šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

thanks man - let me go hunt it down, or ill trouble you for more help to get there.
Thatā€™s fine - I want a good headband for my good-cans-terrible-band M1060Cs.

Also, tell me more - that He1000 style strap with the holes - is that stock or did put that in?
Materials?

Also for what itā€™s worth, I canā€™t figure out an easy way to go about using this headbandā€¦

yeah that oneā€™s a kunt - or maybe the cans are.
Iā€™ve got the same one, the lower one, like I posted on XS thread.
Great screws - but theyā€™re fat and dont fit. For me round Hifimans, I may need to drill holes wider, or use a different screw/nut combo - itā€™s a shame, the one that comes has nice mechanics and the stoppers.

Yeah I actually really like the design but the yokes are just weird. They feel really solid, too.

Yeah, but they can be bent to adapt, then they stay put there. Anyhow - work in progress, all of this.

BTW Tabao is such a b!tch man - even account setup is a b!tch, I remember how I gave up on it the last time. Stupid shitty website with so many problems - such shit.

Anyhow - the strap on that Nan-6 headband - is that stock? the underpad? or maybe I think you put it in thereā€¦

nope, thatā€™s how it came.

taobao is definitely a bitch to use. gotta pay, wait for it to be ready to ship, pay again for customs, and wait forever and if anything happens you cant really directly contact the seller unless you have their specific chat appā€¦that you cant download in the US. itā€™s a nightmare for sure, but the pricesā€¦

I am planning to try the honeycomb grille mod on the he6 v2 but a little worried about dustā€¦ Any suggestions on the best way to make them really transparent but protect from dust collecting on the driver?

you can use the mesh thatā€™s on the stock grills on the honeycomb grills and keep it sealed. it works just fine. little bit of craft spray glue on the grill and stick it on and itā€™s done. thereā€™s probably better options out there though. i just leave mine open and religiously put them in a bag when iā€™m not using them.

2 Likes

I personally used some of the thinner materials from the dekoni tuning kit

1 Like

2 Likes

Iā€™m really digging this honeycomb grille mod on the he400se and he6v2! The stage gets so much bigger and sounds so clear, and Iā€™m liking the look of the silver drivers on the silver cups on the he400, and the gold driver on dark blue cups on the he6v2ā€¦ They look pretty awesome :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Listen to this man! :wink:

6 Likes

how does he6se v1 compare to he6se v2?

I think resolve did a video last year where he did compare all versions of the he6
If i remember correctly he liked the 6 screw version the most

2 Likes

I had forgotten about that video. I just watched it and it answered my questions, thanks.
TLDR; the original he6 is in a league of its own compared to the he6se v1/v2

I think that it is, but so few people with them talk about them. They are almost impossible to find used online. I would love to buy one if I could.

I ordered the honeycomb grills and just started thinking about doing the mod. I am going to attach panty hose or some sheer material to the back of the grill, to protect the drivers. My apartment is very dusty with lots of cat hair. I remember reading about application techniques, but I couldnā€™t remember where I saw it. I found it on the HE6se V2ā€™s thread on Head-Fi.

One guy has been using an Elmers roll on stick for his HiFiman grilles. It is called 2 X stronger as you can see it in the pic. My wife is picking up a 2-pack at a craft store today. The guy (theangelguy) on Head-Fi said to apply the glue liberally for good attachment. It is water based so you can do over, if not happy.

6551c435-e428-4df6-ae7c-d5d622fd441d_2.b846a5ae0bc8ef880a811280c6cdc0a8

I also wanted to let everyone know that the Xduoo M-604 can drive the He-6seV2 really well. I am using the Burson Soloist as a preamp and have put in some NOS tubes. The Tubes were just like 30 bucks total for all 4 of them.
The M-604 is way too good for itā€™s asking price. It has replaced my Liquid Gold X, Valhalla 2, and Dark Voice. Every headphone I have sounds great on it, from my ZMF Auteur, OG Focal Clear to the HE-6. Even IEMs sound good on it. I bought from Amazon for $170 USD.

1 Like

Funny you mention that. I was going to buy it, in fact ordered it and then cancelled the order. I then ordered the 602. No knobs to match and much cheaper to tube roll.

The 604 on Amazon.ca is $225.00, plus tax. The 602 was a month out. I ordered the 602 from Apos (doubling the warranty) for $150.00, tax in. I then used a $25.00 Amazon gift card and ordered two sets of matched tubes (GE Jan 5654Wā€™s and Voshkods) for $50.00.

I will try the amp by itself first, then use the Vio. V220 as a pre-amp and if I have to, pull out my SMSL SU-8. The SU-8 can pull down the volume nicely.

With my very efficient collection (outside of these headphones), I suspect that volume will be a problem.

Have you tried any very efficient headphones?

For what itā€™s worth, I had the 4,6, and se v2 on hand all at once and went through a lot of pad rolling, mods, and grill swaps and I personally like the se v2 more than all the rest. Anyone that says thereā€™s some kind of magical difference in drastically higher slam most likely didnā€™t address the actual differences and using hifiman branded pads on them is an absolute disservice to any he6 variant, IMO. The seal characteristics are drastically different than any other planar Iā€™ve ever heard and getting a full perfect seal on the he6 isnā€™t always good. The older velour pads used to breathe and that in itself allowed the dynamic swings to be a lot more controlled than fighting against the seal on newer pad styles that tame that slam a lot. The Nan-6 leather pads are secured with Velcro and that was what made me rethink the seal problem because the Velcro breathes past the pads when fully sealed and accomplished the same thing as the velours but kept the rumble and tamed the highs better than velour does and works really well with having the grills to alleviate any pressure build up that would slow down the driver on either side.

3 Likes