šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Hopefully Adorama will let me exchange them for another pair - Iā€™ll give them another shot, they really are amazng sounding headphones, but I canā€™t do 3+. Iā€™m amazed you bought enough to have 4 die on you lol

2 Likes

Sorry to hear! :neutral_face:
They really are great headphones, providing they work.

1 Like

he61

Aaaaaaand weā€™re back. Got my replacement HE6 v2 in today, promptly did the headband mod as well as the hex grill mod and fired these bad boys up on my Yggy / Ragnarok combo. Also got the AliExpress pads @Pokrog recommended on the way, but theyā€™re not here yet.

These are really, really nice. There is work involved in terms of getting the right mods (the stock headband is garbage) and ensuring thereā€™s no QC issues, but on this setup I really find these enjoyable to listen to. Wide soundstage, very detailed - very musical as Iā€™ve said before.

11 Likes

anyone tried em with a WA-11? andorama sales getting wild thinking about trying them again

Big shout out to @NtraXMod for hooking me up with a custom pair of pads for the HE-6, they look, feel and sound great!

6 Likes

Those look nice! If these are something he/she/they make and sell let me know because Iā€™ll be looking for a pair for my HE400is (same size cups as HE6) soon enough and would love to give my money to a forum member instead of Dekoni, Brainwavs, etc. How deep are they compared to the stock pads? Any noticeable sonic changes?

1 Like

Hey manā€¦glad you like them, :clinking_glasses:

Yes they are a little larger than the stock pads and I would say there is a little more depth and firmness to them which is what I was looking for, they feel less ā€œon-earā€ now. I specifically asked for ones with fabric that would add a little more bass.

Send @NtraXMod a PM if you are interested!

1 Like

Hey man, do you mind if I quote your review and photos in my FB page? Or maybe you can write a brief comment and review in my page, it would be greatly appreciated :+1:t2:. Thank you

A while back I tried Hifimanā€™s velour pads which filled in the 2 KHz dip nicely, but unfortunately kept the upper treble brightness and werenā€™t all that comfortable. I noticed someone on Headfi suggest the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pads as a good alternative, so I gave them a shot. They did not disappoint! 2 KHz sounds less laid back now, I donā€™t notice any excess brightness and the bass is still there. They sound even more detailed now, though maybe not quite as smooth as with the stock padsā€“a little more like a Sennheiser in that sense, but still much smoother. And the comfort is pretty excellent. Theyā€™re not deep, but deep enough that my ears fit without touching anything, and the fabric is miles better than Hifimanā€™s. I did have to trim down the diameter of Hifimanā€™s mounting rings a little to get the pads to fit, but that was easy enough.

So, if youā€™re looking to get rid of the Hifiman dip but keep most of the other positive attributes of the HE6SE, the DT990 pads are well worth a shot.

6 Likes

Two more benefits to these Beyerdynamic pads:

1. Because they donā€™t seal the way that leather + memory foam pads seal, thereā€™s no driver crinkle :slight_smile:

2. Also, the sound with or without glasses/hair/etc seems pretty similar since theyā€™re not sealing anyway

1 Like

im using the dekoni elite velours for hifiman it does a similar job but it also tames some of the treble too

2 Likes

FYI, the Geshelli Erish 2 is enough for these. In high gain, at 11, itā€™s already head-splitting loud.

well loudness and properly driven are two different things YMMV

2 Likes

How do you define properly driven?

Itā€™s louder than it should be to keep your ears in good condition and the amp is not breaking a sweat with plenty of headroom. What else do you desire?

I donā€™t know about you, but I desire that phat subbass weight that the HE6SE is capable of assaulting you with. Something a Monoprice THX 888 for example which could get them ear blistering loud, just didnā€™t bring relative to other amps.

What can I say? Tried several amps and they performed poorly.

Tried the E2 out of jest, expecting nothing. It was insufficient in low gain, but totally transformed in high gain.

I was very surprised. Even the SA-1, which is supposed to push 2W into that impedance, sounded terrible with them.

Our Wave Theory explains pairingsā€¦

Thatā€™s cool. Iā€™m sure there are more options in addition to the E2. But I think itā€™s more a matter of being able to supply enough current than anything else.
I should measure that actually.

all about the caps with bass. small caps, small bass. phat caps, phat bass.