šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Ok that should be comparable enough!

1 Like

A quick update: Something was odd with the XLR pre-outs on the L70 I was using as a preamp, so I am retesting the mono blocks with the Burson Soloist 3XP as the preamp. So far it seems to have fixed the issues I was having with the L70. Was just listening to Unleash The Archers ā€œTonight We Rideā€. The Bass had more power/slam, the sound stage opened up a bit, and vocals seems fuller (if that makes any sense). I will listen to some more tracks to see how well it performs. So far I like the setup even though the Soloist is technically better, the sound of the two Gjallarhorns is more pleasing when listening to Rock.

Awesome!! Is the he6 properly powered or is it just enough?

I forgot to post but I did some surgery to the HE6. And the headband mod is worth itā€™s weight in gold.

3 Likes

Very nice, Sir! Excellent move not hanging your cans by the leather strap.

1 Like

Lol I canā€™t stand that and if I could do something like that with all my cans itā€™d make me overjoyed.

I own the HE6SE v2 and also a zen dac ifi.
Could I use the zen dac just as a dac to power a thx aaa 789 (drop). Is this a good pairing to get lots of ā€œslamā€ ?

1 Like

Does anyone here have the HE6SEV1 and HE6SEV2? Are there any differences in sound? Enough to own both? I own the V1, but have been offered a good deal on a pair of V2s so I was just wondering.

The V2ā€™s are awfully impressive. I have never heard the V2ā€™s though.

I donā€™t find the V2ā€™s very bassy, but they take to bass boost/EQ like an Argon!

My favourite headphone is the Focal Clear. To me, the V2ā€™s are like Clearā€™s on steroids. Of course they need the right amp partner. But if you have a V1 set-up, then I would guess that you already have that covered.

I only have three headphones that I would never sell and the V2ā€™s are one of them.

Of course that is just an opinionā€¦ :grin:

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a difference sonically. At least not a significant one. Certainly not like there is between the OG 4-screw HE-6 and the HE6SE.

1 Like

Hey,
Yes the THX 789 can only handle 2.1 volts input before it clips in high gain mode, so thatā€™ll do the job as a DAC. The THX 789 has nice bass dynamics, and in high gain youā€™ll have headroom to equalize if you want.

I actually own an HE-6 early production six screw as well so it sounds like the V2 wouldnā€™t add much to my lineup.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :+1::sunglasses:

I just got a used and already-modded pair of HE6SEV2 on eBay, and while I enjoy them there is a slight buzzing/rattle in the left driver from mid to upper-mid frequencies. This has meant most humam voices stimulate this buzzing which is really distracting.

From what Iā€™ve read it doesnt sound like the driver is fully stuck, has anyone experienced something similar and found a solution? Due to the mods I cannot send it in for warranty repair, but maybe paid repair at Hifiman or elsewhere?

Are you sure itā€™s a stuck diaphragm or could there just be a hair in there? Heard itā€™s rather common issue

1 Like

It might be a hair, it doesnā€™t seem major enough to be stuck but Iā€™m not exactly sure. Not sure how Iā€™d remove a hair or even check if there is one in there

Getting used to these beasts from my Nighthawks, where is the next appreciable step up? Is it the Arya Organic/TH900/Radiance/Aeolus/HD800s tier, or would it be something in the HE1000se/E3/Verite/Empyrean range? I still plan on dabbling in mid-fi for a bit longer, but just curious.

Iā€™d go with the Gjallarhorn JM Mk2 if you want a similar sound signature and a step up in technicalities at the same time. Itā€™s not gonna be the exact same but the closest Iā€™ve heard so far.

Listening to Infected Mushroom - Part of the Dream flac via I2S from N6iii to iDAC-6 mk2 to iHA-6, this is absolutely incredible. Not sure how it goes up from here for this genre of music!

1 Like

The only complaint I have is at times female vocals come in a bit hot, like at various points listening to Distance by Hikaru Utada. I wonder if a tube pre would be sufficient to smooth that out.

1 Like

Iā€™d check the pads with your fingers all the way around each to tug a tiny bit and see if one of the clips is loose. They come off by inserting a credit card to release the first couple of clips and then it flops off. If one is loose, just push a credit card in to apply pressure, then push down on the spot on the pad with a finger to snick it into place. Common cause of buzzing.

1 Like