šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

$108 shipped to the US @billwhite7294

1 Like

iirc, you only need the converter box if youā€™re using tubes. if youā€™re using solid state, you donā€™t need it. Just get the speaker to headphone cables.

Yeah, iā€™m having skedra just make a converter cable for me. cost about 130$

1 Like

Hmmm. To start off I think the timbre of the bf2 + 3xp would be better than the 1541+280, speed wise I think the soekris + vio would be quicker and better separated, impact wise the bf2 + 3xp will hit harder, spatially the soekris + vio is wider and more spacious with similar depth between the 2 stacks imo, dynamically they might be similar to each other but the soloist focuses more on macro while the vio more on micro, resolution wise the vio might have a bit edge in resolution, for tonal density the burson will be more thick and meaty, signature wise the burson + bf2 will be more forward warmer and the vio would be pretty neutral imo.

If you do go for the he6, I think the burson + bf2 would be a better choice, but if you go diana v2 Iā€™d rather have the vio + soekris

Pretty different headphones overall, generally overall though I do think the diana is both more refined and more capable in most aspects, but the he6 will still have harder impact and slam and more tonal density. he6 is more fun leaning though

1 Like

i just got my HE-6 (6 screw). oh god. heā€™s right.

running the HE6se v2 and the HE-6 off the burson soloist 3xp. Interestingly, whereas I usually keep the volume at 17 for the HE6se V2, I need to turn it up to around 25 for the HE-6.

For ppl who are still searching for HE-6, i think thereā€™s a new HE-6 (possibly 4 screw version) on walmart (online sale only).

2 Likes

That walmart seller is super sketchy to me. If someone else takes the risk I wish you luck.

1 Like

Damn I play my 1266 Phi TCs at ā€œnormalā€ volume at 50 on high gain and if I want to rock out itā€™s closer to 70. Havenā€™t tried power amp mode yet or rolled op amps.

Also Iā€™ll eventually get the OG HE6 but Iā€™ll wait for the hype to die down and get a used one for decent pricing.

1 Like

6-screw HE-6ā€™s (in great condition) couldā€™ve been had for $800 a few months ago.

Is the 6 screw the one that most people prefer of the og ?

Usually the 4S (especially early production ones) is the preferred variant since a stock HE-6 4S has a little bit more air and soundstage than the 6S. The stock 6S supposedly sounds a little darker and more closed-in but with a tad bit more bass presence. Prior to the recent upswell of interest in the HE-6, HE-6 4S were generally $1100-1200 and HE-6 6S were generally $700-800 on the used market.

I have a modded HE-6 4S (early production) and a modded HE-6 6S. I drive both of these from my Bryston 3B-ST power amp (DAC: Bifrost 2); my friend swears by his Bryston 3B-ST/DC2 combo. Frankly, they sound pretty close together with velpads. The 6S does sound a tiny bit darker, less airy, and a little bit more closed in. The bass between the two is a toss-up to my ears, very punchy and textured. To me, the treble on my 4S sounds more controlled than the 6S, the latter can get peaky at times. Again, that could be due to how they were modded.

I havenā€™t listened to any HE6se versions yet.

2 Likes

Listening to the original HE6 is on my bucket list, but Iā€™m also in no rush. Once they trickle back to the market I may buy one for curiosity. Probably wonā€™t try HE6SE unless a friend loans me a pair.

Do you really need a speaker amp to drive these?

No lol watch this starting at 2:30. Though you do need a powerful headphone amp

I just use the Xduoo TA-30 for my preferred amp, and its tubes.

You can use the THX 789 from Drop to power it plenty and reasonably priced for its multiple output options. I could have only this amp for IEMs, headphones, and hard to drive HE6SE V2, and I would be content.

I also feel content if I only had the Xduoo TA-30 on my desk. That ones like $600 now on drop, and not to mention buying tubes it could cost at least $700 total more or less.

Though finding and exploring tubes is fun, and they look really nice, some people may feel it a bit of a leap to get into learning which tubes make the best sound for them, and the costs involved.

I love the tube style and way of enjoying the hobby though. If I would have to choose between the 789 and Bifrost DAC, and just having the sound from my tube DAC/amp TA-30, I would have started it all with just the TA-30, and never have to get anything else.

Butā€¦whether true or not, I also enjoy using the Bifrost as my DAC and the TA-30 just for an amp, maybe more than the TA-30 working alone as both the DAC and amp all in one (which it can do).

Iā€™m real torn. I kind of want to sell it all, or give the gear away someday through Patreonā€¦idk. I donā€™t really want to give up the chance that the Bifrost really does improve things.

1 Like

So the Asgard 3 should be enough then.

Hey, does anyone have any advice on pad rolling? What are the best go-to replacement pads?

My personal favorite is there brainwavz XL micro suede because they are huge inside and help with soundstage size while still keeping that bass slam nice and tight. Dekoni choice suede is also pretty good but not as big.

1 Like

I recently got the Soloist 3x and it drives the HE-6seV2 perfectly. It does a better job than my class A stereo amp. The most I have needed is 77 out of 99 steps in high gain with the Bifrost 2 and Roon. I also bought a 2nd He-6seV2 at $650 because I like these headphone too much.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s the EQ Iā€™m using on my HE6se (stock pads). That 4k peak is way too much for liking lol. I used the HD600 as my reference rather than Harman

Equalizer: Generic
No measurement
Filter 1: ON LS          FC 140  Gain  1.5 Q 1
Filter 2: ON PK          FC 30  Gain  1 Q 1
Filter 3: ON PK          FC 1700  Gain  4 Q 1.4
Filter 4: ON PK          FC 4000  Gain  -7.5 Q 2.6

1 Like

I just picked up the HE6se V2 and know you have the modded GL2000 like I do. Which do you like better?
Iā€™m having a hard time picking a clear winner.

1 Like