đŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

sorry what am I comparing? lol

The flux amp and others you’ve tried with he6se
Btw, which flux amp is it? Fa10?

how long ago did you buy it? you might actually be covered. i think they have a 90 day policy for new items and they’re approved hifiman resellers so they carry hifimans warranty.

1 Like

I got the FA-10 I’m going to try burning it in a bit because there was some sort of harshness to it at slightly above reasonable volume hoping that goes away
Think I prefer my A90 sound wise though
Having my Jnog at max I only get to around 50% to around 60% on low gain on the FA-10 (worth noting the scaling of volume increase 0-30% is inaudible but going from 50% to 60% doubles the volume) vs around 75% on low gain with the A90
Pumps out a lot of heat
Haven’t used my other amps lately but I’ll probably get some set back up this weekend (options are zen can, 789, darkvoice, LDMK3se, liquid spark)

Have you tried maxing out the volume in high gain and using your DAC to control the volume?

1 Like

Not the original owner. Not sure on that. I assume it would be a out of pocket repair situation. The sad thing is I should have the Burson Soloist coming today (based on your recommendation). I was itching to get rid of that speaker amp (fearing this exact thing). Damn! lol

Thanks for the suggestion!

I had to replace mine and i was also not the original owner, as long as you have the invoice and you are within the warranty period which i think is 1 year you should be good.

Hifiman sucks at QC but they have good customer support, they may be able to help you even after the 1 year with a discount on the repair or something, i would contact them anyways.

Btw you are in for a treat with the HE6 + Soloist combo!

1 Like

JNOG only has 3 gain levels no actual volume control

I’ve been fooling around with EQ for the H6SEv2. I have to say that it doesn’t really need EQ the way that Audeze do, but it still benefits from it.

My current settings are below. For those used to seeing measurements and EQ profiles for these, that 5.5 KHz boost may look a little surprising, but it really helps improve vocal presence and clarity, and to my ear it’s really required to balance out the harmonics and maintain decent timbre after boosting 2 KHz.

2 Likes

i just found this on taobao and it’s a $43 suspension headband conversion kit and it looks like you can get some metal nice looking abyss style cups for just $4 more.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.59e8242flkBlyJ&id=656091453664&ns=1&abbucket=3&mt=

Hey @Pokrog, i am thinking on pulling the trigger on these pads since they are your #1 choice and every other rec from you was spot on:

I love the HE6 even with stock pads but if there is anything else i can do to improve the bass slam a bit further i want to try it.

My question is, when it comes to bass slam are those the pads you would recommend? Or there are others you tried that would benefit slam more? I know you love these mainly because of the soundstage.

1 Like

Hey! Sorry to storm in, don’t get the XL sized-pads. They’re too large. I wouldn’t recommend that as they may not fit right.
I don’t have these cooling gel ones, but I have the XL Sheepskin ones - they’re just too large for Hifiman 400is, the Fostex X-00s etc. I don’t have them with me right now, otherwise I’d sent a photo - but they fit funny. They’re large and make the drivers too distant, coming out the sides. I think they may work for AKG 7Xx or maybe the AKG K553 series headphones, but not these. Even for Monolith M1060s, they would be large.

I can’t tell you exactly what may work better for the slam, but try Fostex earpads. I can share some photos of those though - I found some cheap $20 ones on AliExpress, I have two pairs, fenestrated and otherwise. Fostex earpads may fit fine - though I would recommend the ones with wider inner holes - not the stock X00/Denon style ones (keep note, the stock Massdrop Fostex earpads - I don’t think you’d want them. They’re good for slam, yes, but the openings are very small - two knuckle or so).

You may find some stuff on AliExpress.

Also, I know, it’s silly as F, but I slapped on some Steelseries pleather pads on my Hifimans. They’re kind of too short, but fit well. Cheap $5 or $10 ones. They do really help bring drivers even closer - I felt they had even more soundstage/openness AND slam as driver distance was further reduced.

But still, best bet for you to have good pads and still not make them look dorky would be Fostex earpads.

something like this: Apply to DENON AH D2000 D5000 D5200 D7000 D7200 D9200 Headphones replace Sheepskin Memory cotton ear pad Ear Cover|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

or this: Defean Replacement Sheepskin Ear pads for Hifiman HE400 400I 400S HE560 560I HE500 300 350 HE3 5 6 Headphone|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

Dekoni velors are looove (I got em free with my He4XX) but always a bit on the pricier side. But Dekoni are the best, hands down.

1 Like

Those and the 115mm version of Universal 70 120MM Replacement So Soft Foam Ear Pads Cushions for Sony for AKG for beyerdynamic Headphones|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress
They’re really thick but super squishy so they compress a lot and trap a lot of bass. And they’re cheap. I’m at work so I can’t link or screenshot but if you look on squig.link on Hawaii bad boys measurement graphs for the he6 with just grills you’ll see what opening the grills up does to bass. It’s like a 10+ db increase at around 20hz and I think he uses stock pads so there’s even more to be had.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying about fitment and dragging the stage out, but the he6 has maybe the smallest stage out of all hifiman circle cans.

I see. No, I was just advising him not to get the XL earpads - at least not for the any of the Hifiman circle cans.

I think what he’s looking for is 105mm - the XL pads are I think 110mm, a bit too large.
I regret my purchase - as nice as they are made, I now have to find something they fit.

Yeah maybe I just have big ass ears cause stock pads are way too small for me lol. The 105s are also a lot thinner and something about the 35mm thickness with the really soft foam in the 115s after compressing down is a lot of why I think they do so well with bass and the 105s compressed too far and my ears barely touch the inside and it tickles my ears. There’s something right about the cooling gel micro suede XL ones that just works for the he6.

Hmmm I see - well if someone’s successfully tried them, that would be another thing. I do see, they have everything going for them - everything, besides the circumference.

When I tried the XL sheespkins on my Hifiman, they were coming out beyond the circumference of the earcups, as as such the fit was strange, that’s why I took them off instead. Also, I was losing on the sound, having to raise the volume more, and it was a mixed bag - on one hand the sheepskin and the memory foam was keeping more of the bass (as opposed to the Focus type pads), but on the other, the earpads were large enough to actually absorb part of the sound, and instead, bringing down sPL, so the end result was - not good to me at least.

Tried on the Fostex headphones - all their glorious low-end was just
 lost.

I wish Brainwavz would do a bloody 105mm size. 100mm is a tad too small, 110mm is a tad too large.

Thanks man, i already have my grills off from day 1, now i am just figuring out if there are even more ways to improve that bass which is already pretty good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@luizgarcia @ATK yeah they’re definitely both big pads. AliExpress 115s left and Brainwavz XL micro suede gaming pads right.

1 Like

Hmmm
 so now is it a good thing or a bad one?