šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

I recently bought one from hifiman.com Europe they had both the v1 and V2 available for Europe usa and canada

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw that too. I already own the HE6SE v1s and will probably pick up the V2 at some point, but Iā€™m in no hurry.

So did anyone else notice that the HE6SE V2s came back up for sale on the Adorama website for a couple days and then were taken down again? Either way, I went ahead and grabbed an open box pair from Hifiman directly so I can give them a head to head tryout with my HE6SE V1s. Most likely Iā€™ll end up selling whichever one loses that battle as I expect theyā€™ll be extremely similar so much so that keeping both would have no benefit. Thatā€™s what I found with the HE560 versions. I just wanted to get a pair of the V2s to try so that I can know for sure and I figured now was the time since it seems theyā€™re being discontinued and Iā€™d rather not end up scouring the used market in a year when curiosity gets the better of me and makes me start second guessing my assumptions. :joy:

If anyoneā€™s interested in how the V1 and V2 stack up, Iā€™ll go ahead an put together a post here. I even have my pair of OG HE6 six screws I can get in on the comparison action to make it more interesting.

7 Likes

I posted the picture of the website with HE6se, but then realized that it was out of stock.

1 Like

I need help and clarification. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

I use a He6se V2 with an SMSL SH-8S. Overall I think it works well. But in some songs it seems to me that the amplifier does not have enough power.
I was told itā€™s a current issue. But I donā€™t know what that is and I donā€™t even know how to identify an amplifier that has the necessary current.Would anyone be able to explain?
I canā€™t afford a very expensive amplifier. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be more accessible?

Thanks in advance.

Amp manufacturers donā€™t make it very easy to figure that out, Iā€™m afraid. And it isnā€™t as simple as just looking for something that can put out a bunch of Watts. Might be best to start with what your budget is. Then we can go about recommending something that is known to pair well with them.

Close to 500 dollars.
I was thinking about the Topping A90 Discrete.
I donā€™t know if it would be a good choice.

Topping has the new A70 pro which has more wattage at 64 ohms than the A90 discrete.

Youā€™re going to get different answers to that question. The people that like Topping products will tell you that itā€™s a great pairing, and the people that donā€™t like Topping will tell you that there are much better amps to look at. Iā€™ve personally never heard a Topping product, but enough people that I trust havenā€™t liked them, so I tend towards the latter. I can tell you that the Lyr+ was a surprisingly good pairing with it. Much better than the Jotunheim 2 was. Cayin also has a solid state amp, the model escapes me at the moment, that if you can find on the used market is supposed to be a nice pairing.

EDIT Itā€™s the IHA-6.

I agree with Michael, it will come down to personal preference. I own a pair of Starry Night headphones which also need extra power to sound their best. I have used them with a Burson Soloist 3XP (out of your price range), Topping L70 (the A70 pro is a better option now), a Schiit Gjallarhorn ($300 speaker amp), and a Schiit Asgard 3. The Soloist and Gjallarhorn did the best job in my opinion. The Gjallarhorn is a power amplifier so it requires a preamp to control the volume.

In your case, I would say that if you like the way your SMSL amp sounds, but you want more power go with the Topping A70 pro. If you want something that will change up the sound a bit more then go with an amplifier from Schiit Audio or Burson (if you can find a good deal). I am in the class AB and A camp, but sound is subjective so go with what suits your tastes.

My brother built me a custom headphone stand for my modified HE6se V2, so of course I used the excuse to post them here.

Still loving this headphone! I have many others but this one stays my daily driver because it does so many things so well.

9 Likes

Joined the HE6SE gang off of a trade. So far very fun headphone that works well with my burson soloist 3xp and questyle CMA12.

3 Likes

Good to know, as I also own a Soloist 3XP. I am still planning on purchasing a pair, but other headphone releases keep on convincing me to hold off. Lol

I purchased a 2nd Schiit Audio Gjallarhorn to go mono blocks for the SJY Audio Moonlight, so I will also try that out with the HE6SE once I get around to purchasing a pair.

1 Like

That will be a sick monoblock setup for sure.

1 Like

Lol, yeah. I will let you know how it turns out. The 2nd one is still on its way.

1 Like

So I got a fosi v3 48v and started playing around with it. Since everything in my system is balanced except for my euforia I used that to pre amp the V3. Holy hell that combination with the HE6SE is so good, no more harsh treble and bass really comes alive.

4 Likes

Makes my 30 watts per channel look like training wheels. :joy:

1 Like

I was looking at that same setup, minus the euforia. Could you give your impression of with just the fosi?

Yes it will be a couple of days though and what DAC are you running? My spring 2 is a very warm sounding DAC compared to Delta sigma DACs.

1 Like

Iā€™m using the OG J2.