šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Yes - even the angled sheepskin and standard sheepskin are a kinda bad. Screwed up my HD6XX sound, made them sound lika a radio, I almost hated the 6XX for it. Now back with stock on them, they sound great again. I got some very nice <$10 stock like pair for those too.

Sometimes, stock pads are just the only right way.

And brainwavz no longer serve any of my cans - 3 to 4 pairs of drawer fodder.

Thanks, this little guy here from Amazon, nothing special but adds a little comfort and isnā€™t too bad looking: AmazonSmile: Geekria Knit Fabric Headband Pad Compatible with Sony WH1000XM4, WH1000XM3, WH1000XM2 Headphone Replacement Headband/Headband Cushion/Replacement Pad Repair Parts (Black) : Electronics

Okay, Iā€™m a believer now.

I have a Ragnarok 2 powering this now and yes, for sure there is a noticeable improvement in the bass and slam.

I can see how with even more power and finesse it could change and improve the sound signature, but the diminishing returns are real and Iā€™m just not at the point in my life where I can spend $3k, $5k, $10k or higher on the ā€œrightā€ amp for these. Very happy with the current sound though, itā€™s nice to hear what a ā€œproperlyā€ driven HE6se sounds like, Iā€™m quite surprised at how good they are.

2 Likes

When you find a match that works for you with these headphones, they are amazing.

1 Like

Didnā€™t let Adorama declining my order stop me from getting a pair.

Had already ordered the honeycomb grils, and it only took a couple of days with the stock headband before I ordered this:

Much more comfortable. It is not meant for smaller heads in itā€™s stock setup.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for the link on these!

Just be aware that you have to remove the drivers and pull the plastic inserts that the headband screws screw into. And when you reassemble them, there is only one orientation that will let the inner screws thread.

1 Like

I think @MrAyrit has a video going over how to do that, no?

I think you might be right.

Nice. I had planned to buy that exact grill since I thought might look a bit better the black ones. But it ended up selling out shortly before I tried making the purchase.

Is this what youā€™re looking for?

1 Like

I agree with the Amplify review, he6v2 under $700 is a really great dealā€¦ has punch, great resolution, mid range vocals and good soundstage. It is also quite comfortable to me, I like its look and it is relatively lightweight. At $500 which we saw recently its even better, an awesome choice

$499 on adorama:
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?bc_pid=SE1IRTZTRVYy&utm_source=bluecore&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=backinstock&emailprice=t&obem=pNYnVlFqyAFqY0gaZMxkRPYeI56g8J4KpJ8BbCz7rt8%3D&bc_lcid=t5798778601086976lw6235544764162048&utm_source=bluecorePreformatted text

3 Likes

Is this a step up from the Elex? Just curious since if it is only a sidegrade it does me no good.

Iā€™d say itā€™s more than a step up, as long as you have the amp for it. A/B-ing it with my Clear Mg, itā€™s just as good or better coming off my Jotunheim 2, and from what Iā€™ve read/heard that amp wonā€™t really do them justice.

2 Likes

ONLY if you have the amp for it! My Violectric V220 couldnā€™t do anything with it. My Liquid Platinum was good with it and adding the Schiit Loki made it better.
My iFi Pro iCAN made it magical, but that required mid-gain, lots of bass boost and lots of 3D sound effects. At least for me.

Everyone hears differently.

3 Likes

It will require significant amp investment. If youā€™re uninterested in addressing source chain, Iā€™d look elsewhere. Theyā€™ve proven very rewarding for many. Theyā€™ve also proven notably unreliable for some as well. Iā€™m intrigued with some of the low pricing that has been made available - but, I resist.

Hifiman and Focal are my 2 of my favorite headphones but they are different enough that I think having one of each is worth it, dont think one is an upgrade over the otherā€¦

I think they sound different enough that I dont know if the he6v2 is a direct upgrade from elexā€¦ But it is one of my favorite sit back and listen headphonesā€¦ The focal elex is very good but its different

To me, the he6 v2 is more resolving and clear than the elex, has better soundstage also. Elex is slightly darker not quite as clear, the he6 v2 has the planar type of detail but still has more bass and punch than other hifimans (eg. the sundara) without being muddy, it scales well with an improved amp - I run it balanced on a bifrost2+burson soloist and it really is quite good, at that pricepoint I prefer it to the elex. However, I do also like focals, they have a very energetic and a punchy addicting dynamic driver sound which is fun if not quite as detailed imho. I also have a focal clear and focal radiance though so I find I dont listen to the elex quite as much now, but the Elex is very good. I find the clear just a bit better on the high end, the elex to me feels tiny bit more laid back but also good if that is your preference, but the he6 v2 probably gets more play than any of them for meā€¦ Even though I have an Arya and a he1000v2 I actually find I listen to the he6v2 most tbhā€¦ I really like the he1000v2 its the most detailed headphone I own but maybe not the one I enjoy listening to the mostā€¦

If I had to choose just 1 hifiman and 1 focal, I think I might actually choose the he6 v2 and focal radiance, I feel like they are both good values and play well with most musicā€¦ The clear is more open than the radiance and very resolving but I just really like the punch and energy of the radiance, also to have an open back planar and a closed back dynamic

3 Likes

Is a Cayin iHA-6 adequate for amping or no?

1 Like

Nice I appreciate the info as its been something Iā€™m toying with. I will only have a good vintage speaker amp to run them off of until my dad makes me some tube amps to run them and some others. Just debating on if I want to spend the money since Iā€™m fairly happy with what I have. I really like having a quality planar and a quality dd in the stable to enjoy. :smiley::+1:

1 Like