šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

not really, but iā€™m more scared of setting something with metal dust or shavings near it cause i know theyā€™ll get sucked in. theyā€™ll hit magnet first and almost certainly do no harm, but it still scares me lol. i mean, iā€™ve had 4 die and i took insanely good care of them while they were working so iā€™m just trying to stretch the life of the 2 i have left out.

2 Likes

I am, yes.

This

2 Likes

I never worried about that, i am planning on purchasing those Stax plastic covers though, but because of aesthetics alone, my sets are gathering too much dust.

Are there any reports of dust damaging planar drivers? Maybe i should be worrying as well, lol

I really donā€™t think dust can hurt them hurt them, but itā€™s probably good practice to keep them clean. As far as I know, unless itā€™s conductive (which dust can be sometimes) it shouldnā€™t hurt and ferrous metals should just stick to the outer magnets before ever getting close enough to touch the diaphragm, but thereā€™s always that chance.

1 Like

I just slip them in an old super smooth bag I got from drop.com with a replacement that died. Seems to be a pretty dust free bag and the fibers are super tight so itā€™s my go to.

Or you can just glue some panty hose to the back of the grills and not worry about it.

5 Likes

Just be careful not to get your panties in a wad.

Just tried the ā€˜tubeā€™ between the pads / driver mod and yeahā€¦definitely increased the bass slam. Iā€™m driving these off a Jot 2 & Bifrost 2 and while on Low gain, they sound pretty amazing, but I need the volume pot around 2-3 oā€™clock for most music.

I ran them only on the Jot 2 high-gain for a few weeks and didnā€™t even try low gain. I found them to get harsh after a while though and fatiguing. Once switching to low gain, that went away! Iā€™m using the arctic grills, but no other mods just yet.

I did order the pads you suggested @Pokrog and am excited to try them out when they get here.

I still think I prefer my V2 Arya for every day listening over these, but do wonder what these will be like after the new pads and eventually want to try them with a speaker amp!

1 Like

info on amplifier : i tried a aliexpress weiliang audio deluxe 933 power amplifier. $230bucks plus shipping about $100 for a ups express saver international. id say this amp sounds great , full sound , bass is present , soundstage is nice and wide , details are there . i paired it with soncoz sgd1.

The Jot 2 is for sure the bottleneck there, i bet it already sounds awesome but you need to listen to these cans with the proper amp, they are incredible!

2 Likes

Got a pair of the v2 on the way, just couldnā€™t resist. I am now saving for a Ragnarok to drive them.

Does anyone have any updated links to the hex grill mod for them? It seems this eBay user everyone got theirs from no longer exists or is no longer selling them.

1 Like

sometimes he takes breaks he currently doesnā€™t have any listed

can send him a message and ask

2 Likes

He runs out of stock occasionally.

1 Like

Getting the shears sharpened.

HE6SE came in today!

Got the grills off (the gentleman on eBay said he was waiting for materials and would let me know when he could make more, so thatā€™s good) and now theyā€™re on my head. Theyā€™reā€¦ beefy.

Good impressions so far, Iā€™m glad to have planars back in my life, thereā€™s always a punchiness to them. Although I hated this headband on the Edition XS and hate it here too.

I know they are vastly underpowered but my source chain will currently just have to do until I can get something beefier: Amazon HD ā†’ SMSL VMV D1se DAC ā†’ Singxer XA-1 ā†’ HE6SE.

Theyā€™re very musical, nothing bad or nitpicky stands out currently. Will spend the next several days burning these in and listening to get a better understanding.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Nice!

Yep, these do take a lil bit of an amp to work properly. Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that even though the Vio v550 can work them and theyā€™ll sound good - When put them on an amp that has got a little more backing it up (Ferrum OOR with the Hypsos PSU), the difference is immediate. Just a fuller sound across the spectrum, quicker and more impactful bass, mids come forward a touch, and the treble extends and smooths but is not loosing detail.

My point to this is - you got the right idea enjoy them now, and when you do get a different amp that is better suited to drive them it will be like getting a new set of headphones too.

3 Likes

If anyone is on the lookout for the hex grill mod, I got a message today that he has more back in stock:

HIFIMAN Grills-Steel Honeycomb Mod-Set of (2)-Black /Red/Gold/Silver | eBay

1 Like

Nice, didnt know he had different colorsā€¦ red, gold and silver?

I see that too but I just bought a pair and I wasnā€™t able to choose any options lol - Iā€™m assuming itā€™s black unless you request otherwise. :man_shrugging:

I have black on mineā€¦ Cool thing about the HE6v2 once you open it up, the driver itself is gold which looks pretty sharp