đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Oh you have both right now and you’re not sure which you prefer?

I’m all about the HE6SE over the GL2000. Interesting!

1 Like

I don’t know that I have a clear winner either and I’ve had them both for quite a while. He6 stomps the gl2k on bass no question but neither of them are perfect all arounders, either. I use the gl2k over the he6se for gaming because it’s a little darker and the bass is subdued and stays out of the way for gaming and the spatial depth and accuracy the gl2k has on big shooters is super useful. I’ll probably keep both until I get a pair of susvaras to replace the he6.

1 Like

Did anyone experience any QC issues with HE6SE V2? As I’m located outside of USA, apparently I may not be eligible for any form of warranty if I ship them outside of USA. That makes me a little hesitant to complete my order. Even during sale at 650 USD, its pretty expensive. Generally how’s the build and quality?

Yes, my left driver died after 4 months. I wouldn’t buy these or any headphone new without a warranty.

1 Like

Although they are not even bad headphones, the manufacturer has right problems in quality assurance.
Even with top models there are problems - a real shame and not really acceptable for the money you’re spending.
If you still want them, the clear recommendation would be to buy in the country where you live as a fallback level if something should be wrong with them.
With any other headphone you can say yes but not with Hifiman.
For the money, a used Lcd 2 is better or even the Aeon R/T more worthwhile.
To be honest.
Or even a Quad Era 1 will probably be better if the head is not too big.:blush:

1 Like

Yea Adorama is checking with Hifiman with regards to this. Hopefully I’ll hear from them soon.

1 Like

just got the HE-6 (OG 4 EP). I am really loving it.

As I also have the HE-6 (OG 6 screw)
so, letting go of my HE6SE V2 (purchased from aodorama in late March) for usd 525 (including shipping to anywhere) for anyone who want to try HE6SE V2

2 Likes

I’m honestly shocked you could find a 4 screw. Congrats. :+1:

1 Like

Update from Adorama: I can still file a warranty claim even if the item is brought out of USA. They’re currently checking if I have to send the headphones back to USA in the event of a warranty claim or I can send it to other countries which are nearer to my location.

According to Hifiman Customer Service: its a special approval that they’ll extend the warranty to me, :woman_shrugging:t2:

So I have no idea if the warranty by default covers international customers or it requires approval. Anyone shipping these out of USA, do take note. Adorama service has been nothing but awesome so far, just reach out to them for assistance! :+1:

3 Likes

yeah adorama kicks ass. they’ve always been good to me over the years. i even had something break like a month after the warranty period expired and they still replaced it even though they didn’t have to.

1 Like

Your HE-6 journey is complete, congrats!

1 Like

So I’ve been using the HE6se for the past couple weeks with my Soloist 3X + Ares II (almost exclusively). I have to say I’m extremely happy with the purchase. These absolutely perform at $1k+ level and so they’re a great value at under $700.

For technical performance, I found them to excel in dynamics, detail, separation, and bass extension/slam. At least those are the areas I care about most.
Dynamics in particular set them apart from my second best Hifiman, the Sundara. The two of them sound very similar in terms of presentation and timbre. But the Sundara sounds very flat while the HE6 sounds much more lively in comparison.

The one big flaw I found them to have is the stock tuning. They have a large peak around 4k which I find to be completely unbearable. But after EQ’ing that out, they become one of my cans. So unless you’re OK with EQ or pad rolling, or are just cool with almost any tuning, you probably shouldn’t take a chance on these.

For amp pairings, I found the Soloist 3X works great. I think something like 5 other people here also had the same opinion. So it’s definitely a safe choice.
The one other amp I have that works decently is the Asgard 3. The performance is great for the price. The dynamics aren’t as good and the treble sounds harsher. But if it’s all you got, the HE6se is still arguably worth picking up. However the use of EQ or something is even more essential in that case.

6 Likes

@Resolution dude messaged me and said he put some back up and I know you need a pair.

every time he puts them up they go up by a dollar lol. every time.

3 Likes

F
king sweet dude!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

1 Like

How different is the 6 screw to your ear?

If I had a HE6SE 6 screw
.that would be interesting. I have a demo in my next video of the V2 from Adorama, but no other version.

it really is like what has been described before by others.

HE6SE V2 sounds really really good (There are very few headphones out there that can beat it unless you’re willing to spend exponentially more)

until you’ve heard OG 6-screw. When you compare the 6-screw to the HE6SE V2, you will realize that the V2 sounds thin compared to the 6-screw. 6-screw sounds a lot more fuller and intimate.

1 Like

FWIW I had a 6 screw, 4 screw, and se v2 all at once and kept the se v2. Came down to a synergy thing for me. On more analytical amps like an a90 the 6 screw was a little better and more musical than the others but all 3 on a burson soloist 3xp I’d take the se v2. The v shaped opamps filled everything in the low end flawlessly with the se v2 but the 6 screw got a little too warm and it wasn’t quite right for me. A pad swap was the final touch. I also felt like I got a noticeable amount more resolution out of the se v2. On a parasound a21+ it was basically the same outcome for me as the burson but the 6 screw sounded a little too smooth for me overall. The 6 screw is definitely a touch more intimate but im a bit of a soundstage whore so the extra space on the se v2 was definitely more to my taste. I plugged my se v2 into the wrong interconnect plug that was hooked up to my a90 the other day and i couldn’t figure out why it sounded so off. Definitely a picky headphone. I couldn’t find anything that worked exactly perfect for me with the 4 screw and liked it the least of the 3 though all things said it is still a great headphone as well.

I really think people with these headphones need to hear them on a burson soloist 3xp. Even if they think they like them a lot on whatever amp they have.

3 Likes

What pads are you using on the v2?

I’ve bounced around a lot between dekoni choice suede, brainwavz XL micro suede gaming (the “cooling gel” seems to help with seal) and these give the best soundstage gains being that they’re pretty deep and sometimes some 115mm aliexpress leathers which are surprisingly nice. The brainwavz I think are my favorite all arounders sound wise and though I haven’t had a problem yet, I’ve heard they don’t last all that long and start to fall apart but mine have held up fine with daily use for about 9 months so far and for the $30 they cost I wouldn’t mind replacing them once a year if it came down to it.

1 Like

Did you add a mesh filter to your pair? Any recommendations?