🔶 Hifiman HE6SE

It is in the description
" >>BLACK IS STANDARD COLOR. IF YOU WANT RED,GOLD,SILVER,COPPER ,let me know by message."

Thanks! Got a pair ordered in silver for myself…assuming Adorama ever releases the manual hold on my HE6SE order. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Had a couple new additions come in today: some Dekoni Nuggets to improve the fit/padding on top, and some Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. First of all, the headphone fits way more comfortably now, which is nice. The pads improve the bass just a hair - still need to pull the trigger on better amplification to really bring that out.

However, after listening to this headphone for the past several days, I think the mids are what everyone is sleeping on. Yes, they are transparent and the detail and clarity is really impressive, but I am getting some really amazing mids out of this headphone.

Once my hex grills get here, and when I go crazy with some bonus money on a new amp / power supply, this is definitely endgame territory.

1 Like

Congrats! Yeah I really like the he6v2. I run it mainly balanced on a Burson Soloist which works well.

1 Like

I am tempted to order a set in gold or copper for my he4xx… Or I might move my black ones to the he4xx and replace with gold on my he6v2

1 Like

He6v2 gold driver w the hex grille:

3 Likes

Those look good. I have the black ones too but have not put them on yet.

If anyone is looking for alternate pads to try, I can confirm the oversized Aliexpress pads that @Pokrog recommended are a good option—especially considering they’re only $25 including the cost of new pad rings. They’re very comfortable, the bass gets a bit more oomph, and the upper mids are smoother. The main downside is how they end up looking a bit comical.

(Size 115 mm) Universal 70-120mm Replacement So Soft Foam Ear Pads Cushions For Sony For Akg For Beyerdynamic Headphones - Earphone Accessories - AliExpress

4 Likes

Could be worse:

:rofl:

6 Likes

@marcgii I think its hilarious how they actually curl around the cups a little lol. When I found them, it was because I bought a pack on a deal of like all the sizes to test for different headphones and those were the biggest ones I could get to fit the pad ring lol

1 Like

I like your headband protector Which is it?

I’ve already got an Avantone CLA200, 200wpc @ 8ohms driving Tannoy XT8F towers. I imagine its got plenty of clean power as it sounds great on my Tannoys. Big toroidal transformer in it, old school class AB amp.

These HE6SE V2 are $600 on Amazon right now. Would they be a better choice than Edition XS for $500 or Ananda for $700? I’ve never heard a planar magnetic headphone. All I’ve got are HD599SE, SR850s & P7s.

I tried like 30 speaker amps before @M0N saved me and they all either sucked in general or were no better than a decent headphone amp until I got a Parasound on M0Ns recommendation. Never tried the CLA200, but maybe M0N has some insight.

Seems like its not totally about the power, but about how fast it can deliver the power swings with the power reserves for maintaining current well at the same time.

3 Likes

Hmm I think if your first planar the HE6sev2 is too amp picky - really does need some quality power to run and sound its best - not just be loud enough.

I personally would start with the Editions XS as my first planar. I will mention my first planar was the Edition X V2 (HEXv2) and it was a game changer for me and got me hooked on big Hifiman planar sound… Worked well with most all genre, nice tone (warm) decent resolution. I have not heard the XS FWIW but I understand it to be a pretty decent all rounder and that is why I would recommend it for your first. But I’m just some dude on the internet so… ymmv

Edit: The CLA200 does 8ohms 200w and 4ohms 300w - Power wise it appears to have plenty - I have never heard it so not sure how it would sound. - I still think something like the XS might be a better entry point. Probably easier to sell too if not your thing.

The Avantone CLA200 is a chinese made amp, but it sounds amazing. Few hifi people have caught on because it’s a studio amp. Its dead quiet, & does dynamics without struggle. Also balanced XLR input & pass through. It’s even better when taken into account it’s just $800 or $900 new. Its a pro mixing amp designed using the ears of CLA, multi grammy winning mixer out of Tarzana, CA. I would take it over a Hafler P3100 all day thats 25% less power but $2k new. I doubt the Adcom has anything over it either. I dont remember the specific measurements but I recall its got a high slew rate & damping factor & very respectable THD.

3 Likes

I still think 105mm is the spot for all round Hifimans. These look a bit sloppy - but if they perform, then that’s not a problem. Could be that your findings are quite different than mine.

I have a 115mm Brainwavz sheepskin XL pair and GOD do I not know what to do with those dumb slops. And then the extra area and space increases driver distance, and too much of sound is absorbed into the pads themselves - also, bass is reduced significantly, and the brightness kicks up a few notches.

I think only an AKG 55X series pair of headphones can survive this big dumb size. Just sloppy joes, these things.

I guess it’s been said to death - but I would rather you pick up an XS (as low as $399 on AliExpress, without coupons - that could bring it down even lower) and be done with.

XS is my ENDGAME headphone. The Focal Elex is tying with it, but the XS - man. It’s still an improvement in some things.

You can grab perforated gen leather pads for another $20. Maybe get a nice $20 cable too. But really - this is a take home headphone.

Big ass planars - these Hifimans - have some physical characteristics that put them ahead of many other headphones. I’ve tried a dozen mid-fi cans over the last many years - I have the m1060, he400, he4xx - and the XS is still something else.

I would hence suggest getting one, and never looking back. Don’t think you’d need an upgrade unless you break that one… that too, shouldn’t happen if you’re careful. My 400i is 5 years old now - still going strong. So I think you really should be set with an XS. And nothing more ideal than having your first (and last) planar - it’s so easy with this headphone - was so hard many years ago, but you’re just lucky it exists, and at such a perfect price/performance, it’s a no brainer. The XS is my fourth planar - if someone came and stole my other three, yeah I’d be pissed, but I’d go on living as I’d still have my XS. Nuff said.

PS: sorry for shitting on the HE6SE thread y’all. No offense.

1 Like

Even though the pad fit is loose, the AliExpress pads actually stay in place pretty well once the rings are snapped in.
Usually switching to non perforated pads will result in more bass if nothing else. I wonder if you weren’t getting a good seal with the Brainwavz?

Well I tried fitting this on a hole lotta cans, and they always mess up the sound. Have to turn the volume up - and they’re not perforated, yet still fail with any cans that I slap them on. Just helpless. They’re kinda worse than those decade old thickass Sony MDR XB700 pads I owned and tried on a few, smaller, cans…

There’s $20 perforated and no perf 105mm pads I got for my Hifimans and one pair on my m1060c, with fantastic results. Stock pleather Hifiman is kinda decent, but still not as bad as the 115mm XLs.

1 Like

The XL micro suede gel gaming pads are the only brainwavz pads that work well with hifimans, the leathers are just weird from brainwavz for some reason. The suede gel pads give almost a haptic element to the HE6.