šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

I just use the Xduoo TA-30 for my preferred amp, and its tubes.

You can use the THX 789 from Drop to power it plenty and reasonably priced for its multiple output options. I could have only this amp for IEMs, headphones, and hard to drive HE6SE V2, and I would be content.

I also feel content if I only had the Xduoo TA-30 on my desk. That ones like $600 now on drop, and not to mention buying tubes it could cost at least $700 total more or less.

Though finding and exploring tubes is fun, and they look really nice, some people may feel it a bit of a leap to get into learning which tubes make the best sound for them, and the costs involved.

I love the tube style and way of enjoying the hobby though. If I would have to choose between the 789 and Bifrost DAC, and just having the sound from my tube DAC/amp TA-30, I would have started it all with just the TA-30, and never have to get anything else.

Butā€¦whether true or not, I also enjoy using the Bifrost as my DAC and the TA-30 just for an amp, maybe more than the TA-30 working alone as both the DAC and amp all in one (which it can do).

Iā€™m real torn. I kind of want to sell it all, or give the gear away someday through Patreonā€¦idk. I donā€™t really want to give up the chance that the Bifrost really does improve things.

1 Like

So the Asgard 3 should be enough then.

Hey, does anyone have any advice on pad rolling? What are the best go-to replacement pads?

My personal favorite is there brainwavz XL micro suede because they are huge inside and help with soundstage size while still keeping that bass slam nice and tight. Dekoni choice suede is also pretty good but not as big.

1 Like

I recently got the Soloist 3x and it drives the HE-6seV2 perfectly. It does a better job than my class A stereo amp. The most I have needed is 77 out of 99 steps in high gain with the Bifrost 2 and Roon. I also bought a 2nd He-6seV2 at $650 because I like these headphone too much.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s the EQ Iā€™m using on my HE6se (stock pads). That 4k peak is way too much for liking lol. I used the HD600 as my reference rather than Harman

Equalizer: Generic
No measurement
Filter 1: ON LS          FC 140  Gain  1.5 Q 1
Filter 2: ON PK          FC 30  Gain  1 Q 1
Filter 3: ON PK          FC 1700  Gain  4 Q 1.4
Filter 4: ON PK          FC 4000  Gain  -7.5 Q 2.6

1 Like

I just picked up the HE6se V2 and know you have the modded GL2000 like I do. Which do you like better?
Iā€™m having a hard time picking a clear winner.

1 Like

Oh you have both right now and youā€™re not sure which you prefer?

Iā€™m all about the HE6SE over the GL2000. Interesting!

1 Like

I donā€™t know that I have a clear winner either and Iā€™ve had them both for quite a while. He6 stomps the gl2k on bass no question but neither of them are perfect all arounders, either. I use the gl2k over the he6se for gaming because itā€™s a little darker and the bass is subdued and stays out of the way for gaming and the spatial depth and accuracy the gl2k has on big shooters is super useful. Iā€™ll probably keep both until I get a pair of susvaras to replace the he6.

1 Like

Did anyone experience any QC issues with HE6SE V2? As Iā€™m located outside of USA, apparently I may not be eligible for any form of warranty if I ship them outside of USA. That makes me a little hesitant to complete my order. Even during sale at 650 USD, its pretty expensive. Generally howā€™s the build and quality?

Yes, my left driver died after 4 months. I wouldnā€™t buy these or any headphone new without a warranty.

1 Like

Although they are not even bad headphones, the manufacturer has right problems in quality assurance.
Even with top models there are problems - a real shame and not really acceptable for the money youā€™re spending.
If you still want them, the clear recommendation would be to buy in the country where you live as a fallback level if something should be wrong with them.
With any other headphone you can say yes but not with Hifiman.
For the money, a used Lcd 2 is better or even the Aeon R/T more worthwhile.
To be honest.
Or even a Quad Era 1 will probably be better if the head is not too big.:blush:

1 Like

Yea Adorama is checking with Hifiman with regards to this. Hopefully Iā€™ll hear from them soon.

1 Like

just got the HE-6 (OG 4 EP). I am really loving it.

As I also have the HE-6 (OG 6 screw)ā€¦so, letting go of my HE6SE V2 (purchased from aodorama in late March) for usd 525 (including shipping to anywhere) for anyone who want to try HE6SE V2

2 Likes

Iā€™m honestly shocked you could find a 4 screw. Congrats. :+1:

1 Like

Update from Adorama: I can still file a warranty claim even if the item is brought out of USA. Theyā€™re currently checking if I have to send the headphones back to USA in the event of a warranty claim or I can send it to other countries which are nearer to my location.

According to Hifiman Customer Service: its a special approval that theyā€™ll extend the warranty to me, :woman_shrugging:t2:

So I have no idea if the warranty by default covers international customers or it requires approval. Anyone shipping these out of USA, do take note. Adorama service has been nothing but awesome so far, just reach out to them for assistance! :+1:

3 Likes

yeah adorama kicks ass. theyā€™ve always been good to me over the years. i even had something break like a month after the warranty period expired and they still replaced it even though they didnā€™t have to.

1 Like

Your HE-6 journey is complete, congrats!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been using the HE6se for the past couple weeks with my Soloist 3X + Ares II (almost exclusively). I have to say Iā€™m extremely happy with the purchase. These absolutely perform at $1k+ level and so theyā€™re a great value at under $700.

For technical performance, I found them to excel in dynamics, detail, separation, and bass extension/slam. At least those are the areas I care about most.
Dynamics in particular set them apart from my second best Hifiman, the Sundara. The two of them sound very similar in terms of presentation and timbre. But the Sundara sounds very flat while the HE6 sounds much more lively in comparison.

The one big flaw I found them to have is the stock tuning. They have a large peak around 4k which I find to be completely unbearable. But after EQā€™ing that out, they become one of my cans. So unless youā€™re OK with EQ or pad rolling, or are just cool with almost any tuning, you probably shouldnā€™t take a chance on these.

For amp pairings, I found the Soloist 3X works great. I think something like 5 other people here also had the same opinion. So itā€™s definitely a safe choice.
The one other amp I have that works decently is the Asgard 3. The performance is great for the price. The dynamics arenā€™t as good and the treble sounds harsher. But if itā€™s all you got, the HE6se is still arguably worth picking up. However the use of EQ or something is even more essential in that case.

6 Likes

@Resolution dude messaged me and said he put some back up and I know you need a pair.

every time he puts them up they go up by a dollar lol. every time.

3 Likes