD,SILVER,COPPER ,let me know by message."

Thanks! Got a pair ordered in silver for myself…assuming Adorama ever releases the manual hold on my HE6SE order. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Had a couple new additions come in today: some Dekoni Nuggets to improve the fit/padding on top, and some Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. First of all, the headphone fits way more comfortably now, which is nice. The pads improve the bass just a hair - still need to pull the trigger on better amplification to really bring that out.

However, after listening to this headphone for the past several days, I think the mids are what everyone is sleeping on. Yes, they are transparent and the detail and clarity is really impressive, but I am getting some really amazing mids out of this headphone.

Once my hex grills get here, and when I go crazy with some bonus money on a new amp / power supply, this is definitely endgame territory.

1 Like

Congrats! Yeah I really like the he6v2. I run it mainly balanced on a Burson Soloist which works well.

1 Like

I am tempted to order a set in gold or copper for my he4xx… Or I might move my black ones to the he4xx and replace with gold on my he6v2

1 Like

He6v2 gold driver w the hex grille:

3 Likes

Those look good. I have the black ones too but have not put them on yet.

If anyone is looking for alternate pads to try, I can confirm the oversized Aliexpress pads that @Pokrog recommended are a good option—especially considering they’re only $25 including the cost of new pad rings. They’re very comfortable, the bass gets a bit more oomph, and the upper mids are smoother. The main downside is how they end up looking a bit comical.

(Size 115 mm) Universal 70-120mm Replacement So Soft Foam Ear Pads Cushions For Sony For Akg For Beyerdynamic Headphones - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress

4 Likes

Could be worse:

:rofl:

6 Likes

@marcgii I think its hilarious how they actually curl around the cups a little lol. When I found them, it was because I bought a pack on a deal of like all the sizes to test for different headphones and those were the biggest ones I could get to fit the pad ring lol

1 Like

I like your headband protector Which is it?