šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

I hear you on the quality. These are my fourth pair of HiFimanā€™s and I have only ever had one problem, the pad unrolling around the foam.

Now I havenā€™t always cared for the sound of different HiFiman headphones. But their quality has been just fine for me. In spite of their sometimes underwhelming performance, I keep buying them. :laughing:

Yeah, it took me a while to find the ones I like in their lineup and it took some decent source gear to even make some shine, (HE6 really tested my patience with sufficient powering and the HEKse took some serious fine tuning to get the most out of the clarity and resolution theyā€™re capable of and Iā€™m sure they have more to offer with better gear) but now that I have them in a system that does them at least some justice Iā€™m pretty happy with them. I would really love to get my hands on a pair of Susvaras or eventually down the line a pair of Shangri-La Sr to see what their TOTL stuff is like but Iā€™m skeptical of how much better theyā€™d be or if my source gear is even close to capable enough to make the differences even worth it yet but Iā€™m in no rush. I will say that the HE6 sent me down a pretty huge rabbit hole and taught me a lot about what matters (objectively and to my preferences) in the scope of things and that in itself was worth the journey to me.

3 Likes

Testing HE6se with ZMF Auteur Solid pads. Itā€™s so good. It improves bass. More comfortable.

3 Likes

Nice! If you want some more improvement in its bass remove the stock grills man, it is SO much better. Also it looks cool.

4 Likes

I am going to. Is it just grills or anything else inside?

I also want to upgrade the cable. Do I need to look for a specific power requirements because HE6se are power hungry? Or any cable is just fine?

1 Like

nothing else to remove besides the grills
if you can run them balanced itā€™ll help give them extra juice

2 Likes

Yep just the grills, you can even leave them with no grills at all if you are confident nothing will pierce the drivers.

As for the cable, the power requirement makes no difference.

2 Likes

I will try.

1 Like

Hi everyone, is there any consensus on what the best pad swaps are for the SE V2?

I tried a few different ones and ended up back at the stock pads. Theyā€™re pretty comfortable, and sound wise I end up eqā€™ing anyway no matter what pads Iā€™m using.

2 Likes

I really like the ZMF Eikon pads. The leather perforated ones.

1 Like

I just tried a bunch dekoni elite earpads I would say its between fenestrated and velour earpads

4 Likes

I forget which review I read it from, but they recommended these and although I havenā€™t tried too many others, I keep going back to these. Iā€™m sure I picked whatever pads helped the bass the most based on my typical preference.

2 Likes

The Kennerton ECLs seem pretty cool, worth putting that on your list to check out.

1 Like

So the Nan-6 headband is really well made. Iā€™m shocked for the $40 it was. Might turn a pair into a full conversion.

3 Likes

How do you rate the Little Bear MC2? Iā€™ve just replaced my SU-8 in my living room with a Chord 2Qute. The Chord only has one set of RCAs though and I usually run my DAC to my speaker amp via RCA and then XLRs across the room to my headphone amp.

I donā€™t have much experience with preamps. Looking at this MC2 and an affordable solution to work with my 2Qute. Is it ā€œclean enoughā€?

The Nobsound NS-05p is a slightly upgraded MC2 and worth the $10-$15 extra, IMO.

Iā€™ve been eyeing the Luminous Axiom Mk. II as an upgrade, they take custom orders for inputs and outputs.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of keeping my Singxer for pre-amp duties but it seems a little overkill. I know which one my bank account would preferā€¦

holyā€¦ send me the buy link please! Iā€™ve been looking for an Audeze clone band forever now!

Itā€™s one guy that makes them and sells them on taobao. Just search Nan-6 and itā€™s the only shop selling them. Gotta be careful with the options though. Iā€™m thinking about cutting the yokes and drilling a hole to match the shape of the Nan-6 and using them for the XS.